11%
6%
1%
2%
0%
1%

Total votes: 201
chap with wings

Rate tonights episode, thoughts and opinions are more than welcome as well!!! :D
"It can become a kind of franchise where it's not a real character at all, but just an amalgam of elements that people think are Doctor Who: a scarf, a bow tie... I wanted to be the actual Doctor Who." - Peter Capaldi

Follow me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/BlogFinish

My Big Finish Review Archive is here - http://blogfinishplanetmondas.blogspot.co.uk/
Kublai Khan

We're all wearing our cutout Silurian masks :geek:
Solon

Brilliant! Chibnall all is forgiven :P
Kublai Khan

It was worth wearing the masks for. It got a thumbs up here. Like the dark scenes, very tense and atmospheric.

Good to have a child actor that can act I haven't forgotten Fear Her :?
THE DALEK SUPREME

It's hard to rate two parters. I'll give it a 7 this week but it might go up to an 8 or 9 if next week's is really good.

It had a classic series vibe with the nods to the original Silurians, Inferno and Frontios and the new Silurians didn't look as bad as I thought even if the accent was a bit Russian sounding.

There was a bit less dramatic tension that I expected especially in the graveyard scenes, but darkening it helped.

7/10.
The Nimon

Good episode, looking forward to Part 2. I'm really liking Rory
The Judge Judy of Planet Mondax
Arcturus

The Nimon wrote:Good episode, looking forward to Part 2. I'm really liking Rory
Rory is brilliant, I don't know why so many fans don't like the character, he's really funny and likeable.

Episode 8/10 and Matt Smith 10/10
greystone

7/10 some real tension there.
Grugger

Chinball wankfest :roll:
robbo13

9 from me, hope part two is as good!
Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner

I thought that was bloody brilliant! It reminded me of why I became a Doctor Who fan in the first place.

The story was pacey, tense, fun and just generally well written. The acting and directing were also top notch, and the new Silurians were much better 'in the flesh'. I liked the scenes of the flitting about in the graveyard in the gloom, making the graveyard dark made it much more atmospheric, it reminded me of an old Hammer horror.

Rory is becoming one of my favourite characters, I love that bumbling unsure of himself thing that he does.

Matt Smith continues to be the best thing about the series, he's just outstanding.

10/10.
The best chance for achieving peace and prosperity, for the maximum number of people worldwide, is to pursue the cause of liberty.

If you find this to be a worthwhile message, spread it throughout the land.
image45
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

I found this week’s episode a little lacking in the pace that the other episodes have shown on screen these past few weeks. It’s nice to have the Silurian’s back but I am not over happy with their new faces.

Even though I find I am loving Matt’s Doctor and how the new production team have tackled the stories and the series direction I am having trouble with past series monsters been fully redesigned/changed, first it was the Daleks and now the Silurian’s.

What is next to change dare I ask!!!!!!!!!
O-Ren Ishii: You didn't think it was gonna be that easy, did you?
The Bride: You know, for a second there, yeah, I kinda did.
O-Ren Ishii: Silly rabbit.
Dave Ross

It was okay this week, I didn't like the new Silurians but they looked a bit crap in the photos.

PS Sorry to see some of your so-called friends didn't turn out to support you tonight. Maybe you should tell them all to phuck off a few times, seems to work for some people :roll:

Keep at it :D
Today, the Kaled race is ended, consumed in a fire of war, but, from it's ashes will rise a new race. The supreme creature. The ultimate conqueror of the universe - the Dalek!
D.84

Despite the new Silurians i loved this story. 10/10

I did hope that someday we'd see the return of the Ice Warriors but the thought of Moffat changing the way they looked now worries me.
aggedor

I'm finding it hard to work up much enthusiasm for this episode.

Amy wasn't dressed for a carnival in Rio, she looked like she was off down the shops in Wolverhampton with her Mum on an Autumn afternoon. The good news is that she wasn't in it a lot, I just can't relate to her because she doesn't convey emotion at all. She's almost expressionless most of the time, and the characterisation lacks fluidity.

It was a remake of Silurians with rubbish looking Silurians.

6/10
image45
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

Arcturus wrote:
The Nimon wrote:Good episode, looking forward to Part 2. I'm really liking Rory
Rory is brilliant, I don't know why so many fans don't like the character, he's really funny and likeable.

Episode 8/10 and Matt Smith 10/10

Yes I like Rory, the character is really funny and likeable as you say.

Lets hope he last a bit longer for use all to see each week!
O-Ren Ishii: You didn't think it was gonna be that easy, did you?
The Bride: You know, for a second there, yeah, I kinda did.
O-Ren Ishii: Silly rabbit.
Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner

D.84 wrote:Despite the new Silurians i loved this story. 10/10

I did hope that someday we'd see the return of the Ice Warriors but the thought of Moffat changing the way they looked now worries me.
That's exactly how I feel. They did look much better on screen than they did in the photographs, I thought the mask was particularly effective, but after the terrible Dalek re-design and the not particularly good Silurian design it makes me almost wish they don't bring back any other old monsters like the Ice Warriors.

To be fair they're not bad, they're just not that good. I suppose these days full head masks would look a bit naff especially in hi def.

For me the story worked, the characters worked, and the Silurians worked. I liked the mention that there were different tribes, explaining why they don't always look the same, and the nod to the fact they shouldn't really be called Silurians at all.

Plus Matt Smith is making this series highly watchable because he's simply outstanding as the Doctor.

Rory is a brilliant character, it makes me smile every time I think of that "I'm a gondola... driver" scene.
The best chance for achieving peace and prosperity, for the maximum number of people worldwide, is to pursue the cause of liberty.

If you find this to be a worthwhile message, spread it throughout the land.
Vermicious Knid

Wow! 10 out of 10!

Everything that is brilliant about Doctor Who and everything it should be!

i can imagine myself watching this episode as the very first time seeing Doctor Who and being completely hooked!

I can't imagine it getting better than this!
Zenith

Yup, I agree with the consensus - Great storyline and very well directed. :)

I will watch it again tomorrow as again I wasn't in the best environment today but it impressed me mostly by being a real patchwork Pertwee era story, while i'm slightly worried about the amount of cribbed ideas and lack of originality the overall effect worked very well and that's what is really important at the end of the day. The pacing was impressive, something that's become apparent about this new series is that it is relaxing the pace a bit and the stories unfold at a more natural rate, this episode felt much longer than it was but in a good way. It really did bring back that childhood feeling i used to get of anticipation and excitement at the latest episode and the dissapointment when it was nearly over... with the new producer and cast the series is becoming easier to follow and that's a very good development indeed.

I was dissapointed by the lack of originality in the Silurian rdesign, too human, this is a very generic sci-fi lizard and while technically very fine make-up there's a lack of memorability there. I'm especially dissapointed i suppose as they've given us truly superb designs in the past, look to End of the World or the Slitheen as examples.
Nontheless I think the story and background could overcome that deficiency, the moral issues if played right are fascinating and I hope it ends without the Silurians being bombed or whatnot - there's a wonderful concept here with cities and ancient races liing beneath ground that harks back to the wonder of the Sea Devils coming out of the sea. A strong concept for Doctor Who to keep around to revisit and which would make the arguable shortcomings of the Silurian design design irrelevant.

Performances were allround excellent though Karen Gillen is definitly falling well short for me, as someone above noted she lacks any sincere emotion and just does not feel real.
On the other hand i adored Meera Syall's performance and it is a 180% turnaround to Gillens, I would love her to tag along with The Doctor as a future companion as she's not only a terrific character with story potential but is a bloody good actress. A sort of updated Liz Shaw....

Terrific stuff, I look forward to giving it a proper watch tommorrow.

:Tardis:
toxicspurge

I thought it was totally brilliant!

A complete 10 out of 10!

Can't wait for next week!

Return to “SERIES 5”

• Information