IS THE BUDGET CUT BEGINNING TO SHOW....????

Post Reply
User avatar
CADILLAC
 
 
Posts: 599
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:34 am
Contact:

Is it just me or is the show starting to look a little less epic when need be.......

Sure the BBC needs to save money and if nothing else changed the difference between DT's wages and Matt's is the guts of 1 million pounds per year...

And yeah apparently changing to high definition massively ups the cost of effects......
But to me it looks like less money is being spent or at least the monies not showing up on screen as it has....
Time to sign off the show's about to start and this is the first time this year I've been able to watch it at the broadcast time without work getting in the way.....

Just shows,money the root of plenty of problems..... :director:
User avatar
Greyhawk
 
 
Posts: 638
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:52 pm
Location: Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
Contact:

CADILLAC wrote:Just shows,money women... the root of plenty of problems.....
Fixed that for you.
"YOU INTERNET BULLY. COME OUT AND I WILL PHYSICALLY ASSAULT YOU FOR QUOTING ME ON THE INTERNET!!!"
- Bored of Canada (paraphrasing iamthedoctor)

"Makes me want to just pack up and quit and go to another site where we dont have all these rules."
"This is getting crazy now. Its supposed to be a discussion site."
"...me and him just meet in a public place so I can give him a bloody good kicking..."
"So if thats the case we re getting 44 episodes in november then!"
"Is William Hurt making a appearance in Saturdays episode?"
"Has Frasier Hines said hes done a commentary for Fury?"
- iamthedoctor

"...sh*t posters will sh*t post..."
"HE WAS MEAN TO ME ON THE INTERNET!"
- Bored of Canada

"You are everything that is wrong with this thread. Cheap insults from behind a keyboard."
- DOOMSTER
User avatar
CADILLAC
 
 
Posts: 599
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:34 am
Contact:

Greyhawk wrote:
CADILLAC wrote:Just shows,money women... the root of plenty of problems.....
Fixed that for you.

I'd be tempted to write all problems....... :notfunny:
Zenith
 
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:21 pm
Contact:

I'm not seeing it no, granted i think more effort could have been made on the Tardis set and maybe there's been a bit more small scale stories on earth but the story breakdowns so far fit fine with previous seroes where you'd get the money spent on the two parters and at least a couple of cheap shows to offset it such as Midnight or Fear Her...

There is definitly a very different tone though, quite subtle in fact, more reaslism in the performances for a start. I do think Amy Pond is too one dimensional and flat but that might be down to the arc in progress, she needs beefed up more if she's sticking around for the next season. :director:
Vermicious Knid

I'm not seeing it either. I think the show looks fantastic as is.

Thought the previews for the Silurians' return looked awesome!
User avatar
stevefreestone
 
 
Posts: 1326
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:27 pm
Contact:

Vermicious Knid wrote:I'm not seeing it either. I think the show looks fantastic as is.

Thought the previews for the Silurians' return looked awesome!
The only FX scene I haven't liked so far is the one with Amy hanging above the TARDIS in The Beast Below. It just didn't convince, however River Song's escape to the TARDIS worked for me.
Over FIVE YEARS without Stalag Gallifrey Base. Bliss. The forum that ignores name calling when it suits and bans when it suits, nor can you say anything nasty about one of the greatest murderers of the 20th Century. That's because it is run by Steve Hillter.
valeyarduk
 
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:16 pm
Contact:

The lack of extras and the amount of contained stories suggest they are writing for small scale adventures deliberately
RTD wrote big stories with big events and big scenes.
This series its all small scale!
User avatar
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden
Posts: 20969
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:01 am
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Contact:

Greyhawk wrote:
CADILLAC wrote:Just shows,money women... the root of plenty of problems.....
Fixed that for you.
Fixed that for you.
User avatar
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden
Posts: 20969
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:01 am
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Contact:

valeyarduk wrote:The lack of extras and the amount of contained stories suggest they are writing for small scale adventures deliberately
RTD wrote big stories with big events and big scenes.
This series its all small scale!
RTD's first series was set entirely inside the Moon's orbit.
User avatar
CADILLAC
 
 
Posts: 599
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:34 am
Contact:

Now that the series finale has aired a more balanced view of money and the show can be had.....

Many of the episodes had a smaller closed in feel which has less of an epic grand expensive feel.....
Was it the nature of the stories or were smaller scale less epic stories told to match the budget or a bit of both....???

Surely there wasn't a single episode of confidential were the Moff didn't mention money constraints of some form or anther......

I feel he got the money issue the wrong way round,the argument should be we make the BBC a fortune you should be giving us more money to make a better show to make even more money......

For all JNT's failings he knew how to fight the shows corner and his efforts brought in extra funds which showed on screen.....
Zenith
 
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:21 pm
Contact:

CADILLAC wrote: I feel he got the money issue the wrong way round,the argument should be we make the BBC a fortune you should be giving us more money to make a better show to make even more money......

For all JNT's failings he knew how to fight the shows corner and his efforts brought in extra funds which showed on screen.....
It's just the Paradoxical way the BBC has always worked. I never really appreciated how bad WHO's budget was in the 80s until i heard Nicola Bryant on one of the DVD commentaries talk about how because it was an old and log established show it had never gotten a proportionate raise in its budget to match current TV. She was using Tripods as the marker for this as it's start-up budget vastly outstripped WHO's, something JNT was livid about...

Anyway, I guess the BBC will see how far down to the bone they can pare the budget down right now as it's a culture that is ingrained into them. Successful shows don't matter and I guess the fact Doctor Who is now a fixture and well established gives them the idea a little 'pruning' wouldn't hurt anybody... but I do think this philosophy is the starting point of a slippery road as with compromised production values any show is going to start shrinking, Doctor Who viewers are now expectant of vast spectacle and if all we start getting is earthbased small scale stuff like The Lodger or even the Silurian two parter boredom will set in. Worrying times potentially....
User avatar
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden
Posts: 20969
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:01 am
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Contact:

Hmph. The Tripods was set entirely on Earth and used some rather naff models from what I remember. They must have had some expensive lunches...
User avatar
CADILLAC
 
 
Posts: 599
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:34 am
Contact:

LizR wrote:Hmph. The Tripods was set entirely on Earth and used some rather naff models from what I remember. They must have had some expensive lunches...

25 years ago people were gob smacked at the effects....!!
The stories,there pacing,the dialogue and the lack of acting shone threw in the end and got the trilogy axed two thirds of the way through..... :Dalek: :Dalek: :Dalek:
User avatar
Kamelion
 
 
Posts: 1805
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:16 pm
Location: Elephant & Castle LONDON
Contact:

Wouldn't it be hilarious for the 'spectacular new series' to suffer the same fate as the classic series (i.e not enough money ploughed into it and dwindling viewing figures as a result). I wonder if the show will be as mourned again and if it would be resurrected a third time!!!! (the second being the TV movie)
"..and who knows when it will end..."
User avatar
Kajaboy
 
 
Posts: 4823
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:11 am
Contact:

Robert Watkins wrote:Loads of dosh is being made by the BBC with Doctor Who classic and new series, from cakes, DVDs, magazines, figures, overseas episode sales and now Doctor Who Live.

I wonder how much income in millions is made from Doctor Who per year!
It really doesn't matter how much Doctor Who brings in as that money doesn't go back into making it.
My next door neighbour mixed up her KY jelly with the superglue. I asked her how she managed that but her lips are sealed.
User avatar
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden
Posts: 20969
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:01 am
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Contact:

Kajaboy wrote:It really doesn't matter how much Doctor Who brings in as that money doesn't go back into making it.
I imagine it matters indirectly, in that the Beeb will be keen to keep it going if it's bringing in lots of dosh (but possibly less keen if we don't all rush out and snap up the day-glo Daleks...)
User avatar
Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner
Posts: 7478
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:52 am
Location: Manchester
Contact:

Instead of cutting the budget I would have argued the case for increasing it. Given the amount of money that DW generates in revenue for the corperation I would have urged them to invest in the programme's future.

Personally I thought the programme looked less glossy and felt much less epic last year, however I'd argue that was down to a change in tone, pace and style as much as any budget restrictions.
The best chance for achieving peace and prosperity, for the maximum number of people worldwide, is to pursue the cause of liberty.

If you find this to be a worthwhile message, spread it throughout the land.
Post Reply

Return to “SERIES 5”

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests