2%
1%
3%

Total votes: 192
Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner

NoSoul wrote:
I think she's a decent character with room to grow depending on what direction the story takes. I do agree the whole bit about her constantly being questioned grew slightly tiresome towards the end, which is one of two reasons why I knocked the story down a point from being a 10. I don't think she's the greatest thing to the mythology since sliced bread like some, but we'll see a few years down the line what the sum total of it is.
I think Steven Moffat is a great writer but in my opinion he doesn't write as well for characters as Russell T Davies. As good as his writing is I'm not connecting emotionally with any of them this year. The only character I do feel connected to is the Doctor, and that's because Matt Smith is just such a fantastic actor, he gives a surprising range and depth to it every week without fail.

Maybe as the season pans out I will feel differently, obviously there's an arc to it which might explain the lack of Amy's back-story, and why the character feels so generic to me right now.
The best chance for achieving peace and prosperity, for the maximum number of people worldwide, is to pursue the cause of liberty.

If you find this to be a worthwhile message, spread it throughout the land.
NoSoul

Mike Nuttall wrote:
NoSoul wrote:
I think she's a decent character with room to grow depending on what direction the story takes. I do agree the whole bit about her constantly being questioned grew slightly tiresome towards the end, which is one of two reasons why I knocked the story down a point from being a 10. I don't think she's the greatest thing to the mythology since sliced bread like some, but we'll see a few years down the line what the sum total of it is.
I think Steven Moffat is a great writer but in my opinion he doesn't write as well for characters as Russell T Davies. As good as his writing is I'm not connecting emotionally with any of them this year. The only character I do feel connected to is the Doctor, and that's because Matt Smith is just such a fantastic actor, he gives a surprising range and depth to it every week without fail.
I don't know, I found Amy somewhat fascinating since her debut episode, which really gave us a good sense of who she was as a character(a grown woman holding on all her life to the dream of a seven year-old). I think she's been too busy running around the last two eps to get into much depth with her, but I suspect after this two-parter is over we'll get a lot more character stuff to flesh her out.
"Hi, I'm Troy McClure. You may remember me from such spin-offs as Son of Sanford and Son, and AfterMannix."
Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner

Robbie54 wrote:Article about the Graham Norton animation that appeared at the end of last night's episode:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8642854.stm
I guess that won't happen again, a BBC spokesman has apologised:

"The BBC often promotes programmes in this way but the corporation has acknowledged that in this case the scheduling was inappropriate.

A BBC spokesman said: "We apologise for the timing of Saturday night's trail."
The best chance for achieving peace and prosperity, for the maximum number of people worldwide, is to pursue the cause of liberty.

tony ingram

Mike Nuttall wrote:
Robbie54 wrote:Article about the Graham Norton animation that appeared at the end of last night's episode:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8642854.stm
I guess that won't happen again, a BBC spokesman has apologised:

"The BBC often promotes programmes in this way but the corporation has acknowledged that in this case the scheduling was inappropriate.

A BBC spokesman said: "We apologise for the timing of Saturday night's trail."
They've apologised for the timing, but not for the fact that it was there at all. Presumably that means that next week, they'll stick in in either earlier in the episode or right at the end.
Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner

tony ingram wrote:
They've apologised for the timing, but not for the fact that it was there at all. Presumably that means that next week, they'll stick in in either earlier in the episode or right at the end.
I think the main objection was that it intruded into the actual episode, and at a crucial moment. I also object to the BBC butchering the closing titles every week, but I suppose we're stuck with that.

Kafka

If Matt Smith keeps up the quality of his interpretation of the Doctor, he's in danger of toppling Tom Baker as my favourite Who. Stonking Episode! :D :D :D
'teleportNOW!'

Mike Nuttall wrote:
tony ingram wrote:
I think the main objection was that it intruded into the actual episode, and at a crucial moment. I also object to the BBC butchering the closing titles every week, but I suppose we're stuck with that.

Why should we be stuck with it?
It's brainwrong, crass, and detrimental to the programme content.
Furthermore, it could quite easily be stopped, using the cunning technique of them not doing it. :evil:
HornOrSilk

They probably do it to force people to buy the dvd.
greystone

Really good that, shows two parters are what this series needs 9/10.
Kajaboy

xylok b wrote:There was something distinctly Earthshock about it...

Again it had it had it's faults but it wasn't that bad. :lol:
My next door neighbour mixed up her KY jelly with the superglue. I asked her how she managed that but her lips are sealed.
Makkabee

Remember, in the distant future everyone will dress exactly like we do in 2010.

Are the costume design people that incompetent, or are they hamstrung by idiot executives? It's like they're doing all they can to destroy any sense of alienness or cultural change in these "future" stories. It's all "today -- but with space ships!"

And I hope there will be some sort of explanation for why the weeping angels are suddenly "teh greatest evil EVAR!" when the last time we saw them they were predators but there was no evidence that they were sadistic -- hell, they didn't even kill their prey last time, just knocked them back in the timestream in order to consume potential energy. If Moffat had established that sending people back in time created paradoxes (with potential "Father's Day" style results) and that their method of feeding, while less harmful to their individual targets than a human's feeding is to an individual cow, can have potentially devastating effects on the fabric of the cosmos, then I could have seen them as a much more serious (if unintentional) threat.

Also, if the angels are ordinary stone when you're observing them, what happens if you smash the statue?

Then there's River Song. Special relationship with the Doctor, pilots the TARDIS better than he does, writes Gallifreyan, oh so very suave and confident... she's coming off as annoyingly Mary Sue-ish. Moffat got away with some Mary Sue tropes with Mme. de Pompadour, but he's not making a second silk purse out of the sow's other ear with River. She didn't bother me so much in Silence in the Library, but she's irking the hell out of me here. I'm hoping later reveals will make me say "oh! NOW I get it!" and apologize to Moffat for thinking that he thoroughly screwed up, but at the moment I'm not confident.

And of course we get yet another of the Doctor's "I'm a bad-ass" speeches, which are becoming Moffat's personal annoying writing tic.

Oh, and the warrior priests may dress the part (or dress the 3000 year old equivalent of the part, anyway), but they sure don't act like soldiers. "We're entering an unknown and potentially dangerous environment, so I want everyone to split up and put yourself in a position to get picked off one by one."

On the plus side, Amy got some good lines. The bit about not being so needy that the Doctor has to die for her was golden.
"You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time." Abraham Lincoln (attributed)
toxicspurge

Yah, I liked that line too!
'teleportNOW!'

HornOrSilk wrote:They probably do it to force people to buy the dvd.

yeah cos people are much more likely to buy DVDs of a show that pissed them off,
rather than of a showed where they loved every bit of it.
'teleportNOW!'

Makkabee wrote:Remember, in the distant future everyone will dress exactly like we do in 2010.

Are the costume design people that incompetent, or are they hamstrung by idiot executives? It's like they're doing all they can to destroy any sense of alienness or cultural change in these "future" stories. It's all "today -- but with space ships!"
Whilst I agree with this criticism in principle,
it has to be said that, in practice, I rather wish the BBC hadn't tried to give everyone futuristic clothing in
the 60s/70s/80s, cos usually it just made the thing look ridiculous.
And yes June Hudson, that IS your ears burning...
image45
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

This is my Angel and is just for me; it’s a good girl and does not move as you can see!

:stillangel:

Wonderful episode have watched it five times now, the tension that built up during the middle of the episode allowed for it to get very atmospheric indeed. Not often I find myself nervous while watching new Who, but this week’s achieved this to great effect.

I hope next week can conclude in such a strong way.

Robert
O-Ren Ishii: You didn't think it was gonna be that easy, did you?
The Bride: You know, for a second there, yeah, I kinda did.
O-Ren Ishii: Silly rabbit.
Makkabee

feline1 wrote:
Makkabee wrote:Remember, in the distant future everyone will dress exactly like we do in 2010.

Whilst I agree with this criticism in principle,
it has to be said that, in practice, I rather wish the BBC hadn't tried to give everyone futuristic clothing in
the 60s/70s/80s, cos usually it just made the thing look ridiculous.
And yes June Hudson, that IS your ears burning...
I'd rather have daft-looking futuristic costumes than have people still running around in tuxedos in the 38th century. I can accept silly-looking clothing -- what's fashionable in one era looks ridiculous in another. Cultural freezes are much harder to swallow.
"You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time." Abraham Lincoln (attributed)
fellis_who

abominable snowman wrote:How was the dead guy talking to the Doctor through a radio?
Never really gave this much thought, I was total gipped by the overall story :10thDoctor:

Excellent, best of the series up to now.
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

I didn't get Graham Norton in my version!!! :D :D :D :D :D
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Ian Levine wrote:
DaReverendMrMagister wrote:I see we have the usual 1 and 2 votes.

If anyone didn't like it I would genuinely be interested in the reasons behind it.

The reasons are easy...

They're IDIOTS

If someone didn't enjoy THAT then they do not belong in my forum.

End of.
What, no room for dissent? I must say, I thought you'd be against that sort of attitude.
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

abominable snowman wrote:How was the dead guy talking to the Doctor through a radio?
Well, he mentioned that the Angels had "stripped his cerebral cortex" or something, which I assume means they somehow took a copy of his brain. A bit like those recorder things in "Silence in the Library," perhaps.

I must say that was a really effective moment, though. "No, sir, they killed me too..." :o

Return to “SERIES 5”

• Information