Rate Victory of the Daleks

Out of ten...

10
10
5%
9
22
10%
8
25
11%
7
31
14%
6
28
13%
5
28
13%
4
20
9%
3
26
12%
2
13
6%
1
19
9%
 
Total votes: 222
Deleted User 3134

vindu wrote:Oh my word... seeing "Evil 2" again makes me weep...

(i)...with joy, for how extraordinary Troughton was as an actor;
(ii)...with despair, for the lost episodes;
(iii)...with sorrow, that more people do not appreciate how good Doctor Who used to be.

Absolutely that's what was missing from the script, from Matt's acting, and from the direction: any sense that the Doctor could be afraid of the Daleks. Time War or no Time War, the Doctor should be scared of the main threat. He should be creeping and sidling around them, ever watchful for the gunstalk. He should know that he could be killed in an instant. He should be wary. He should be respectful.

cheers
Vin
Another benefit of Evil is the music – simple, sinister and brooding. But it’s Troughton’s reaction to the Daleks all through the story that kept me on the edge of my seat. He knows that the Daleks are evil, dangerous and scheming and communicated that to us viewers. It was great stuff – almost as good and Web of Fear.

And here’s the rub – Doctor Who at it’s classic best was dark and threatening. It’s when we understand the danger on screen as something visceral and identify with the Doctor’s dilemmas, that’s when we get sucked into the story.

The more apparently realistic the danger and menace faced by the Doctor the more chance there is of us getting dragged into the story. And big colourful Daleks – that look like buoyancy aids or sex toys – will do quite the reverse. Would Davros have been so effective if he’d turned up in a floral shirt and a pair of surfer shorts?

There are tried and trusted ways to create a sense of evil on screen and painting something a bright colour isn’t one of them.
xylok b
 
 
Posts: 750
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:02 am
Contact:

three things:
The doctor did get shot in Planet of the Daleks and i'm sorry but i liked Journey's End / The Stolen earth until the last ten minutes which were appauling...

Matt Smith did portray some fear of the daleks when brace well said these are my ironsides, the doctor stood back in shock

and finally evil was bloody brillaint!
Makkabee
 
 
Posts: 375
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:01 am
Contact:

vindu wrote:Does anyone here think that the story would have been a couple of notches better if the Daleks had actually been bluffing? The Doctor calls off the attack, the Daleks escape, the Doctor rushes back afraid that the Daleks have started up the bomb anyway, he dismantles the android guy, and finds... nothing.

Android guy, dead on the floor, irreparable, because the Doctor didn't want to take any chances. Doctor trying and failing to console himself with the thought that android guy was never really alive. Wouldn't that have been a wonderful victory? The Daleks win by psyching the Doctor out. Poetic justice for the jammy Doctor and his jammy dodger.

The ten/fifteen minutes saved at the end of the episode could be used to extending the first half of the episode and build up the tension and incongruity of the servant Daleks.

cheers
Vin
You know... that's a damned good idea.
"You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time." Abraham Lincoln (attributed)
User avatar
Kajaboy
 
 
Posts: 4823
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:11 am
Contact:

markhuk wrote:
I think you are forgetting that your whole point was "why didnt the Daleks just shoot him" - and as I pointed out they have had may chances to do that in the past - youve then completely ignored your original comment and accused me of
having no suspension of disbelief.
So once again your argument is crap.
Um..........I never said that was a reason I didn't like the episode. I never even mentioned it. Learn to read. You asked when? and I told you.
There are lots of reasons I didn't like this episode but that's not one of them. It's happened so many times now, and not just with the Daleks, so what's one more time?
My next door neighbour mixed up her KY jelly with the superglue. I asked her how she managed that but her lips are sealed.
User avatar
markhuk
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1089
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:21 pm
Contact:

Kajaboy wrote:
Um..........I never said that was a reason I didn't like the episode. I never even mentioned it. Learn to read. You asked when? and I told you.
There are lots of reasons I didn't like this episode but that's not one of them. It's happened so many times now, and not just with the Daleks, so what's one more time?
You are 100 % correct - I was originally disputing this with Ian J and when you took over the conversation I, wrongly, assumed it was he continuing - however if you had read the post properly - the original post you had quoted from you would have seen i was disputing his excuse - not yours - for disliking the episode which was tha the daleks had oppertuities to kill the Doctor but never took them - which as i have pointed out they have had numerous chances to do so and is therefore a rather weak arguament.

Personally I have less of a problem with people just saying it wasnt for me than I do with people who make up silly reasons.

Hope that clears up any confusion
User avatar
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden
Posts: 20969
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:01 am
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Contact:

King Womble wrote:The more apparently realistic the danger and menace faced by the Doctor the more chance there is of us getting dragged into the story. And big colourful Daleks – that look like buoyancy aids or sex toys – will do quite the reverse. Would Davros have been so effective if he’d turned up in a floral shirt and a pair of surfer shorts?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Best thing I've seen about this episode so far - including the episode itself - may well be that comment!
User avatar
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden
Posts: 20969
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:01 am
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Contact:

xylok b wrote:three things:
The doctor did get shot in Planet of the Daleks
I'd forgotten that. Remind me, where in the story did it happen?
and i'm sorry but i liked Journey's End / The Stolen earth until the last ten minutes which were appauling...
Well, I agree with you about the last 10 minutes at least!
Matt Smith did portray some fear of the daleks when brace well said these are my ironsides, the doctor stood back in shock
Yes, but I think he was more appalled at human stupidity than afraid of the Daleks. (After all he then went on to attack one with a spanner while shouting at it to kill him...)
and finally evil was bloody brillaint!
Yes, it was extremely well written (although don't look too closely at the plot....what were the Daleks up to, again?)
User avatar
Chad Moore
 
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:58 pm
Location: Valdosta, GA
Contact:

I know I'm in the minority here, but I thought it was a terrific little episode.

8 / 10
Nobbend
 
 
Posts: 166
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:57 pm
Contact:

Did they have Jammy Dodgers in WWII?
User avatar
markhuk
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1089
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:21 pm
Contact:

Chad Moore wrote:I know I'm in the minority here, but I thought it was a terrific little episode.

8 / 10
me too
Paul Martin

Nobbend wrote:Did they have Jammy Dodgers in WWII?
The Jammie Dodger first went on sale in 1935.
Nobbend
 
 
Posts: 166
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:57 pm
Contact:

LizR wrote:
xylok b wrote:three things:
The doctor did get shot in Planet of the Daleks
I'd forgotten that. Remind me, where in the story did it happen?
In episode 2 the Daleks blow up the Thal ship. The Doc think's Jo's inside and tries to stop then. They zap him on lo-power to knock him down- just like they did with Ian in The Daleks (The Dead Planet...The Mutants... Story 2... whatever).
Dobey Kweeg
 
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:26 pm
Contact:

markhuk wrote: i was disputing his excuse - not yours - for disliking the episode which was tha the daleks had oppertuities to kill the Doctor but never took them - which as i have pointed out they have had numerous chances to do so and is therefore a rather weak arguament.

Personally I have less of a problem with people just saying it wasnt for me than I do with people who make up silly reasons.
As someone who thinks (after the space sptifires) the Doctor not being shot by the Daleks (or rarther the way he presents himself conintually as an open target (begging for it at one point!) weakened this episode, I think i have to defend why I think this is perfectly valid rather than silly reason to not rate the episode!

Firstly, just because it has happened in the past doesnt mean it wasnt at least a bit silly when it happened then - Every time the Doctor is able to have a long conversation with a fully armed dalek that could zap him, and has every reason to, it weakens them as a threat, whether that be Hartnell or Smith.

Secondly I'd argue that saying that because something happened in the show in the past, an argument cant be valid against its inclusion in the present is a more silly argument - that way lies spoons! :) A bad idea is a bad idea, whether theres a precendent for it r not. This is one area where i think fan writers can fall into a trap, with this justification sitting on their shoulder subconsciously or not.
Russell Te Deus
 
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:46 pm
Contact:

Alvin should try and work up a script. The BBC make a point of encouraging new writers. Try searching for 'writers room' on their website. Good luck.
User avatar
Winston Churchill
 
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:20 pm
Contact:

Bah! This was a fine episode of Doctor Who, and an accurate dramatisation of the events that took place. The only thing I object to is that I feel the actor who portrayed me might have been rather more rotund than necessary. That aside it was splendid!

Yours

Winnie

Image
... Never surrender!
D.84

I thought the khaki WW2-style Daleks looked fantastic, i loved 'em !! I also loved that camera angle when the Doctor was talking with Churchill and a Dalek passes by in the distance. It's a shame Victory of the Daleks wasn't a 2 parter as it seemed a bit rushed. It was good the hear 'the final end' nod to 'The Evil of the Daleks'. Not too sure about the jammy dodger and definitely not sure about the new Daleks !!! That said, another great story and i'll give it "a not too shabby" 7/10.
Fatso the wombat

Nobbend wrote:Did they have Jammy Dodgers in WWII?
Shh... don't tell anyone, but this Doctor fellow travels in time, and probably had it in his pocket from when he was in the future, or summink... ;)
Deleted User 3134

Just got this email from the Beeb...

Thank you for your e-mail regarding 'Doctor Who'.

We understand you are unhappy that the show has undergone some changes, especially to the Daleks.

When we decided to redesign the Daleks we wanted to stay true to the show but at the same time the designers were also inspired by the Peter Cushing Doctor Who movies. They wanted the Daleks to be bigger, bolder and more powerful than ever before whilst protecting the essential make up of these famous figures. However, we are sorry if you disagree with us.

We would like to assure you that we have registered your comments on our audience log. This is the internal report of audience feedback which we compile daily for all programme makers and commissioning executives within the BBC, and also their senior management. It ensures that your points, and all other comments we receive, are circulated and considered across the BBC.

Thank you once again for taking the trouble to contact us.

Regards

BBC Complaints


Bigger, bolder and more powerful, eh? And looking like a large sex toy - was that also part of the brief?
User avatar
Prisoner Zero
 
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:48 pm
Location: Cardiff
Contact:

Yes did they have to make them look like outer space dildos! :x
User avatar
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden
Posts: 20969
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:01 am
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Contact:

Has anyone complained about the Doctor being totally unafraid of them? Weeping Angels scare the willies out of him, but Daleks . . . nah.
Post Reply

Return to “SERIES 5”

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests