11%
6%
1%
2%
0%
1%

Total votes: 201
robbo13

I just dont get this about the new design. The old one was clearly blokes running around in rubber suits with masks on, whereas the new one at least look abit realistic. The old design would have been laughed at these days. As much as I am a fan of older Who, this is one area where they are better off making changes for the modern audience, otherwise they will stop watching like they did in the 80s.
toxicspurge

Honestly, I don't understand people's problems with the new Silurian design. They look fine to me.
Nobbend

toxicspurge wrote:Honestly, I don't understand people's problems with the new Silurian design. They look fine to me.

I thinks it's nice that the Silurians equip their warriors with Etheric Beam Locators- after all they can't be boobs because reptiles don't suckle their young.
chap with wings

toxicspurge wrote:I thought it was totally brilliant!

A complete 10 out of 10!

Can't wait for next week!

Hey Tox, great to see you back!!
"It can become a kind of franchise where it's not a real character at all, but just an amalgam of elements that people think are Doctor Who: a scarf, a bow tie... I wanted to be the actual Doctor Who." - Peter Capaldi

Follow me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/BlogFinish

My Big Finish Review Archive is here - http://blogfinishplanetmondas.blogspot.co.uk/
tony ingram

Great story, suspenseful, good performances from the regulars and the guest cast and Amy's predicament is suitably worrying. BUT. The Silurians look far too human. Reptiles, as has been mentioned, do not have mammary glands. And 'homo reptilia'? That's scientific nonsense. 'Homo' refers to us and our ancestors within a specific date range-it cannot apply to reptiles from 365 million years ago!
Shaving Foamasi

7 for me. Very good but not classic.

I think the Silurians looked too human - the originals may have looked like men in a rubber suit but these look like people in (excellent) make-up. It reminded me of Torchwood a lot - no surprise there considering who wrote it - I did wonder why, if it was set in South Wales how Torchwood hadn't detected the base with their superior technology, but then I remembered that Torchwood were crap at everything... :lol:

The final scene with Amy was a Silurian approaching her with a knife, with the inference that it was going to slice her up. I thought that was a bit graphic for a programme broadcast at 6:15. I'm sure Mary Whitehouse would be spinning in her grave... :shock:

Oh and it was marvellous to hear Bernard Cribbins' marvellous Hole in the Ground on Confidential! :D :D
You mean you believed the Doctor would never regenerate into a woman?
Muskey71

It was ok for me, the regulars were excellent as always.

For me there was far to much 'borrowing' of plots from classic Who. Inferno, The Daemons and Frontios immediately spring to mind.

I hope the story improves next week, it wasn't bad but neither was it excellent.

7/10 so far.
tburchell

This story has all the hallmarks of a truly classic tale, worthy of the Letts era. What a shame then, that the BBC are seeing fit to show this mast-head series at 6.15pm, last nights ratings were only 4.5 million which is the lowest by far for any episode since 2005 and harkens back to the late 1980's... and we all know what happened then, lets not let history repeat it'self again, please?
Zenith

tburchell wrote:This story has all the hallmarks of a truly classic tale, worthy of the Letts era. What a shame then, that the BBC are seeing fit to show this mast-head series at 6.15pm, last nights ratings were only 4.5 million which is the lowest by far for any episode since 2005 and harkens back to the late 1980's... and we all know what happened then, lets not let history repeat it'self again, please?
Agreed, I think they take the series' success as granted hence the confidence they feel they can play chess with the schedules and move it about.
I'm sure the ratings are still very solid for even that relatively early timeslot, plus the weather was fantastic outside, but if it was on at it's old 7pm slot I don't think it being presumptious to say it would have doubled its audience.
Zenith

toxicspurge wrote:Honestly, I don't understand people's problems with the new Silurian design. They look fine to me.
Not a problem as such, the make-up is superb, but it's such a generic sci-fi lizard design i'm sure people assume WHO is ripping off 'V'!
Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner

Disappointintg overnights of 4.5 million, due to the weather no doubt.
The best chance for achieving peace and prosperity, for the maximum number of people worldwide, is to pursue the cause of liberty.

If you find this to be a worthwhile message, spread it throughout the land.
Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner

tburchell wrote:This story has all the hallmarks of a truly classic tale, worthy of the Letts era. What a shame then, that the BBC are seeing fit to show this mast-head series at 6.15pm, last nights ratings were only 4.5 million which is the lowest by far for any episode since 2005 and harkens back to the late 1980's... and we all know what happened then, lets not let history repeat it'self again, please?
There was a similar ratings dip a few years ago during a bout of untypically glorious weather. I remember being disappointed that the ratings for The Impossible Planet and The Satan Pit were so low because it was such a great two-parter and deserved a bigger audience. The same thing appears to have happened again.

The ratings were lower last night but the audience share remained consistent at 32.2%, and reportedly there were only 13.1 million people watching TV at the time The Hungry Earth was broadcast, due to everyone else being outdoors enjoying the weather I guess.
The best chance for achieving peace and prosperity, for the maximum number of people worldwide, is to pursue the cause of liberty.

If you find this to be a worthwhile message, spread it throughout the land.
greystone

Mike Nuttall wrote:
D.84 wrote:Despite the new Silurians i loved this story. 10/10

I did hope that someday we'd see the return of the Ice Warriors but the thought of Moffat changing the way they looked now worries me.
That's exactly how I feel. They did look much better on screen than they did in the photographs, I thought the mask was particularly effective, but after the terrible Dalek re-design and the not particularly good Silurian design it makes me almost wish they don't bring back any other old monsters like the Ice Warriors.

To be fair they're not bad, they're just not that good. I suppose these days full head masks would look a bit naff especially in hi def.

For me the story worked, the characters worked, and the Silurians worked. I liked the mention that there were different tribes, explaining why they don't always look the same, and the nod to the fact they shouldn't really be called Silurians at all.

Plus Matt Smith is making this series highly watchable because he's simply outstanding as the Doctor.

Rory is a brilliant character, it makes me smile every time I think of that "I'm a gondola... driver" scene.

Yes I totally agree with those sentiments. The new design is just far too human looking, it isn't like you've found the missing link, they didn't evolve into us so why are their features so similar? It's that old thing of 'the actors need to express themselves...' Rubbish, the actors need to do what they're paid for, act as aliens. The new design would look much better if the mask was part of the face.

Design is an area where Moffet consistantly dissapoints.
greystone

Shaving Foamasi wrote:7 for me. Very good but not classic.

I think the Silurians looked too human - the originals may have looked like men in a rubber suit but these look like people in (excellent) make-up. It reminded me of Torchwood a lot - no surprise there considering who wrote it - I did wonder why, if it was set in South Wales how Torchwood hadn't detected the base with their superior technology, but then I remembered that Torchwood were crap at everything... :lol:

The final scene with Amy was a Silurian approaching her with a knife, with the inference that it was going to slice her up. I thought that was a bit graphic for a programme broadcast at 6:15. I'm sure Mary Whitehouse would be spinning in her grave... :shock: :D

I hope she gets dizzy :evil: that woman has a lot to answer for.
Kamelion

Absolute dross, blatant 'Warriors of the Deep' and 'The Sea Devils', 'Silurians' rip off.
"Let's reclaim our planet from the primitive apes" (yawn) I hope Johnny Byrne has been paid sufficient royalties for use of his scripts.
Matt Smith is totally unlikeable in the role and I am finding it increasing difficult to care about his predicament which I cannot say for ANY of the other Doctors. Colin Baker was arrogant in the part as is Smith but at least Colin was amusing and you could forgive him anything. I fear the eleventh incarnation is the weakest of all.
People only say things like "He's the best Doctor ever!" because He is the current one, basis of which is biased performance
"..and who knows when it will end..."
Deleted User 3134

Setting aside the new-look Silurians for a moment – was I the only one disappointed by the drill head set? Inside it looked like a small, abandoned industrial unit not the home of a record-beating drilling complex.

Otherwise I thought the episode pretty good, if a bit unbalanced. Yet again I felt some of the action sequences were a little too fast – building tension takes time. The dark grave yard is an example: plenty of potential, partly wasted by the galloping narrative. More of a build-up there and less jibbering inside the church would have pleased me.

Otherwise I felt the story worked pretty well.
ianj
The Dominator
The Dominator

GREAT! 9 out of 10 from me; had the Silurians not been politically-correct female revamps, and had stuck to the old facemask design, I would have awarded 10 out of 10. Thats the only mark down from me, and the only reason. Matt Smith is superb as Doctor Who, and LESS is more where the incidental music is concerned--I was glad of that, the creepiness buids far better without the crashing music. I cant wait for part 2 next week! ianj
tony ingram

Kamelion wrote:Absolute dross, blatant 'Warriors of the Deep' and 'The Sea Devils', 'Silurians' rip off.
"Let's reclaim our planet from the primitive apes" (yawn) I hope Johnny Byrne has been paid sufficient royalties for use of his scripts.
Matt Smith is totally unlikeable in the role and I am finding it increasing difficult to care about his predicament which I cannot say for ANY of the other Doctors. Colin Baker was arrogant in the part as is Smith but at least Colin was amusing and you could forgive him anything. I fear the eleventh incarnation is the weakest of all.
People only say things like "He's the best Doctor ever!" because He is the current one, basis of which is biased performance
Nope, I hated Tennant when he was 'the current one'. I'm enjoying Smith because his Doctor is a massive improvement.
tony ingram

Robert Watkins wrote:
Mike Nuttall wrote:Disappointintg overnights of 4.5 million, due to the weather no doubt.
With such crap weather in this country, who wasnt outside yesterday evening?

I record DW and watched later, I wonder how many more millions do?
Judging by the time shifts in the ratings in recent weeks, about 1.5 million people on a regular basis.
valeyarduk

I often watch it later in the evening and I watch on BBc HD channel. It looks a stunning show but I think thats the reason for the human looking Silurians. A mask would probably look like a cheap mask on HD.
Shame because I don`t buy into this idea of wanting to see their expressions better!
They looked like reptiles on the previous 2 stories so I hope Mof doesn`t bring the Ice Warriors back as he has ruined the daleks and now the Silurians!
Apart from that the ep was pretty good!

Return to “SERIES 5”

• Information