13%
7%
4%
2%
No votes
2%

Total votes: 156
dcampbell

After the return of Daleks and Weeping Angels in the last couple of stories, I had very little expectations for this episode, so found myself thoroughly enjoying it. Possibly my favourite episode of the season so far.
NoSoul

I give it an 8/10. Just a fun bit of nonsense, but it was also good in moving the narrative of the cracks in time forward. I thought the bit reintroducing Rory at the Stag Party needed another scene between that and him in the TARDIS to make a little bit more sense from a continuity standpoint, and some of the effects are a bit cack, but for the most part it worked and held up well together. Nice to see the first non-Moffat script of the season that didn't suck(because it was about Vampires, get it?).
"Hi, I'm Troy McClure. You may remember me from such spin-offs as Son of Sanford and Son, and AfterMannix."
NoSoul

Mike Nuttall wrote:
DaReverendMrMagister wrote:
abominable snowman wrote:No Ian Levine again this week?
Ian is singing the praises of this over on GB. :)
It's a pity he couldn't spare a few moments of his precious time to show up on his own forum...
That is a bit odd. Sorry to see it happening after all the hard work you lot did for him.
"Hi, I'm Troy McClure. You may remember me from such spin-offs as Son of Sanford and Son, and AfterMannix."
NoSoul

image45 wrote:
ianj wrote:I'm still enjoying Matt Smith's characterisation of Doctor Who; as each episode arrives, Tennant seems to have well and truly gone....
Yes I am finding Matt Smith's characterisation of the Doctor to be much more to my kind of style on how to play the role.
While I adored David Tennant's portrayal, Matt Smith just IS the Doctor in a way no one has been since Tom Baker. Not that some of them haven't been good in between, but this truly was an inspired casting choice, and I applaud Moff & Company for having the courage to do it despite his age.
NoSoul

tony ingram wrote:
Nobbend wrote:A bit uneven. Rory's prat fall cowardice annoying. A lack of menace. Otherwise OK. 7/10
What cowardice? He lured a disguised alien monster into attacking him rather than his girlfriend, despite clearly not being the action hero type. That struck me as pretty brave!
True, but there's something....douchy about Rory that doesn't all work for me yet. I'll give it a few more weeks to see how he develops.

Doesn't next week's episode look absolutely mad btw?
Ghostchild

First episode I've laughed out loud at, esp the cake monologue - inspired. MS IS the Doctor and I loved every second, esp the keyhole ending . Brilliant direction, script, acting and costume. 10/10
Ian Levine

I'm here every week.

And I vote every week.

It was wonderful traditional Hinchcliffe/Holmes type Doctor Who, with a season fourteen feel.

The closest new Who has ever come to classic Who in style.
image45
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

Ian Levine wrote:
I'm here every week.

And I vote every week.

It was wonderful traditional Hinchcliffe/Holmes type Doctor Who, with a season fourteen feel.

Yes, this is why I feel I am really loving the new series so much since the new Doctor hit our screens.
O-Ren Ishii: You didn't think it was gonna be that easy, did you?
The Bride: You know, for a second there, yeah, I kinda did.
O-Ren Ishii: Silly rabbit.
DaReverendMrMagister

Ian Levine wrote:

yes! I could see Jon, Tom or Sylvester doing this story with virtually no changes. Loved it. :D
Lord Privy Toastrack

DaReverendMrMagister wrote: Ian is singing the praises of this over on GB. :)
I feel foolish for asking, but what is GB?
DaReverendMrMagister

Lord Privy Toastrack wrote:
Gallifrey Base

"You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious."

:lol:
image45
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

Its http://gallifreybase.com/forum/, but your quite welcome to stay and post on this forum all the time if you wish :lol:
NoSoul

DaReverendMrMagister wrote:
Gallifrey Base

"You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious."

:lol:
It's not THAT bad :mrgreen:
NoSoul

image45 wrote:
Its http://gallifreybase.com/forum/, but your quite welcome to stay and post on this forum all the time if you wish :lol:
You're such a team player :lol:
image45
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

NoSoul wrote: Its http://gallifreybase.com/forum/, but your quite welcome to stay and post on this forum all the time if you wish :lol:
I have to be when I am on the team on this site/forum, click 'the team' module if you do not believe me. We put a few hours in to each week to aim to make the new site that bit more tempting to post in and visit so that covers my team player role you see!
NoSoul

image45 wrote:
NoSoul wrote: Its http://gallifreybase.com/forum/, but your quite welcome to stay and post on this forum all the time if you wish :lol:
I have to be when I am on the team on this site/forum, click 'the team' module if you do not believe me. We put a few hours in to each week to aim to make the new site that bit more tempting to post in and visit so that covers my team player role you see!
And a fine job you do too.
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Hmm. That was OK, serviceable but hardly exceptional. Not quite the emotional impact of "School Reunion", Mr Whithouse's previous Dr Who effort - although that would have been difficult, given that it featured the return of Sarah Jane and K9. So, a rather run of the mill pseudo-historical (with some stunning settings and costumes) - the best one can say about it is that it didn't retcon any famous historical characters into a cute 21st century version, or do anything appalling with history, or make the period characters look too silly (I'm not sure how the Venetians managed to ignore Amy's miniskirt, I suppose blending in is another of the abilities the TARDIS gives you, like being able to talk to the locals).

The best point was probably the rather casual way the aliens disposed of what's her name (damn, I'm as bad as them!) - because until then I thought our heroes were going to rescue her. That was actually quite a nasty moment, or maybe that was just me, so it was rather effective.

The worst bit was the way the sonic was suddenly baffled by a 16th century lock because the plot demanded a noble self-sacrifice, oh, that and the Doctor climbing up another tower, as seen in TIL, EOTD etc. Otherwise we got something fairly humdrum. Another bunch of aliens who want to invade while disguised as humans, with all of history to explore the Doctor stumbles across them almost instantly. And another hapless new male companion who, if you take your mind off the story for a moment, is the only one actually behaving sensibly. And what happened to the big bad mama alien at the end? She took off her image changer thing but remained human, and got eaten by her sprogs?

Or something like that...

Oh and why do girl vampires always have to wera those floaty white dresses, was that another "homage", this time to Hammer films?
Ssorg

LizR wrote:And what happened to the big bad mama alien at the end? She took off her image changer thing but remained human, and got eaten by her sprogs?
Yesss.
LizR wrote:Oh and why do girl vampires always have to wera those floaty white dresses, was that another "homage", this time to Hammer films?
Yessss.
(Noticcce that the creaturessss with cold blood are oncccce again made out to be the villainssss! :x )
tony ingram

Ssorg wrote:
LizR wrote:And what happened to the big bad mama alien at the end? She took off her image changer thing but remained human, and got eaten by her sprogs?
Yesss.
LizR wrote:Oh and why do girl vampires always have to wera those floaty white dresses, was that another "homage", this time to Hammer films?
Yessss.
(Noticcce that the creaturessss with cold blood are oncccce again made out to be the villainssss! :x )
I wouldn't take it to heart, Ssorg. I am sure wee all know there is good and bad in everyone-even seven foot reptiles wearing shoe boxes on their feet.

I think female vampires wearing white floaty dresses is a Union requirement.
Zenith

LizR wrote:Hmm. That was OK, serviceable but hardly exceptional. Not quite the emotional impact of "School Reunion", Mr Whithouse's previous Dr Who effort - although that would have been difficult, given that it featured the return of Sarah Jane and K9. So, a rather run of the mill pseudo-historical (with some stunning settings and costumes) - the best one can say about it is that it didn't retcon any famous historical characters into a cute 21st century version, or do anything appalling with history, or make the period characters look too silly (I'm not sure how the Venetians managed to ignore Amy's miniskirt, I suppose blending in is another of the abilities the TARDIS gives you, like being able to talk to the locals).

Yes this sums up my thoughts as well, it was a decent story, but unexceptional. Visually it was excellent and i have no complaints, acting was good and the FX were servicable - I think using CGI for the vampires true forms was a mistake personally as they look quite unconvincing and false but CGI either does that or you have to will yourself to bypass its deficencies. I must say I'm not sold on the Tardis interior, it's an incredible busy decor and there's nothing for the eye to lock onto. If Character Options were thinking of another playset they must be gutted... ;)

It overall lacked impact for me as when you announce a story about Vampires you know exactly what you'll get with Doctor Who; due to the timeslot it won't be very scary and it will be revealed they are just aliens. As usual.

It's the usual predictable cliche territory.

Return to “SERIES 5”

• Information