Rate Flesh and Stone

Post Reply

Rate Flesh and Stone

10
0
No votes
9
0
No votes
8
1
100%
7
0
No votes
6
0
No votes
5
0
No votes
4
0
No votes
3
0
No votes
2
0
No votes
1
0
No votes
0
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 1
Paul Martin

Out of ten. Please post your thoughts and comments too.
User avatar
DaReverendMrMagister
 
 
Posts: 143
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:30 pm
Contact:

I think I need to see this again later. At the moment, I feel a bit cheated so I won't score it yet........
Image
bingo99
 
 
Posts: 986
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:17 pm
Contact:

DaReverendMrMagister wrote:I think I need to see this again later. At the moment, I feel a bit cheated so I won't score it yet........
Same here, very unsure what I think of this. Needs a second view.
"Scriptwriters are confident they'll make a huge impact. Everyone remembers the Daleks and the Cyberman, but not a lot else if they're honest. The Tritovore will change that. They will last long in the memory" - New Who PR, 2009
User avatar
The Buccaneer
 
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:19 am
Contact:

That was tanfastic. Much better.

I gave last weeks a one (1). Because, initially I was SO ANGRY over the Norton Banner. Plus, I hate the new Tardis and still reject the RTD Police Box. I was so angry.

However, tonight was pure Doctor Who and I loved it.

I still do NOT forgive the BBC for their blunders but am invigorated that it is still possible to produce pure Doctor Who.

Tonight I give it 9/10 because..................ever heard of MIRRORS?
User avatar
'teleportNOW!'
 
 
Posts: 5985
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:49 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

that scene at the end where Amy tried to shag the Doctor was ahine! lol
mondas42
 
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:09 pm
Contact:

Well I enjoyed it, and thought there were some really good moments, including seeing the Angels move. Scary. The crack is a really good and bodes well for the rest of the season.

BUT

Was not impessed with the ending and Amy snogging the Doctor. Not the fact that there was snogging, got no problem with that, but was not happy with the sudden change in Amy's character. It seemed a bit contrived and very out of character.She has showed no real romatic intrest in the Doctor before, but all of a sudden....wham!.


8 of 10!


oh and no Graham Norton at the end, thank God!
markgobpub
 
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:46 pm
Contact:

Yeah, I too was unsure about Amy coming on to the Doctor like that, but for me it didn't detract from an absolutely superb episode. Fantastic, loved it.
Zenith
 
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:21 pm
Contact:

markgobpub wrote:Yeah, I too was unsure about Amy coming on to the Doctor like that, but for me it didn't detract from an absolutely superb episode. Fantastic, loved it.
It was way out of place in this show and this slot, too OTT and hard to be taken remotely seriously, maybe part of the ongoing plotpoint for the end of season?

I unfortunatly missed the first 15 minutes due to the BBCs yo-yo scheduling so will watch it again tomorrow on BBC3, I have to say though this was as good as it gets Doctor Who wise and the plotting and set-up were delivered with great skill. A more confident production is hard to imagine and it's hard to find fault, the musical score though has become somewhat distracting and i do wonder if it's time for a rethink on that front.
Elsewhere though an excellent cast, too often the guest cast are ciphers or just dull actors but this was a fine example of astute writing combining with well picked actors who really brought their roles to life and created some very plausible characters as a result. I confess i'm unsure whether Karen Gillen is working out or not, she's a bit hamstrung by this mysterious character she's playing but her performance i find frequently a bit lacking. Hard to put my finger on the exact problem but I think she's just too young and inexperienced yet to really make this character work; she's not as solid and strong as Billie Piper immediatly was with Rose....
User avatar
tony ingram
 
 
Posts: 2893
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:03 pm
Contact:

Absolutely loved it-clever, frequently creepy, great performances all round (even from Angel Bob) and that last scene was absolutely hilarious! I can't remember the last time a new episode left me feeling so elated. And Karen Gillan is, for me, the best companion the new series has had so far, streets ahead of anything we've seen in the last five years.
User avatar
markhuk
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1089
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:21 pm
Contact:

mondas42 wrote:
Was not impessed with the ending and Amy snogging the Doctor. Not the fact that there was snogging, got no problem with that, but was not happy with the sudden change in Amy's character. It seemed a bit contrived and very out of character.She has showed no real romatic intrest in the Doctor before, but all of a sudden....wham!.
iS THAT WHAT EVERYONE THINKS ?
whoops didnt realise id caught the caps lock and cant be arsed to change it

Personally I thought it just seemed like a desperate attempt to not be left behind

I could be wrong - fully accept that - but thought it was great scene nonetheless

Back to the main story - brilliant - was going to do a long breakdown on what was so good about it - but have come to the conclusion Brilliant sums it up nicely.
bingo99
 
 
Posts: 986
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:17 pm
Contact:

Right, the resolution to last week's episode, about gravity and jumping up, could someone explain that to me please
"Scriptwriters are confident they'll make a huge impact. Everyone remembers the Daleks and the Cyberman, but not a lot else if they're honest. The Tritovore will change that. They will last long in the memory" - New Who PR, 2009
dcampbell

A first-rate, 10/10 story let down by a fifth-rate, 1/10 coda. It was great right up to the point when the Angels fell into the time rift, although I do think it was a mistake to break one of the rules of Blink - that the viewer counted as a witness to the Angels - by showing them moving. Aside from that, their seeming 'unstoppable force' nature made them worthy return monsters.
:Blink:

But then, when it was all over, River Song was immediately back to being irritating, having been really good up to that point - acting as the competent Companion and counterpointing Amy's audience-identification figure.

Speaking of Slapper Pond, the final scene: :( Definitely minus a couple of points for that.

Overall, I'm giving it 7/10.
User avatar
DaReverendMrMagister
 
 
Posts: 143
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:30 pm
Contact:

bingo99 wrote:Right, the resolution to last week's episode, about gravity and jumping up, could someone explain that to me please
Well.....

The ship was generating it's own artificial gravity field..... I GET that bit. So they jumped into that field and "fell" on to it's surface. So far so good. Why he shot the gravity ball and loads of gunk came out...... haven't got a clue.

Last week, I had thought the ball might contain an anti-gravitational liquid (Cavorite) that would spray on them and allow them to float up but......that didn't happen. In fact, the shooting of the ball was never mentioned again. :?:
Image
bingo99
 
 
Posts: 986
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:17 pm
Contact:

DaReverendMrMagister wrote:
bingo99 wrote:Right, the resolution to last week's episode, about gravity and jumping up, could someone explain that to me please
Well.....

The ship was generating it's own artificial gravity field..... I GET that bit. So they jumped into that field and "fell" on to it's surface. So far so good. Why he shot the gravity ball and loads of gunk came out...... haven't got a clue.

Last week, I had thought the ball might contain an anti-gravitational liquid (Cavorite) that would spray on them and allow them to float up but......that didn't happen. In fact, the shooting of the ball was never mentioned again. :?:
I don't remember anything about gravity fields last week. Did they mumble it?
"Scriptwriters are confident they'll make a huge impact. Everyone remembers the Daleks and the Cyberman, but not a lot else if they're honest. The Tritovore will change that. They will last long in the memory" - New Who PR, 2009
bingo99
 
 
Posts: 986
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:17 pm
Contact:

DaReverendMrMagister wrote:The ship was generating it's own artificial gravity field..... I GET that bit. So they jumped into that field and "fell" on to it's surface.
No, I still don't get that, they just jumped on the spot didn't they????? I've never been this confused since Bad Wolf. What's any of this got to do with shooting water????
"Scriptwriters are confident they'll make a huge impact. Everyone remembers the Daleks and the Cyberman, but not a lot else if they're honest. The Tritovore will change that. They will last long in the memory" - New Who PR, 2009
User avatar
abominable snowman
 
 
Posts: 801
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:38 pm
Location: Blackpool
Contact:

bingo99 wrote:
I don't remember anything about gravity fields last week. Did they mumble it?
I'm still waiting for a good explanation for why the dead guys were talking through the radios. Now I'm waiting for a good explanation how they ended up on the roof of the spaceship. This story was decent enough but had more holes than swiss cheese and the last scene made me cringe.
bingo99
 
 
Posts: 986
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:17 pm
Contact:

abominable snowman wrote:'m still waiting for a good explanation for why the dead guys were talking through the radios. Now I'm waiting for a good explanation how they ended up on the roof of the spaceship. This story was decent enough but had more holes than swiss cheese.
Yeah, not a bad story at all. But some stuff left me baffled and feeling a bit cheated. Anyone want to explain why that beam me up scotty moment wasn't a cheap cop out?

If bullets leave The Angels unscratched, why should falling a hundred feet cause them any problems?
"Scriptwriters are confident they'll make a huge impact. Everyone remembers the Daleks and the Cyberman, but not a lot else if they're honest. The Tritovore will change that. They will last long in the memory" - New Who PR, 2009
User avatar
abominable snowman
 
 
Posts: 801
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:38 pm
Location: Blackpool
Contact:

bingo99 wrote:
Yeah, not a bad story at all. But some stuff left me baffled and feeling a bit cheated. Anyone want to explain why that beam me up scotty moment wasn't a cheap cop out?
Yes baffled is the word I was looking for.
Dobey Kweeg
 
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:26 pm
Contact:

They fell into the crack and conveniently ceased to ever have been.

It wasnt as bad a resolution as some, though i still did feel like a few too many cop outs balanced on top of one anohter - the Amy not being got by "pretending" she could see was the worst I thought - a bit like the bit in the Cushing Lee Dracula film where Van H grabs a couple of candlesticks and makes a cross - turning what had been an almost insurmountable threat into something weaker than a human - Now they cant move if they think you can see them? Oh dear.

As fo the final scene, well that was awful. Even putting aside innappropriateness of it in terms of character and timeslot, it actually more than anyhitng made me think "wow, Moffatt REALLY disliked Rose and all that squeeing didnt he?". Now I agree with him, but he didn't have to get so graphic to illustrate the point! :)
dcampbell

Dobey Kweeg wrote:It wasnt as bad a resolution as some, though i still did feel liek a few too amny cop outs balabnced on top of one anohter - the Amy not beign got by "pretending" she could see was the wosrt I though - a bit like the bit in hte Cushing Lee Dracula film where Van H grabs a couple of candlesticks and makes a cross - turning what had been an almost insurmountable threat into something weaker than a human - Now they cant move if they think you can see them? Oh dear.
They were already being weakened by the time rift energy by that point, so it's not a weapon that can be used against them again except under very particular circumstances. The full strength Angels are very scary monsters indeed.
Post Reply

Return to “SERIES 5”

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests