2%
1%
3%

Total votes: 192
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

First impression...

Having recently watched the Bond film "The World Is Not Enough" I got a bit of an Electra King vibe at the start - "Men can't resist me - you can't kill me," says Electra, just before Bond does just that. "Hello Sweetie, I'm sure you'll save me," says River Song, and this time around she was right - but if I was her, I wouldn't push my luck. But there is some potential for intrigue there, with the whispered conversation about her not wanting to go back to prison, and "he mustn't find out who - or what - you are!" - which may have been a hint that she's been lying to the Doctor all along. The idea of River Song may end up being more intriguing than the execution.

(Still one thing I will give her, she certainly knows how to make an entrance!)

OK, this was the "Aliens" to "Blink's" "Alien" (as it were). The action packed version, with soldier priests who dress just like modern soldiers, so none of that "Predator" invisibility stuff. And they use modern guns, too, although I would think a sledge hammer might not be a bad idea (but then I'm sure the WA are made of really strong stone...) And the guy at the start dresses like James Bond......Oh well, this seems to be a perennial new-Who failing.

And a starliner falls to earth and ends up with its tail in the air, yeah right, I think a large crater would have been more likely...

Oh well, of course there are silly elements, the question is where the "don't think too hard" cutoff point is. At least with Moffat it's a lot further away than it was with almost anything by RTD.

The stuff with the video was brilliantly creepy, as was the voice over the radio (shades of the "Library" story, though - I do hope Moffat isn't running out of ideas...)

So anyway, I thought this was a return to form, especially after last week. (Notice how the Doctor taking the Angels seriously makes them seem a lot more frightening that him having a casual chat with the Daleks.) So suddenly the Angels have been retconned to remove some of the silliness, give them new powers (it's like the "Dalek invasion of Earth" all over again!)

And boy do they need new powers, given that one huge handicap. They really do need to be fantasy/horror creatures rather than science fictional, with (almost) supernatural abilities to compensate.

However, we do still have the awkward bit where Moffat has to resolve the story sensibly to come... and it will stand or fall on that! But as a brilliant bit of setup.... 9/10

PS - The guy who said "Wait until she tries to run, then make it look like an execution." should have been more attentive. Like she was going to run anywhere in those heels. She obviously had another escape route planned...

PPS - How do you put on hallucinogenic lipstick, anyway?
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

One other thing...........how come all those Angels don't all stop each other from moving? Surely as soon as two of them look at one other, they should freeze, as in the denoument of "Blink" ... :?: :ugeek:

Or do they only move around in complete darkness? But then presumably they can't see each other, which must make for some painful collisions...no wonder all those statues looked a bit battered...

In fact, it's a wonder they ever evolved...maybe they come from another universe (before time, I think the Doctor said in "Blink"?) and this quantum locking business is just an unfortunate effect of being stuck in our universe...

(As for how they mate, assuming they do....!)
'teleportNOW!'

Maybe River Song is a future regeneration of the Doctor :lol:
'teleportNOW!'

LizR wrote:One other thing...........how come all those Angels don't all stop each other from moving? Surely as soon as two of them look at one other, they should freeze, as in the denoument of "Blink" ... :?: :ugeek:
Yeah I must say, with angels closing in on them from all sides of a circular vault, I thought the get-out was gonna be that they all ducked, and the angels zapped each other, just like in 'Blink'.
Nobbend

HornOrSilk wrote:Well, I am thinking some of the things she said here are clues to the final of this season... certainly, if the finale is for her before what we see in the Angels, she should know what the cracks are... and that she is talking about escape from prison, I think she is probably imprisoned at the end of the finale. Just some thoughts.

And I still think she is the Rani. I can imagine the Time War reforming her... though not completely.
The Rani is Pip and Jane Baker's creation. The production team would have to pay to use her. River Song is La Moff's creation. For that reason and the fact the's an even crappier villain then the Master, River Song is not The Rani.
'teleportNOW!'

why would River Song be The Rani anyways? because they're both women!?!
Makkabee

LizR wrote:
Ian Levine wrote:
DaReverendMrMagister wrote:I see we have the usual 1 and 2 votes.

If anyone didn't like it I would genuinely be interested in the reasons behind it.

The reasons are easy...

They're IDIOTS

If someone didn't enjoy THAT then they do not belong in my forum.

End of.
What, no room for dissent? I must say, I thought you'd be against that sort of attitude.
Really? On what grounds?
"You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time." Abraham Lincoln (attributed)
'teleportNOW!'

I suspect some people just vote "1" just to annoy certain other people :lol:
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Eek! One of the best things about the Angels (I thought) was that it was an original idea. But nothing new under the Sun, etc....sigh.... :cry:
The 'horror which grows imperceptibly nearer' has had a few runs before the Weeping Angels came along, most notably in the original novel of Stephen King's The Shining, where the haunted Overlook hotel is surrounded by topiary sculptures of lions which follow very much the same pattern of approach as Moffat's quantum-locked terrors...
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Makkabee wrote:
LizR wrote:What, no room for dissent? I must say, I thought you'd be against that sort of attitude.
Really? On what grounds?
Hmm. Good question. I suppose mainly because he's put up with people like me saying what a load of cobblers most new-Who has been, on his forum, while saying how wonderful it is himself.
HornOrSilk

Nobbend wrote:
The Rani is Pip and Jane Baker's creation. The production team would have to pay to use her. River Song is La Moff's creation. For that reason and the fact the's an even crappier villain then the Master, River Song is not The Rani.
Two things.

First, if they don't actually reference her previous name, they can give all the hints out they want without making it so (sort of like Prisoner/Dangerman). Second, the Rani, in the original execution of her, was actually a decent villain because she didn't have to focus on "destroying the world" or "stopping the Doctor." She was about scientific experimentation without moral restraint. That makes her motives different, and can allow for all kinds of stories if done right. Since there is also hints of previous interests between the Doctor and the Rani before, it could easily come out after the Time War. She doesn't want the Doctor to know until he has gotten to know how she has become...
D.84

Felt like a story from the old classic series and the best one since Series 5 started.
I loved it - 10/10
Shaving Foamasi

AI of 87. Have all those people who sounded the death knell for New New Who because of the "calamatous" drop in AI to 84 last week crawled back under their rocks?

Part 1 was brilliant - hope Part 2 will be just a s good...
You mean you believed the Doctor would never regenerate into a woman?
Nobbend

HornOrSilk wrote:
Nobbend wrote:
Two things.

First, if they don't actually reference her previous name, they can give all the hints out they want without making it so (sort of like Prisoner/Dangerman). Second, the Rani, in the original execution of her, was actually a decent villain because she didn't have to focus on "destroying the world" or "stopping the Doctor." She was about scientific experimentation without moral restraint. That makes her motives different, and can allow for all kinds of stories if done right. Since there is also hints of previous interests between the Doctor and the Rani before, it could easily come out after the Time War. She doesn't want the Doctor to know until he has gotten to know how she has become...
Who's name? River's? Or The Rani's?
HornOrSilk

The Rani. They can hint at it if they wish -- without any need to saying it is who she is. Again Dangerman/Prisoner. Of of course, maybe the Bakers would approve of the Rani's use?
Kajaboy

LizR wrote:I didn't get Graham Norton in my version!!! :D :D :D :D :D
You will get him on the "As Transmitted" version of the DVD. :lol:
My next door neighbour mixed up her KY jelly with the superglue. I asked her how she managed that but her lips are sealed.
NoSoul

Chap with Wings has been remarkably quiet after last week's gloating over the subpar quality of VotD. Nearly universal praise for this week's episode and an AI score 0f 87=Complete Radio silence apparently :Blink:
"Hi, I'm Troy McClure. You may remember me from such spin-offs as Son of Sanford and Son, and AfterMannix."
HornOrSilk

Liz

BTW, I hope I am right, but I am getting a feeling that not all of those angels are the "same" as the ones from Blink. We are told in this they "need the bodies" of people hence why they are not sending the person back in time. I think they reproduce by killing people, and taking over their bodies, and only slowly become fully themselves. In this way, those are not "full angels" and all the problems of a mature angel are not theirs. This also goes with Amy slowly becoming "stone."
Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner

Having watched it again I have to say I missed an awful lot the first time around, I'm even more impressed with it on the second viewing, therefore I've marking it up from an 8 to a 10.
The best chance for achieving peace and prosperity, for the maximum number of people worldwide, is to pursue the cause of liberty.

If you find this to be a worthwhile message, spread it throughout the land.
The Great One

I was disappointed last week but this for me was a triumph loved the whole ensemble. It looked much more expensive too. Matt and Karen were excellent and seemed well into there roles considering this was the first story filmed.

Really looking forward to episode 2 . A 9/10 got to leave a margin for even better to come.

Return to “SERIES 5”

• Information