Rate Matt Smith's Performance So Far!

Rate Matt Smith's Performance after 7 Eps!

56%
22%
13%
3%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
6%

Total votes: 32
Vermicious Knid

We're 7 eps into Season 5! Time to rate Matt Smith's performance so far!
Vermicious Knid

I rarely rate anything a "10" as I almost always think there's room for improvement. That said, though, I gave Matt Smith a "10". I honestly don't see how he can get better than this! I think his portrayal of the Doctor is perfect.

Pat Troughton is my favorite Doctor, but so far, Matt Smith is giving him a run for his money!
abominable snowman

Matt Smith has been 10/10 every week up to now

:Tardis:
Prisoner Zero

10/10 :D
Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner

A great big 10 out of 10 from me.

Matt Smith is by a long mile the best thing about this series.

I was hoping he'd be okay, wishing for good, but got outstanding.
The best chance for achieving peace and prosperity, for the maximum number of people worldwide, is to pursue the cause of liberty.

If you find this to be a worthwhile message, spread it throughout the land.
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Vermicious Knid wrote:I rarely rate anything a "10" as I almost always think there's room for improvement. That said, though, I gave Matt Smith a "10". I honestly don't see how he can get better than this! I think his portrayal of the Doctor is perfect.

Pat Troughton is my favorite Doctor, but so far, Matt Smith is giving him a run for his money!
You know, Mr Knid, I agree with everything you've said 100% (including the comment about Pat Troughton).
Vermicious Knid

Call me "Vermicious" or "Knid", Liz. "Mr Knid" is my Father! LOL
ianj
The Dominator
The Dominator

9 out of 10 from me; hes a super mix of Hartnell/Troughton and Davison, and I love his speech and little hand movements. Lets hope he stays that way!ianj
The Nimon

10 / 10, he's really stepped up to the mark and hit it :Tardis:
The Judge Judy of Planet Mondax
Dogbolter

I had a good feeling about Matt Smith as soon as I saw him on confidential. I enjoyed going from that sinking feeling of the Moff telling us about having an even younger Doctor to suddenly having Matt Smith pop up with his weird boney face and his fumbling nervous enthusiasm.

I think he has absolutely nailed the character with a truth that few previous actors have fully realised. Strong hints of "season 6a" Troughton and "Virgin NA" McCoy with just a whiff of "Big Finish" Colin Baker, with the overall result greater than the sum of its parts of course.

I am also enjoying the style of some of the new episodes and the "crack" story arc. It feels oddly divorced from the glossy, commercial (slightly ITV drama) feel of series 1-4 and from the events of those series, I can't put my finger on what's changed (other than the obvious). Budget cuts and hi-def perhaps? It seems as though series 5/31/fnarg is some kind of Life on Mars/Ashes to Ashes dream happening inside the regenerating head of the tenth Doctor back on the Powell Estate. In fact the BBC could save us a regeneration when Matt leaves by having a ginger "12th" Doctor coming round on the floor of the old TARDIS and realising he'd dreamt the whole thing! (Obviously not.)
tony ingram

10/10 from me, he's slipped intop the role quite effortlessly and just made it his own. Though he still has a way to go to beat Tom Baker or my joint second favourites, Troughton and McGann.
chap with wings

trying too hard to be wacky and eccentric, doesent seem comfortable in the role, only once has he felt like The Doctor, a good ensemble actor, but not good enough to carry a show.
"It can become a kind of franchise where it's not a real character at all, but just an amalgam of elements that people think are Doctor Who: a scarf, a bow tie... I wanted to be the actual Doctor Who." - Peter Capaldi

Follow me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/BlogFinish

My Big Finish Review Archive is here - http://blogfinishplanetmondas.blogspot.co.uk/
ianj
The Dominator
The Dominator

chap with wings wrote:trying too hard to be wacky and eccentric, doesent seem comfortable in the role, only once has he felt like The Doctor, a good ensemble actor, but not good enough to carry a show.

*************************** REEL!******************************************THUD!*************************************ianj
mrmoo2001

8 from me... he's good but not up there with Tom or Jon
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

mrmoo2001 wrote:8 from me... he's good but not up there with Tom or Jon
Well, yes, perhaps - but then he doesn't have such good material to work with.
Kamelion

I'm afraid I disagree with most of the other posts. I really do not enjoy Matt Smiths performance at all. I find him just 'going through the motions' whilst wearing the most dire costume since Hugo Lang.
I'm aware this is just me but it is hard to define what it is about him that I do not warm to. When he was cast I thought he would be excellent but after the transmission of his first story I was rather deflated.
Anyone who has read other posts of mine pertaining to the new series will know I am a die hard fan of the classic series and Davison/Colin Baker in particular but I am not totally opposed to change (how can anyone be with a show like Who!)
I happen to rate Christopher Eccleston as one of the best actors we have in this country and have watched virtually everything he has done (Cracker, Our Friends in the North and especially Let Him Have It - which is one of my all time favourite films) and was doing cartwheels when he was cast back in 2005.
I was sorry to say I thought his was an absolutley appalling performance as our hero - far too many wisecracks, gormless grins and miracle solutions - Then came Tennant who was absolutley brilliant. Now with Mr. Smith I am again left cold by his portrayal and tune in out of a sense of loyalty rather than anticipation. This is entirely my problem I know but just wanted to share it with you lot.
Here's to the twelfth incarnation (hopefully Robert Hardy!)
"..and who knows when it will end..."
chap with wings

Having watched a lot of David Tennant's era recently, its amazing how poor Smith is compared to him.
Could you imagine Smith doing Human Nature or Last of the Timelords or the scene on the beach with Rose, or anything at all with Donna Noble?
SMith is just so generic and bland, with only The Lodger allowing him to become his own man and stop being a "tenth rate Tennant".
"It can become a kind of franchise where it's not a real character at all, but just an amalgam of elements that people think are Doctor Who: a scarf, a bow tie... I wanted to be the actual Doctor Who." - Peter Capaldi

My Big Finish Review Archive is here - http://blogfinishplanetmondas.blogspot.co.uk/
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Kamelion wrote:I'm afraid I disagree with most of the other posts. I really do not enjoy Matt Smiths performance at all. I find him just 'going through the motions' whilst wearing the most dire costume since Hugo Lang.
I'm aware this is just me but it is hard to define what it is about him that I do not warm to. When he was cast I thought he would be excellent but after the transmission of his first story I was rather deflated.
Anyone who has read other posts of mine pertaining to the new series will know I am a die hard fan of the classic series and Davison/Colin Baker in particular but I am not totally opposed to change (how can anyone be with a show like Who!)
I happen to rate Christopher Eccleston as one of the best actors we have in this country and have watched virtually everything he has done (Cracker, Our Friends in the North and especially Let Him Have It - which is one of my all time favourite films) and was doing cartwheels when he was cast back in 2005.
I was sorry to say I thought his was an absolutley appalling performance as our hero - far too many wisecracks, gormless grins and miracle solutions - Then came Tennant who was absolutley brilliant. Now with Mr. Smith I am again left cold by his portrayal and tune in out of a sense of loyalty rather than anticipation. This is entirely my problem I know but just wanted to share it with you lot.
Here's to the twelfth incarnation (hopefully Robert Hardy!)
FWIW I thought Eccleston gave it his best but was badly let down by the script and the whole way his character was visualised. I seem to remember that he wanted to wear period costumes etc but ended up in a leather jacket; and as you say, he was given far too much pointless grinning, together with not being allowed to actually be the hero - RTD seemed keen to make it the "Rose Tyler Show" with the Doctor as second fiddle. It wasn't his performance that was dire, IMHO, but the material he was given.

Tennant seemed OK at first, and did very well considering the material he was given, but when I see and hear him not acting, I just think why, why, why did he have to put on that awful accent and, well, act so damn hard? Couldn't he just have been a bit more natural? Obviously the tidal wave of awful stories (plus the odd good one, usually Doctor-lite in one sense or another - HN/TFOB, Blink) didn't help...

My opinion of Matt Smith came as a completely unexpected surprise when I watched "The 11th Hour", and was one of the few pleasant surprises I've had while watching new Who. Namely - he IS the Doctor. He just seems to have naturally taken on the persona with no effort at all (probably a complete illusion, no doubt it is quite hard work really.) I was expecting not to particularly like him; my heart sank when I saw the "youngest Doctor ever" publicity beforehand.

Unfortunately, despite Moffat being a writer's masterclass compared to his predecessor, Matt Smith is also not being given material to work with as good as I would like -- which isn't THAT surprising,, I suppose. We still have a lot of the same writers who were allowed to get away with dire scripts under RTD, plus Moffat, who has been a bit variable to say the least - his heart seems to be in the right place (after all, it was him who said "Doctor Who is not a show for beginners, it’s a show for people who really know what they are doing and who also really ‘get’ Sci-Fi") but then he did, also, write "The Girl in the Fireplace" with a plot that makes some of RTD look almost coherent, and dialogue gems like "Oh, such a lonely childhood... so lonely, so very very alone... such a lonely little boy - lonely then and lonelier now... my lonely Doctor." Vomiting Smiley Face

So my main hope is that Moffat will improve and Matt Smith will improve - as opposed to RTD and Tennant, both of whom seemed promising to begin with, but then went onto autopilot.
Kamelion

I did say I think I'm alone in my appraisal of Smith's performance but he hasn't yet won me over now with an entire season under his belt (whereas as a Davison die hard I was sold with Colin Baker by 'The Mark of the Rani').
As I don't particularly like new who as opposed to the classic stuff I wonder if it this blinkardness that is turning me against him? But then as I said I did enjoy alot of Tennants tenure.
As for Eccleston, another greivance of mine was that ludicrous crack about 'the North' and his attitude given in interviews regarding previous Doctors as upper class and toffee nosed. A character is a character surely - I didn't see him playing the Duke of Norfolk in the excellent 'Elizabeth' as a mancunian! There would have been outrage!!!!
I very much agree with you when you say Ecclestons stint was overshadowed by the Rose Tyler extravaganza and conclude that this was also a very big gripe of mine. It tended to become a show set on a London council estate with a time machine parked nearby.
In the words of my hero "There should have been another way..."
"..and who knows when it will end..."
chap with wings

You are not alone in your appraisal Kamelion, I think he is the worst of them all, a complete non event as The Doctor.

Return to “SERIES 5”

• Information