3%
1%
2%
2%

Total votes: 163
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

I have to watch it again before I give it a rating. Another "polariser" I suspect - it really depends on how you react to the ending - and another episode that begs to be an hour long rather than 45 minutes. I'm sure the ending would have been improved had the writer not been forced to squeeze in a quick ending, rather like last week in fact - this is getting to be my main gripe.

I found Rory quite acceptable, he may seem a bit wet but he's got what it takes when the chips are down, which is surely the definition of heroism. The fact that Amy didn't know whether this was reality or not, but couldn't live without Rory - and therefore potentially sacrificed her unborn child - is rather dark, but logical. If you're in that situation, you have to choose for yourself, in the end. Otherwise no one would ever have an abortion . . . although admittedly this was a child that had been growing for more than a few weeks.

The ending was rushed, but at the time I was carried along - which is a sign of good writing, I would say: being able to ignore the absurdities. The only point at which my suspension of belief was threatened was the "zombie pensioners" at which point I found myself thinking hm, surely not "Dawn of the Deaf". But that didn't last long.

I'll be interested to see whether it stands up to a second viewing.
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Oh, and I do agree with Kajaboy that this was very much like the SJA - but then I like most of the SJA (which has 1-hour stories, by the way). There is a lot of variety, but I think that, so far, the average standard in the SJA has been rather higher than most new Who (and a LOT higher than Torchwood . . . )
tony ingram

LizR wrote:Oh, and I do agree with Kajaboy that this was very much like the SJA - but then I like most of the SJA (which has 1-hour stories, by the way). There is a lot of variety, but I think that, so far, the average standard in the SJA has been rather higher than most new Who (and a LOT higher than Torchwood . . . )
I quite agree. SJA is one of the best shows on TV.
Cyberbagel

The first surreal episode since the series came back and not a bad one at that.

In common to other thoughts, I did find myself wondering if I was watching SJA as clearly this episode was made on a similar budget - low in CGI, half the episode on a single (Tardis) set, the rest on an everyday location.

Oh, and the CGI we did have was a bit dodgy. (Thinking of the old gits!)

My 9 year old son loved it - probably because it was close to SJA in tone (he was probably expecting the Dream Lord to turn into the Trickster!)

But I think also because Dr Who does challenge his mind and creativity.
Think he will soon be ready for The Prisoner (the proper version that is) in 18 months or so.

As ever, Mr Smith terrific - I just love his aloofness.

9/10
First episode - Monster of Peladon 4
Favourite Doctor - ask me in July!
Zarius

I wonder sometimes if it should have been called "Amy's Choice" at all...she seemed to make up her mind very almost IMMEDIATLY on just about every choice..come to think of it, noone really questioned the choices at all.
Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner

Simon Nye talks about Amy's Choice at digitalspy.co.uk:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s7/docto ... hoice.html
The best chance for achieving peace and prosperity, for the maximum number of people worldwide, is to pursue the cause of liberty.

If you find this to be a worthwhile message, spread it throughout the land.
Vermicious Knid

Zarius wrote:I wonder sometimes if it should have been called "Amy's Choice" at all...she seemed to make up her mind very almost IMMEDIATLY on just about every choice..come to think of it, noone really questioned the choices at all.
I didn't get that feeling at all. I got the feeling Amy really had to struggle to decide if she wanted a life with the Doctor or the family life.
Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner

Vermicious Knid wrote:
Zarius wrote:I wonder sometimes if it should have been called "Amy's Choice" at all...she seemed to make up her mind very almost IMMEDIATLY on just about every choice..come to think of it, noone really questioned the choices at all.
I didn't get that feeling at all. I got the feeling Amy really had to struggle to decide if she wanted a life with the Doctor or the family life.
I didn't get that feeling either. I imagined she was as confused as I was by what was real and what wasn't. That's why the episode was so clever because nothing was obvious (at least not to me) and that's why Amy struggled to make her choice.

I think this episode benefits from a second, and possibly, a third viewing. It's very complex and multi-layered.

I'm really pleased that Rory seems to have become "a companion", I hope it isn't just as short-term thing. Arthur Darvill's comic timing is second to none, I'm still smiling about the "I'm a gondola... driver" thing from last week.

More Rory please!
The best chance for achieving peace and prosperity, for the maximum number of people worldwide, is to pursue the cause of liberty.

If you find this to be a worthwhile message, spread it throughout the land.
Vermicious Knid

I like Rory too. I like Amy having to play off both him and the Doctor.
NoSoul

9/10, really enjoyable and creepy.
"Hi, I'm Troy McClure. You may remember me from such spin-offs as Son of Sanford and Son, and AfterMannix."
image45
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

Odd one for me I found it good to view but lacked more depth for me to watch it again. Its one of those odd mid season tails I think!
O-Ren Ishii: You didn't think it was gonna be that easy, did you?
The Bride: You know, for a second there, yeah, I kinda did.
O-Ren Ishii: Silly rabbit.
Bobspoons

Loved it spot on.

Everything great

Just wish I knew who the Dreamlord was.... Is he The Valeyard?? Hope so.
Hope that gets tied up before end of season
:)

Alex
Posting name Bobspoons, real name Alex

PS: The avatar picture is "Alfred Chicken", for those of you who love the CBM-Amiga. Saw his pic in an avatar collection, wndered why he was there and decided somebody should keep the legend of Alfred alive.
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Rather to my surprise it stood up well to a second viewing. It has a lot of good dialogue and the tension is built up constantly, plus the characters are so believable. I have a few issues with it (opening the doors in space when the power was off????) but generally minor. The main one is still that it needed to be an hour long, so the blowing up the TARDIS scene could have been the climax of a whole "fake ending" of the "they think it's all over, but..." variety. And the Dream Lord could have become a real, potentially returning character rather than a handful of pollen.

"Playtime is definitely over!"

I'd say 8/10
Nobbend

I say LizR, did you get my PM about joining us at the Tav on the first Thursday of the month?
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Nobbend wrote:I say LizR, did you get my PM about joining us at the Tav on the first Thursday of the month?
No, I didn't.
southanesq

Reading some posts from 'round the net, I get the impression that "Amy's Choice" could turn out to be a full-on "Marmite" episode.

Still, I voted 8/10 based on one viewing.

I thought it was well written, acted and directed. Toby Jones was excellent as "The Dream Lord".

"Victory of the Daleks" aside, I am really enjoying this season.
Vermicious Knid

What is a "Marmite" episode?
southanesq

Vermicious Knid wrote:What is a "Marmite" episode?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marmite

It's a yeast extract spread sold in the UK.

It's something one either loves or hates with no middle ground.

It was even advertised along these lines some years ago!

"Ghost Light" or "Love and Monsters" are other examples of "Marmite" stories.
flornatref

Very enjoyable episode. The only thing that I found a bit dissappointing was the revelation that the Dream Lord was actually the Doctor. Was hoping for the Black Guardian myself.
Nobbend

LizR wrote:
Nobbend wrote:I say LizR, did you get my PM about joining us at the Tav on the first Thursday of the month?
No, I didn't.
Well basically, the London Dr Who fraternity get together at the Fiztroy Tavern in Charlotte Street on the first Thursday of every month and talk rubbish for hours while having a convivial snifter. Since you're going to be in the UK perhaps you'd care to come along and meet some of us.

Return to “SERIES 5”

• Information