New Daleks

What do you think of the new Master Race?

10 Be still my fluttering heart
3%
9 I wanna spend my Christmas with one
6%
8 Red and yellow and pink and green, purple and orange and blue. I can sing a Dalek invasion...
5%
7 At last they look like they've been dragged into the 21st century
4%
6 Not bad at all
4%
5 Not bad, but could have been better
12%
4 Not bad, but could have been so much better
8%
3 Bleurgh
17%
2 Monstrosities, and not in a good way
13%
1 Will have Terry Nation turning in his grave, and Davros turning in his wheelchair
10%
0 Words cannot describe now awful they are, but the number zero has been cropping up recently, so that will have to do.
18%

Total votes: 77
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

My personal opinion is that the new Daleks...

...Look rubbish in photos
...Look quite good on screen (to my surprise)
...Are too big - Daleks should be small enough that you don't feel there's someone inside, and definitely not space for a kitchenette and ensuite bathroom thrown in.
...Conform to the "alien tech" ideal that I've been wanting to see since the bolted-together blingy gold things first appeared, as I recently discovered this is an ideal apparently shared by one Raymond P. Cusick. That is, they look as though they've been created by some alien manufacturing process rather than a boy with a Meccano set. (The old style ones were admirably suited to a story in which everyone thought they'd been built in 1940, however.)
ianj
The Dominator
The Dominator

Words fail me. Really.ianj
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

ianj wrote:Words fail me. Really.ianj
I would have preferred the "new look" coupled to the "old outline". I like the idea that the Daleks should look like something really advanced and alien (like they did in the 60s, relatively speaking) rather than something bolted together in a garden shed, but the original shape is a design classic. Also, these new ones are huge - the sort of size that used to be reserved for the Emperor - the fact that they were always on the small side emphasised that the creature inside was also small, adding to the general alien effect. I'm hoping against hope that the ones we've seen are the "elite caste" and that they will start churning out more normal sized ones to do their soldiering etc.

In the meantime, imagine the scene - the Daleks return to one of their old abandoned cities, and find they can no longer fit through the doors....
Gorkle

LizR wrote:I would have preferred the "new look" coupled to the "old outline".
Did you catch the concept art on the BBC website? If you didn't, there's an early draft in black and white showing front, profile and rear. It almost looks like a Dalek with a wraparound cage, or sitting in a motive device. An awful lot seems to have been lost along the way. You can see the progression (or regression) in later drafts. A few Daleky bits were changed, a few details lost, but most significantly they chose not to paint the 'cage' in a uniform colour, which is hinted at in the greyscale shades of the earlier design. They also lost the front profile of the bumper, which balanced out the sticky-out thing with the grill on the back.

On screen it just looks like an odd series of pointless lumps. I would never have guessed it started off as a cohesive unit. I think the finished product fails on so many levels - including the 'looking threatening' level - that I give it a big fat zero. But I would give that early concept art a 5.
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Gorkle wrote:
LizR wrote:I would have preferred the "new look" coupled to the "old outline".
Did you catch the concept art on the BBC website? If you didn't, there's an early draft in black and white showing front, profile and rear. It almost looks like a Dalek with a wraparound cage, or sitting in a motive device. An awful lot seems to have been lost along the way. You can see the progression (or regression) in later drafts. A few Daleky bits were changed, a few details lost, but most significantly they chose not to paint the 'cage' in a uniform colour, which is hinted at in the greyscale shades of the earlier design. They also lost the front profile of the bumper, which balanced out the sticky-out thing with the grill on the back.

On screen it just looks like an odd series of pointless lumps. I would never have guessed it started off as a cohesive unit. I think the finished product fails on so many levels - including the 'looking threatening' level - that I give it a big fat zero. But I would give that early concept art a 5.
Do you have a link for this, perchance? :lizshaw:
Gorkle

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/dw/episo ... oncept_art

I wasn't sure if it would survive the Wednesday Night Changeover to this Saturday's episode, so I lifted the image from the Beeb website in case it gets reshuffled:

:
d11s01e03_dalek_art_07.jpg
d11s01e03_dalek_art_07.jpg (87.87 KiB) Viewed 1038 times
ianj
The Dominator
The Dominator

LizR wrote:
ianj wrote:Words fail me. Really.ianj
I would have preferred the "new look" coupled to the "old outline". I like the idea that the Daleks should look like something really advanced and alien (like they did in the 60s, relatively speaking) rather than something bolted together in a garden shed, but the original shape is a design classic. Also, these new ones are huge - the sort of size that used to be reserved for the Emperor - the fact that they were always on the small side emphasised that the creature inside was also small, adding to the general alien effect. I'm hoping against hope that the ones we've seen are the "elite caste" and that they will start churning out more normal sized ones to do their soldiering etc.

In the meantime, imagine the scene - the Daleks return to one of their old abandoned cities, and find they can no longer fit through the doors....
Imagine the scene...........a yellow and a white Volvo 244 reversing up together......CRASH! ***oops!, sorry, new daleks

I agree, Liz............but I think we are stuck with them, (they look like 70s colour scheme volvo 244's complete with the rubber bumpers) as the castings must be expensive, and theres lots of them......................the daleks WERE Iconic. These new ones have spoilt them dreadfully. Ray Cusick ( a lovely fellow), who attended the last curry night, and who was very animatedly talking about the alieness of the (clean) shaped originals, would be disgusted.ianj
ianj
The Dominator
The Dominator

New Dalek.

paulzeus

Glorified wheelie bins!
:(
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

paulzeus wrote:Glorified wheelie bins!
"motorised dustbins"....as I think someone once said.
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Gorkle wrote:Duh ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/dw/episo ... oncept_art

I wasn't sure if it would survive the Wednesday Night Changeover so I lifted the image

What do you mean :lol:

:
d11s01e03_dalek_art_07.jpg
Hmm. Thanks.
Gorkle

LizR wrote:Hmm. Thanks.
Sorry, that was a bit unclear. The 'duh' was self-admonishment for not thinking to post a link.

The orange text was Image 45's insertion, joshing. The pic temporarily disappeared and I thought it might have been modded for copyright infringement or something ... but he was doing site maintenance and had temporarily disabled uploads. So I contacted him and in the meantime I removed the pic. Then he re-enabled uploads and saw I'd taken the pic off and explained the situation, so I reposted it and he made a josh and it's all a bit complicated and it's been a long day. :VoidStuff: Post edited - again. :lol:

I really don't quite understand internet stuff. I'm still trying to come to terms with the wheel.
paulzeus

LizR wrote:
paulzeus wrote:Glorified wheelie bins!
"motorised dustbins"....as I think someone once said.

Didn't Micky have trouble with them? :o "burp!"
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Gorkle wrote:
Sorry, that was a bit unclear. The 'duh' was self-admonishment for not thinking to post a link.
I wasn't very clear either. The "Hmm" was to indicate that I wasn't sure about the redesign, even after seeing the earlier versions, not a comment of any sort on your post (the "Thanks" was, however!)
I'm still trying to come to terms with the wheel.
Yes, what's wrong with just two buttons on a mouse?
paulzeus

Yes, what's wrong with just two buttons on a mouse?[/quote]

Any more than that and the poor thing falls over! eek!
Bobspoons

Personally its the new shape that spoils them for me.

Although I preffer the old design, specifically the 9th/10th Dr Era, most of the new changes are fairly cosmetic and in the same vein as previous changes in the series.... appart from the main change to shape.

The new shape looks too big and bulky. Far too much like the "theres-a-bloke-sat-inside" syndrome which is a shame as the old line was so clean.
Daleks have always suffered from an aspect of disbelief on their manouverability (see all the stairs jokes) but the bigger looking shape makes them look more unwieldly.
I do think the new shape is a mistake. Doesnt detract from enjoying watching them really, but not impressed with it.

Sadly I also dont see the story reasoning. Shouldnt they all look like Daleks from Genesis Of The Daleks or similar time-period settings?? Or are we going to see something upcoming that will explain that? I suspect not and its just one of those things that happened.

I actually thought the new eye-stalks looked great.

Just too bulky. Almost armchair shaped. maybe theres now a different shaped creature inside them hence the shapechange.

But a note to end on, I dont think they are actually terrible, just not as good.

Alex
Posting name Bobspoons, real name Alex

PS: The avatar picture is "Alfred Chicken", for those of you who love the CBM-Amiga. Saw his pic in an avatar collection, wndered why he was there and decided somebody should keep the legend of Alfred alive.
Makkabee

LizR wrote:
Gorkle wrote:
I wasn't very clear either. The "Hmm" was to indicate that I wasn't sure about the redesign, even after seeing the earlier versions, not a comment of any sort on your post (the "Thanks" was, however!)
It worked for Walt Disney.
"You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time." Abraham Lincoln (attributed)
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Makkabee wrote:
LizR wrote:
Gorkle wrote:I'm still trying to come to terms with the wheel.
It worked for Walt Disney.
:lol:
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Robert Watkins wrote:They look like Teletubbies, minus handbags - pretty awful really
Could have been (slightly) worse...
ianj
The Dominator
The Dominator

Not much. We will probably get a pink one as well.ianj

Return to “SERIES 5”

• Information