Rate The Time of Angels

Marks out of ten

10
59
31%
9
50
26%
8
37
19%
7
22
11%
6
6
3%
5
6
3%
4
3
2%
3
3
2%
2
1
1%
1
5
3%
 
Total votes: 192
Nobbend
 
 
Posts: 166
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:57 pm
Contact:

Robert Watkins wrote:The BBC should have repeated last week's episode before tonight's with an apology before hand and we could have had a double bill.
I nice idea, but unlikely to happen. We may get an apology before tonight's episode tho...would that do you?
Makkabee
 
 
Posts: 375
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:01 am
Contact:

You'll get a cartoon BBC comptroller carrying a red balloon with the word "Sorry!!" emblazoned on it in sparkly letters during the climax of part two.
"You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time." Abraham Lincoln (attributed)
Nobbend
 
 
Posts: 166
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:57 pm
Contact:

Makkabee wrote:You'll get a cartoon BBC comptroller carrying a red balloon with the word "Sorry!!" emblazoned on it in sparkly letters during the climax of part two.
Or "Suck this, saddoes"
Larry
 
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:26 pm
Location: Wokingham, Berkshire
Contact:

9/10, thought there was no way Moffatt could improve on the brilliance of blink, but boy how wrong I was - and the Doctor's "never put me in a trap" speech is now up there with the great Doctor speechs of all time.
chap with wings
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 3651
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:51 am
Location: Colwyn Bay, North Wales
Contact:

So, just watched the Angels 2 parter, some thoughts:
production values seem higher than in the first 3 episodes.
Part 1 reminded me very much of Earthshock part 1, River Song is a lot more smug and unlikeable than in the Library story, Smith still not doing it for me, he still feels like some bloke saying lines and hasn't had a defining Doctor moment yet like the chips scene in "The End of the World" or the "no second chances" speech in The Christmas Invasion. Gillan fails to impress on all levels, Freema may have been wooden, but at least she was likeable.
Part 2 confused me with it's technobabble, and where did the attempted seduction scene come from? Oh and the continuity error with the Doctor suddenly wearing his jacket again was deliberate right?

Overall 5/10
"It can become a kind of franchise where it's not a real character at all, but just an amalgam of elements that people think are Doctor Who: a scarf, a bow tie... I wanted to be the actual Doctor Who." - Peter Capaldi

Follow me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/BlogFinish

My Big Finish Review Archive is here - http://blogfinishplanetmondas.blogspot.co.uk/
User avatar
fellis_who
 
 
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:31 pm
Contact:

chap with wings wrote: Overall 5/10
Its better than that, surely :?
chap with wings
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 3651
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:51 am
Location: Colwyn Bay, North Wales
Contact:

fellis45 wrote:
chap with wings wrote: Overall 5/10
Its better than that, surely :?
part 1 6/10 , part 2 4/10, average for whole story 5/10.
My opinion only of course.
"It can become a kind of franchise where it's not a real character at all, but just an amalgam of elements that people think are Doctor Who: a scarf, a bow tie... I wanted to be the actual Doctor Who." - Peter Capaldi

Follow me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/BlogFinish

My Big Finish Review Archive is here - http://blogfinishplanetmondas.blogspot.co.uk/
User avatar
tony ingram
 
 
Posts: 2893
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:03 pm
Contact:

chap with wings wrote:So, just watched the Angels 2 parter, some thoughts:
production values seem higher than in the first 3 episodes.
Part 1 reminded me very much of Earthshock part 1, River Song is a lot more smug and unlikeable than in the Library story, Smith still not doing it for me, he still feels like some bloke saying lines and hasn't had a defining Doctor moment yet like the chips scene in "The End of the World" or the "no second chances" speech in The Christmas Invasion.
I'm not sure how either of those were defining Doctor moments, but then Tennant never seemed like the Doctor to me. For me, Smith was the Doctor right from his dinner table conversation with Amelia in The 11th Hour.
Gillan fails to impress on all levels, Freema may have been wooden, but at least she was likeable.
Hearing this criticism from a few quarters. I like Amy, myself. But why does a companion have to be likable? Interesting is better, surely?
Part 2 confused me with it's technobabble, and where did the attempted seduction scene come from? Oh and the continuity error with the Doctor suddenly wearing his jacket again was deliberate right?

Overall 5/10
Almost certainly not a continuity error. That scene is totally at odds with the Doctor's previous and next appearances, so I'm convinced it was a future Doctor slipping back to deliver a message.
User avatar
THE DALEK SUPREME
 
 
Posts: 1782
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:59 pm
Location: London
Contact:

There's been a fair bit of discussion about this on the net. I'm inclined to think it was just a continuity mistake because the message he delivers isn't a particularly earth-shattering or interesting one. Of course none of us will know for sure until we've seen the finale.
User avatar
tony ingram
 
 
Posts: 2893
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:03 pm
Contact:

THE DALEK SUPREME wrote:There's been a fair bit of discussion about this on the net. I'm inclined to think it was just a continuity mistake because the message he delivers isn't a particularly earth-shattering or interesting one. Of course none of us will know for sure until we've seen the finale.
It isn't an Earth shattering one, no-but it also has absolutely no relevance to the plot and the next scene he's in seems to not run on from that one at all, so I still suspect it will have some relevance later.
User avatar
'teleportNOW!'
 
 
Posts: 5985
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:49 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Rewatching this one, it was clearly soooooooo much better that the preceding crap Dalek story, easily the best episode of that Season up to that point: it looked expensive and atmospheric, well acted and despite some complicated stuff about River Song leaving a call for help in a museum for the Doctor to find and go back in time to save her, it all basically made sense and built really well to the cliff-hanger.

The only thing that struck me in retrospect was that I now know that River Song is Amy's daughter... but whilst River Song is full of smirks when she meets the Doctor, she doesn't seem to know or care much who Amy is. Is this not in contradiction of later episodes, or does River Song at that point not know that Amy is her mum?
User avatar
The Nimon
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 8236
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:24 am
Contact:

feline1 wrote:Rewatching this one, it was clearly soooooooo much better that the preceding crap Dalek story, easily the best episode of that Season up to that point: it looked expensive and atmospheric, well acted and despite some complicated stuff about River Song leaving a call for help in a museum for the Doctor to find and go back in time to save her, it all basically made sense and built really well to the cliff-hanger.

The only thing that struck me in retrospect was that I now know that River Song is Amy's daughter... but whilst River Song is full of smirks when she meets the Doctor, she doesn't seem to know or care much who Amy is. Is this not in contradiction of later episodes, or does River Song at that point not know that Amy is her mum?
There was a scene in 'The wedding of River Song' near the end where she tells Amy and Rory the Doctor is still alive. She has just come from this story and mentions that Amy looked young and how she had to pretend that she didn't know her. Moffat had planned for Amy to be Rivers mum, hence the last name Pond
The Judge Judy of Planet Mondax
User avatar
iank
 
 
Posts: 6209
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:40 am
Contact:

My second favourite New Who story after The Empty Child. A tremendously effective action-horror with stunning production values. Smith and Gillan are incredible here and it's baffling to compare THIS 11th Doctor - mildly quirky but fundamentally serious and believably professorial - with the infantile, drooling prat of series 7. Why, Mofftwat, why?
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
User avatar
Allons-y
 
 
Posts: 5945
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:28 pm
Contact:

This episode didn't really work at all. The Weeping Angels were really one trick ponies and should've been left as only having appeared in one episode, in which case we'd remember them as being brilliant, as Blink was, but instead they just became instantly tired boring old villains that don't do much.
AMERICA IS AN ANVIL.

:4thDoctor: There's no point in being grown up, if you can't be childish sometimes!
User avatar
Cygnus Prime
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Posts: 8677
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:12 pm
Contact:

Image

Image



Image


Paul Martin wrote:Rate and discuss, you get the idea.

:Blink:

The Doctor and Amy emerge from the TARDIS to find the wreck of the Byzantium spaceship. Down below the Weeping Angels are stirring, but the Doctor has someone else to contend with; none other than the mysterious Professor River Song.




.
User avatar
Cygnus Prime
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Posts: 8677
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:12 pm
Contact:

sputnik2000 wrote:Can't believe Graham Norton invaded Who AGAIN! :shock:
Oh yes, I remember that: credit crunching! :(
User avatar
TheWatcher
 
 
Posts: 113
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:52 pm
Contact:

9/10

Arguably the one of the best NuWho stories and one of the few NuWho stories I hold with the same affection as the classic series.
'Image ''Turn around, bright eyes.''
Post Reply

Return to “SERIES 5”

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests