1%
2%
0%
1%

Total votes: 201
Kamelion

Kafka wrote:
tony ingram wrote:
Kamelion wrote:Absolute dross, blatant 'Warriors of the Deep' and 'The Sea Devils', 'Silurians' rip off.
"Let's reclaim our planet from the primitive apes" (yawn) I hope Johnny Byrne has been paid sufficient royalties for use of his scripts.
Matt Smith is totally unlikeable in the role and I am finding it increasing difficult to care about his predicament which I cannot say for ANY of the other Doctors. Colin Baker was arrogant in the part as is Smith but at least Colin was amusing and you could forgive him anything. I fear the eleventh incarnation is the weakest of all.
People only say things like "He's the best Doctor ever!" because He is the current one, basis of which is biased performance
Nope, I hated Tennant when he was 'the current one'. I'm enjoying Smith because his Doctor is a massive improvement.
What Tony Ingram said.
8/10 for me. Aside from the obvious comparisons with the current story, anyone else picking up a general feeling of Pertwee-ism about this season in general? Not that it's a bad thing...
Absolutely, except that Pertwee was good at portraying our hero
"..and who knows when it will end..."
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

chap with wings wrote:Rate tonights episode, thoughts and opinions are more than welcome as well!!! :D
Are you watching it now, chap?
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Solon wrote:Brilliant! Chibnall all is forgiven :P
As someone said of another story...

"Two good episodes in a row written by Chris Chibnall. Yes, we said Chris Chibnall. What, has he had a brain transplant or something?"

The only obviously bad things about this, on a first viewing, were...

The obviously mammalian Silurian/Eocene/whatever. Sorry, but saying its "another branch of the race" isn't a licence to convert a reptile into a mammal, they should have tried for something with a more humanoid/reptilian body shape IMHO.

The gross bit with Amy and the guy near the end. CC can't resist that sort of thing, it seems.

The dichotomy between people getting pulled down into holes and bodies taken from graves - all nice and spooky - and the things coming up very slowly from far, far below. If they only were disturbed by the drill when it reached 21k, what are they also doing just beneath the surface? Maybe all will be explained...
markhuk

LizR wrote:
Solon wrote:Brilliant! Chibnall all is forgiven :P
As someone said of another story...

"Two good episodes in a row written by Chris Chibnall. Yes, we said Chris Chibnall. What, has he had a brain transplant or something?"

The only obviously bad things about this, on a first viewing, were...

The obviously mammalian Silurian/Eocene/whatever. Sorry, but saying its "another branch of the race" isn't a licence to convert a reptile into a mammal, they should have tried for something with a more humanoid/reptilian body shape IMHO.

The gross bit with Amy and the guy near the end. CC can't resist that sort of thing, it seems.

The dichotomy between people getting pulled down into holes and bodies taken from graves - all nice and spooky - and the things coming up very slowly from far, far below. If they only were disturbed by the drill when it reached 21k, what are they also doing just beneath the surface? Maybe all will be explained...
It would be a fool to say that its perfect but I do think its an entertaining story

With regards to the bodies I cant help but think theyre either for dissection or possibly food
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

markhuk wrote:It would be a fool to say that its perfect but I do think its an entertaining story
I agree, so far so good...
markhuk wrote:With regards to the bodies I cant help but think theyre either for dissection or possibly food
Yes, it wasn't the fact that they took them that seemed odd, but that they appeared to be living just beneath the Earth's surface, yet they are later seen coming up from a great depth - 21 kilometres or more. These two facts seem to contradict each other, so I hope that's explained in part 2.

I might also add that I thought the Silurian's face was much worse than any of the original versions, especially once the mask was removed - if that had been the face, I wouldn't have minded so much, but what was underneath looked far too human.
Kajaboy

ianj wrote: Im dreading the cybermen restyling......
"We thought what can we change about the Cybermen? I know lets make them orange and have toasters built into the head". :shock:
My next door neighbour mixed up her KY jelly with the superglue. I asked her how she managed that but her lips are sealed.
Kajaboy

Nobbend wrote:
As The Doctor pointed out, he met another branch of the species before. So far he has encountered 5 different sub-species. The mis-named (by Dr Quinn) Silurians in The Silurians, the (misnamed by a maintenance man) Sea Devils in The Sea Devils, the (self calling) Silurians in Warriors of the Deep- similar but different to those in The Silurians as their third eye was not a tool/weapon, the dark skinned flat finned armour wearing Sea Devils in the same story, now this mob in The Hungry Earth.
There is a huge difference though. A Silurian from the 1970's looks like a Silurian from the 1980's. These new ones have nothing in common at all with the old ones except that they are green.

However they have appeared over the years, a Cyberman looks like a Cyberman. They have changed a lot but one look tells you what they are. When I saw the press pictures of the new Silurians I thought it was a new alien. The shape, the eyes, the voice, everything is just wrong.
My next door neighbour mixed up her KY jelly with the superglue. I asked her how she managed that but her lips are sealed.
ianj
The Dominator
The Dominator

They are changing too much in this series; daleks, silurians, cybermen, music, titles..............ianj
Vermicious Knid

It's interesting you think so. I thought the last episode was extremely reminiscent of the Pertwee Era.
Kajaboy

Vermicious Knid wrote:It's interesting you think so. I thought the last episode was extremely reminiscent of the Pertwee Era.
Wash your mouth out. :lol:
Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner

Please let it start raining all over the UK at 6.50 this evening :lol:
The best chance for achieving peace and prosperity, for the maximum number of people worldwide, is to pursue the cause of liberty.

If you find this to be a worthwhile message, spread it throughout the land.
toxicspurge

Does it really matter the number of people who watch Doctor Who on a given night, though? Surely, the market share is the important number.
mrmoo2001

Hmmmmm...

Bad points:

New Silurians look lame (I've nothing against them looking a bit different, times change etc. but come on, a chick with a green face?)
Show tries too hard to make me care about the characters
Amy is being annoying (she is usually quite bearable)
For that matter, everyone except for Rory and the Doctor are being annoying
Matt Smith seems to be regressing to Tennant ever so slightly
In fact the whole episode is plying out like one of David Tennant's leftovers

The good:

I stayed awake

Overall: Not that bad, but I'm not exactly stoked about next week
'teleportNOW!'

Watched this one again last night... not too bad (as usual, being the first episode, with a cliffhanger, helps improve things!)...
Cygnus Prime
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

chap with wings wrote:Rate tonights episode, thoughts and opinions are more than welcome as well!!! :D

The Doctor tries to get everyone to Rio, but nothing quite goes as planned. They arrive in a small Welsh village where the Doctor immediately senses that the ground isn't quite right. There is a drilling rig nearby that has reached a depth of 21 kilometers when odd things begin to happen. A local village man has disappeared and soon after Amy is swallowed into the ground. The Doctor realizes that the drilling has disturbed an ancient reptilian race that has lived deep underground for thousands upon thousands of years and who are determined to protect themselves ...

Return to “SERIES 5”

• Information