No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 1
NoSoul

abominable snowman wrote:I don't want to sound rude but does Ian Levine ever come on here? :(
Yes, though if last week is any indication, he's more chatty over on OG after an episode I've noticed. But he's also been busy finishing up a record, so who knows....
"Hi, I'm Troy McClure. You may remember me from such spin-offs as Son of Sanford and Son, and AfterMannix."
NoSoul

CADILLAC wrote:They should have kept River with her hair down and in that sexy black dress.......

Or is that my private personal fantasy..... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
That makes one of us :mrgreen:
"Hi, I'm Troy McClure. You may remember me from such spin-offs as Son of Sanford and Son, and AfterMannix."
DaReverendMrMagister

toxicspurge wrote:The Doctor shot out one of these "gravity globes" so the internal gravity field of the ship extended down to grab the Doctor and Co.
For some reason I missed the gravity globe until the third time I watched The Time of Angels.

When they get into the top cave the Doctor says something like "Have you got any lights" and a soldier passes him an object saying, "Yes. Gravity globe"

The object is a sphere with a handle on it. The Doctor examines it for a second then KICKS the globe up into the air (yes, the globe is about the same size as a football, ho ho presumably this is the first hint of the Doctor's interest in football....)

The globe flies up and starts glowing.

This is what the Doctor shoots and liquid pours out but it's never mentioned again??

I thought the liquid would be what helped them fly up but.... :?:
NoSoul

pekinghomonculus wrote:10/10 - Fantastic.

There's a fascinating theory on OG that The Doctor from the final two episodes of the series is the one that suddenly appears next to Amy and tells her to remember something about being seven. He has his new darker jacket on...

Very, very clever if true (which I guess it must be!)
I agree, having his jacket on is a clear sign that something else is afoot, time-wise. I'll give The Moff the benefit of a doubt that this will all make sense at the end, as he's clearly going for something more complicated than "Bad Wolf" scrawled across time here.
WHOis007?

I'm probably alone in this but I didn't mind Amy's (well, let's be blunt) molestation of the Doctor. The psychology is really quite accurate.

Abandonment, return of a childhood hero. Gives up dreams, decides to marry a 'normal' guy, faced with that, she goes a bit...loopy.
"Beat you, cock."

Oh Tom. You and your double entendres.
Dobey Kweeg

WHOis007? wrote:I'm probably alone in this but I didn't mind Amy's (well, let's be blunt) molestation of the Doctor. The psychology is really quite accurate.

Abandonment, return of a childhood hero. Gives up dreams, decides to marry a 'normal' guy, faced with that, she goes a bit...loopy.

I dunno - After thinking about it, the thing that didnt fit right with me was how casually it was handled. This is the guy shes obsessed with all these years, and tried to find a substitue in Rory - surely being rejected by the Doctor would have brought on a psychological meltdown, rather than what we saw here, which seemed like a pretty casual attempt, both in her execution (surely she would ahve been very very nervous about this moment?) and her reaction to the outcome. Maybe they'll show something in the next episode or so, but for me it didnt ring true, and was casual enough to make Amy less likeable, when the scene actaully could have done the opposite if handled with a bit more care.
tony ingram

WHOis007? wrote:I'm probably alone in this but I didn't mind Amy's (well, let's be blunt) molestation of the Doctor. The psychology is really quite accurate.

Yep, absolutely spot on for me, particularly after almost dying in terrifying circumstances. Amy'c character and her abandonment and trust issues have been handled very well, very subtly-and this scene, where she lets go and clumsily trys to seduce the Doctor is clearly in character, it's her trying to run from making a commitment to Rory, which is probably scarier than the Angels for her.
Ian Levine

abominable snowman wrote:I don't want to sound rude but does Ian Levine ever come on here?
Constantly.
Ian Levine

bingo99 wrote:Right, the resolution to last week's episode, about gravity and jumping up, could someone explain that to me please

The Byzantium was still powered up when it was caused to crash by the angel in its belly.
Caused to crash so that the decayed angels could absorb the power from it and reform themselves.
This meant the Byzantium's internal gravity was still operative.
The Angels were having a feeding frenzy, sucking the power from the Byzantium. That was why they became more like regular angels than decayed statues.
Now remember that the Byzantium was still powered up all this time, and of course that power included the ship's gravity.
Once the power failed, because the Angels had fed on it to recover themselves, off went the gravity, and all the angels fell down into the crack, which, like the soldiers before them, caused them never to have existed in the first place.

A brilliant solution, carefully thought out in every detail.

This ending was meticulous in its inventiveness and logical conclusion.
Victor

After the Doctor shoots the light ball, he said something about what it contains giving them a boost, so they jump, helped by the outpouring fluid and then are presumably caught up in the Byzantium's active gravitational field.
Makkabee

Something just occurred to me. If the angels were caused to never have existed in the first place, wouldn't that mean the three priests they killed would be alive again? Though I suppose if the bodies were close enough to the crack they'd never have existed either. But more importantly, if the Angel in the hold caused the Byzantium to crash on this planet and now that Angel never existed, shouldn't that mean the Byzantium never crashed? Paradox is a tricky thing to play with.
"You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time." Abraham Lincoln (attributed)
hsbc123-0

bingo99 wrote:
If bullets leave The Angels unscratched, why should falling a hundred feet cause them any problems?
They fell into the crack, thus sealing it (temporarily). That's how I interpreted in anyway!
dastari

Occured to me that Amy is trying to get herself pregnant by the Doctor for some unstated but possibly important reason. A couple of lines have left me feeling that this Amy has been travelling with the Doctor for longer than he thinks. Lots of hints that timelines will be quite confused later in the series, so maybe her lascivious behaviour will be explained in this way? Also, why didn't River know Amy? She knew of Donna...

All will be revealed I'm sure (except who River is and who she killed - spoilers!).

Generally loved last night. It had such a tense and off beat feel to it. Amy's character development is fantastic in my view - so much that is adorable and funny and engaging and yet some things that are just so obviously damaged. The angels are, hands down, the creepiest monster ever to appear in the series. And I remember the Tetraps. The last scene with Father Octavian showed that Moffat can do dying, not everybody lives - many die quite horribly.

I thought the crack in the walls was fairly innicuous at first, but this episode has made it seem genuinely threatening and huge and impending. Much better than some graffiti on the side of the Tardis!

Negatives? Ummm... ummm.... maybe the gravity thing wasn't realised or explained particularly well. But that really is all I can think of. And I've decided I QUITE like the theme tune because of the lightning strikes, although the arrangement is ultimately inferior.

The best two parter since The Empty Child and the best run of five stories since season twelve.
ianj
The Dominator
The Dominator

Waaa!!!!!!!! I was out and forgot all about it!! bbc3 for me tonight...............ianj
Nobbend

ianj wrote:Waaa!!!!!!!! I was out and forgot all about it!! bbc3 for me tonight...............ianj
You "forgot"? Crumbs! It's the centrepiece of my weekend.

Yours faithfully,

Sadismund Gitfor Nobbend Esq
OptikaNET

It was pretty much everything I looked for in an episode and, had I been under ten, the scene with a "blind" Amy groping her way between hordes of Angels would have had me behind the sofa in a moment!!!

But afraid I had to deduct a point for the baffling last scene. I get that this is part of the ongoing story arc and I like the reintroduced "cliffhanger at the end of every episode" thing Moffat's going on, but it did rather spoil the atmosphere of the preceeding forty-odd minutes.

The gravity thing. My guess is that there were three competing gravity fields, the natural planetary one, the one being given out by the gravity globe to keep it in the air (some people posting on here may have forgotten that gravity globes were introduced in The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit ) and the gravity field on the ship. Presumably these are all interacting with each other in some way as gravity does. Now, when the Doctor destroys the gravity globe (the liquid was just a cool effect instead of a shower of sparks or something) there is a moment when the ship's gravity field has to readjust to the changing conditions and the gravity field from the globe has gone haywire. When the group jump they pass into a sort of null field (for the science savvy - a sort of artificial La Grange point) and their momentum makes them keep going until they find themselves in the gravity field of the ship which then pulls them "down" to it's surface.

Two problems with this hypothesis; one, as Tox said, they should have landed on their heads! And, two, it doesn't explain why the gravity field on the hull is polarised at 90 degrees to the gravity field in the corridor! Unless it's an automatic field to ensure that EVA (ExtraVehicular Activity) crew don't fall into space...

I loved this two-parter!

Kind Regards
Dave

PS. Presumably all the Angels in this episode who fell into the crack ceased to exist, rather than all Angels everywhere and anytime, so presumably we can meet them again. This goes back to my main problem with Blink in that the "immobilized" angels in the dark cellar will only stay immobilised for as long as that single light bulb keeps working...
Dobey Kweeg

And of course, theres loads of examples of angels here who would have ended up seeing each other and locking themselves - in a sense, an army of Angels is an idea that falls at the first hurdle!
dcampbell

OptikaNET wrote:PS. Presumably all the Angels in this episode who fell into the crack ceased to exist, rather than all Angels everywhere and anytime, so presumably we can meet them again. This goes back to my main problem with Blink in that the "immobilized" angels in the dark cellar will only stay immobilised for as long as that single light bulb keeps working...
Possibly the Angels can see in the dark?
DaReverendMrMagister

OK I've watched it twice now.

7/10 Very good (but not nearly as good as part 1 and I got quite bored with the Angels in the middle.)

Lots of Babylon 5 style prefiguring of forthcoming events and time-jumping stuff to come it looks like.

Do you think we will ever see a season that is not 12 portentous episodes leading up to the destruction of Earth or the Universe by 6 billion CGI things in the finale? If I'm honest, it's becoming a little wearing.
Makkabee

Hordes of angels running about and not looking at/immobilizing each other bothers me, Moffatt made such a big deal about that being their big weakness last time he used the things.
"You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time." Abraham Lincoln (attributed)

Return to “SERIES 5”

• Information