11%
6%
1%
2%
0%
1%

Total votes: 201
greystone

Kamelion wrote:Absolute dross, blatant 'Warriors of the Deep' and 'The Sea Devils', 'Silurians' rip off.
"Let's reclaim our planet from the primitive apes" (yawn) I hope Johnny Byrne has been paid sufficient royalties for use of his scripts.
Matt Smith is totally unlikeable in the role and I am finding it increasing difficult to care about his predicament which I cannot say for ANY of the other Doctors. Colin Baker was arrogant in the part as is Smith but at least Colin was amusing and you could forgive him anything. I fear the eleventh incarnation is the weakest of all.
People only say things like "He's the best Doctor ever!" because He is the current one, basis of which is biased performance
Hmm, you need to see a shrink, or a Dr, try Matt Smith :lol:
robbo13

tony ingram wrote:Great story, suspenseful, good performances from the regulars and the guest cast and Amy's predicament is suitably worrying. BUT. The Silurians look far too human. Reptiles, as has been mentioned, do not have mammary glands. And 'homo reptilia'? That's scientific nonsense. 'Homo' refers to us and our ancestors within a specific date range-it cannot apply to reptiles from 365 million years ago!
No offence to you in particular, but this is a show about a bloke from another planet who travels in time & space in a blue box, who can change his appearance if his body dies and yet some people are worried about lizards having tits!!!
Just enjoy it for what it is, a fantasy programme!! ;)
Kafka

tony ingram wrote:
Kamelion wrote:Absolute dross, blatant 'Warriors of the Deep' and 'The Sea Devils', 'Silurians' rip off.
"Let's reclaim our planet from the primitive apes" (yawn) I hope Johnny Byrne has been paid sufficient royalties for use of his scripts.
Matt Smith is totally unlikeable in the role and I am finding it increasing difficult to care about his predicament which I cannot say for ANY of the other Doctors. Colin Baker was arrogant in the part as is Smith but at least Colin was amusing and you could forgive him anything. I fear the eleventh incarnation is the weakest of all.
People only say things like "He's the best Doctor ever!" because He is the current one, basis of which is biased performance
Nope, I hated Tennant when he was 'the current one'. I'm enjoying Smith because his Doctor is a massive improvement.
What Tony Ingram said.
8/10 for me. Aside from the obvious comparisons with the current story, anyone else picking up a general feeling of Pertwee-ism about this season in general? Not that it's a bad thing...
Dave Ross

Yes and you're right it is a good thing. The stories are quieter and more plot driven rather than just character. I find it's quieter and less flashy but no less interesting to watch. It's different. Geez for a show that changes so much some fans find change hard to deal with.
Today, the Kaled race is ended, consumed in a fire of war, but, from it's ashes will rise a new race. The supreme creature. The ultimate conqueror of the universe - the Dalek!
Larry

on first viewing I gave this a 7/10 but now I rate it at 8/10, clearly a build up episode that was setting things up nicely for part 2 - loved the new look silurians.
Nobbend

tony ingram wrote:Great story, suspenseful, good performances from the regulars and the guest cast and Amy's predicament is suitably worrying. BUT. The Silurians look far too human. Reptiles, as has been mentioned, do not have mammary glands. And 'homo reptilia'? That's scientific nonsense. 'Homo' refers to us and our ancestors within a specific date range-it cannot apply to reptiles from 365 million years ago!

'Homo' from the latin means 'human being' or 'man'. 'Homo reptilian' is arguably 'Man reptile' or 'Human being reptile'. I'd have thought that 'Reptilia Sapien' would have been more descriptive although probably not grammatically accurate. I'm no Latin scholar,.

I wouldn't get too bogged down by dates, since man didn't evolve Latin until well after he evolved into man.

And as one of the people to mention the boobs, I'm happy to accept that since we see the Silurians in armour that the bumps are part of it- or Etheric Beam locators (cf Curse of Fatal Death by one Stephen Moffat)
Kajaboy

I gave it a 6. I would have given it more but the new Silurians let it down for me.

Where is the 3rd eye? Why do they have human faces? If you change something that much can you call them something else please.
My next door neighbour mixed up her KY jelly with the superglue. I asked her how she managed that but her lips are sealed.
NoSoul

8.5 out of 10, I thought it was a nice good old-fashioned Who story, though The Moff still hasn't figured out to make a cliffhanger that stings as well as RTD did.
"Hi, I'm Troy McClure. You may remember me from such spin-offs as Son of Sanford and Son, and AfterMannix."
Nobbend

Kajaboy wrote:I gave it a 6. I would have given it more but the new Silurians let it down for me.

Where is the 3rd eye? Why do they have human faces? If you change something that much can you call them something else please.
As The Doctor pointed out, he met another branch of the species before. So far he has encountered 5 different sub-species. The mis-named (by Dr Quinn) Silurians in The Silurians, the (misnamed by a maintenance man) Sea Devils in The Sea Devils, the (self calling) Silurians in Warriors of the Deep- similar but different to those in The Silurians as their third eye was not a tool/weapon, the dark skinned flat finned armour wearing Sea Devils in the same story, now this mob in The Hungry Earth.

5 different specials of Homo Reptilia (or Reptilia Sapien which is MY idea).

You may have noticed minor differences between people. Colour of skin, eyes, texture of hair, shape of nose, height, etc. Would you refuse to believe that Sarah Jessica Parker and Jane Horrocks aren't the same species because SJP has a huge nose?

And if we're talking about design change... the Cybermen changed at every appearance between 1966 and 1989. Some changes were more subtle than others or course
greystone

Nobbend wrote:
Kajaboy wrote:I gave it a 6. I would have given it more but the new Silurians let it down for me.

As The Doctor pointed out, he met another branch of the species before. So far he has encountered 5 different sub-species. The mis-named (by Dr Quinn) Silurians in The Silurians, the (misnamed by a maintenance man) Sea Devils in The Sea Devils, the (self calling) Silurians in Warriors of the Deep- similar but different to those in The Silurians as their third eye was not a tool/weapon, the dark skinned flat finned armour wearing Sea Devils in the same story, now this mob in The Hungry Earth.

5 different specials of Homo Reptilia (or Reptilia Sapien which is MY idea).

You may have noticed minor differences between people. Colour of skin, eyes, texture of hair, shape of nose, height, etc. Would you refuse to believe that Sarah Jessica Parker and Jane Horrocks aren't the same species because SJP has a huge nose?

And if we're talking about design change... the Cybermen changed at every appearance between 1966 and 1989. Some changes were more subtle than others or course
The Cybermen are machine creatures, how is that relevant? They just add new bits to themselves.
Dave Ross

The Cybermen are a bad example to use to make his point but it's essentially right. Not all humans look the same so why should all Silurians? The Doctor said in the episode that there are different tribes implying they don't all look the same.

They look a lot better now than they did in Warriors of the Deep :?
Today, the Kaled race is ended, consumed in a fire of war, but, from it's ashes will rise a new race. The supreme creature. The ultimate conqueror of the universe - the Dalek!
thesixties

For me this was the best episode of the current season so far.Reminiscent of old school Who and paced very much pre-computer generation.Old farts like me will have loved this while the playstation junkies simply won't get it.
Roll on next week.
9/10 .Superb.
ianj
The Dominator
The Dominator

Yes, silly politically-correct female restyled versions. Why call them Silurians?? Im dreading the cybermen restyling....................................daleks, silurians, cybermen.....all changed, in an "exciting, cute, fun way for the new series!!!!"...................................

WHY?.ianj
toxicspurge

I agree, it should have been Reptilica Sapien.

Taxonomy goes

Kingdom
Phylum
Class
Order
Family
Genus
Species.

Homo Reptilica would imply the Silurians are in the same genus we are. You'd never have two species separated by such major biological differences as cold-blooded v warm-blooded as members of the same genus.

A Genus of Reptilica could be it's own genus in a separate Class.

Generally speaking, all life eventually trace it's origins back to the same place (whether you believe that's complex chains of amino acids in the ocean or life-seeded from another planet). Thus, you could have Reptilicus Sapien be from a different class of organisms and still be a branch off of humanity, just as technically (if very, very distally), insects and humanity trace back to a branch.

It's a very minor point though. It's not enough to reduce the episode from a 10/10 for me.
toxicspurge

As an aside, in school, in the US, we're taught to remember basic taxonomy by the first letters of the saying

"King Phillip Came Over From Great Spain" for

"Kingdom Phylum Class Order Family Genus Species.

Are British kids taught the same mnemonic?
Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner

thesixties wrote:For me this was the best episode of the current season so far.Reminiscent of old school Who and paced very much pre-computer generation.Old farts like me will have loved this while the playstation junkies simply won't get it.
Roll on next week.
9/10 .Superb.
Quoted for truth.
The best chance for achieving peace and prosperity, for the maximum number of people worldwide, is to pursue the cause of liberty.

If you find this to be a worthwhile message, spread it throughout the land.
markhuk
Styles Moderator
Styles Moderator

Robert Watkins wrote:
ianj wrote:

Yes, silly politically-correct female restyled versions. Why call them Silurians?? Im dreading the cybermen restyling....................................daleks, silurians, cybermen.....all changed, in an "exciting, cute, fun way for the new series!!!!"...................................

WHY?.ianj
Money, so the beeb can sell more Doctor Who Bubble Bath at Christmas! Thats why!
Personally I disagree

The Daleks were changed to differentiate them from the ones that were wiped out at the end of every story - the new ones are bigger and the implication is that unlike their littler knock offs they arent going to be so easy to beat - wether you like them or not is another matter - personally I do

The Cybermen - were changed because the previous ones were too obviously blokes in suits

The Silurians were changed because the last ones to appear were sh*t, as to the third eye yeah I'd rather have seen it but as there are millions of diffeent species of reptile I can accept this as a sub catagory without it.
In all honesty they look like a cross between Silurians and Sea Devils to me
Tomo-1983

6/10. The Silurian design is awful - just look like humans with green blobs on. If they made the eyes more like the original Silurians then that would have been an improvement. Rory continues to be a waste of time. The sooner he is bumped off the better. Matt Smith is carrying the show at the minute.
abominable snowman

Tomo-1983 wrote:6/10. The Silurian design is awful - just look like humans with green blobs on. If they made the eyes more like the original Silurians then that would have been an improvement. Rory continues to be a waste of time. The sooner he is bumped off the better. Matt Smith is carrying the show at the minute.
The eyes, teeth and voice do make them seem too human.
Kamelion

greystone wrote:
Hmm, you need to see a shrink, or a Dr, try Matt Smith :lol:
Ooops I seem to have soiled my undergarments with hilarity....(!)
"..and who knows when it will end..."

Return to “SERIES 5”

• Information