6%
4%
2%
1%
3%

Total votes: 143
chap with wings

Rate tonights episode, thoughts and opinions are welcome as always
"It can become a kind of franchise where it's not a real character at all, but just an amalgam of elements that people think are Doctor Who: a scarf, a bow tie... I wanted to be the actual Doctor Who." - Peter Capaldi

Follow me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/BlogFinish

My Big Finish Review Archive is here - http://blogfinishplanetmondas.blogspot.co.uk/
toxicspurge

Not sure 5 rounds rapid is going to save us tonight!
abominable snowman

I can't wait tonight is going to be epic!
Arcturus

Sorry nowhere near as good as last week. Very disappointing.
abominable snowman

Not my cup of tea. I found it rather slow and dull, my kids weren't gripped either. 6/10.
xylok b

Now thats more like it, just what i've been waiting for all series, it feels more like a show for kids and adults alike, moral dilemas left right and centre the "evil" human, the Elder of the Silurians was by far the best of the non regulars, it felt a bit like an episode of Star Trek in a good way, when hey have the ambassadors around a table negotiating, the Silurians do deserve to live on Earth again, it's so sad though that most humans and Silurians can't see eye to eye, yet some are magnificant. Brilliant, for once the boundaries of good and evil are blurred, just as they were in the origianal Silurian story, it's exactly how it should have been 10 /10 !!!! :D
Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner

They've killed Rory!!!! :(
The best chance for achieving peace and prosperity, for the maximum number of people worldwide, is to pursue the cause of liberty.

If you find this to be a worthwhile message, spread it throughout the land.
Dobey Kweeg

Arcturus wrote:Sorry nowhere near as good as last week. Very disappointing.

I agree, and i wasnt that sold on last weeks - it went wrong for me in all kinds of ways, including ways that are clearly part of the arc - the end should have had a massive impact, but the RTDness of this ep had really drained me of enthusiasm, so by the time we got there, it all seemed clogged up in the rest of the episodes messiness - plus there was the whole "dont touch that light" straght after sticking his hand in the damned thing going on!

I thought the Silurians here came across as much less human, or at least less subtle than in their debut. We had silly ranting Warmongers (The imbecilic "The life of David Gale" sprung to mind with the way they had to force the moral dilemma) and kindly old 'men'.

Oh well, mebbe it'll all come clean in the wash.
greystone

Hmmm, not so sure about that, prefered the first part. A very lose retread of The Silurians' not quite as good.

I didn't feel the emotion that I should have when Rory died. I liked Rory. They did well to keep that under wraps though.

Bland, is that the word I am looking for? A bland retread of 'The Silurians'. Something missing...

The Silurians looked too much like the Jem Hadar for my liking. I think they got this one wrong. The masked Silurians looked far more convincing.

It was quite a good concept that sadly showed how superior the original 'Silurians' was, and by the same token original 'Who' was.

5 / 10

On reflection, I think the main problem with 'Who' under Davis and Moffet, is the Doctor is up his own arse. This, in my opinnion started with Cartmel, a man who did more damage to the series than can ever be forgiven. This suited Tennant completely but doesn't work for Matt Smith. Or rather, is not the way to go with Smith.
Prisoner Zero

Amy seems to be getting more shouty and repetitive every week. Hopefully she'll vanish up her own crack soon :roll:
Larry

big improvant on last weeks episode, however it did feel like one of those old pertwee, 7 parters condenced into 2 parts and I did even think that this could so easely have been a 3 parter. I can understand what some posters over on G.B are saying that the episode lacked some thing there just wasn't enough tension in the episode and the negotiations were agreed far to quickly. Perhaps the thing this 2 parter needed to make it an epic was for the talks to fail and a full scale battle against the humans. Also felt the naration spoilt things in that we knew that the Silurians were going to survive and made the soloution at the end to just "fumigate" to send the Silurians back to sleep far to easy.

As for Rory,well they did well to keep that a secret I nearly fell off my chair when he died as it was totally unexpected and made even more heartfelt by some great acting by Karen
Kublai Khan

It struck every wrong note but worse than that it was boring. They put all the exciting moments in the trailer which left the viewer with 40 minutes of blah blah blah and running through corridors. I was expecting better after last week and the trailer being really good. We're halfway through and it's getting less exciting rather than more :(
THE DALEK SUPREME

I liked it, but it's a pity that Chibnall didn't do somethng new, instead of recycling Silurians and Warriors.

I was expecting more complexity in the Silurian characters, in the end they were all sterotypes, supposedly mirroring their human counterparts. Would the head Silurian really just seal up his people again for 1000 years as easily as that. It was implausible and contrived. When will Cardiff learn to stop using Chibnall and get some fresh talent in?

It wasn't terrible it just wasn't very memorable.

Where has all the money gone this year, it looks really cheap. The explosion at the end of Daemons was more realistic than that :?

7/10.
Dave Ross

It was an interesting episode in as much as it didn't go where I thought it would at all, in more words somewhere new. There was nothing about it that I can say was special or extraordinary it was pretty much the same story as Silurians and Warriors repackaged. That's ok for the new viewers but for the fans, we've seen it all before. This is Moffat's first year in charge, surely this isn't the kind of reheated crap he's dreamed of making all these years?

6/10.
Today, the Kaled race is ended, consumed in a fire of war, but, from it's ashes will rise a new race. The supreme creature. The ultimate conqueror of the universe - the Dalek!
The Nimon

8/10, Slow start but picked up near the end. Poor Rory, I liked him, hope he comes back in the end of the season. And what about the bit from the crack, WOW can't wait to see how this pans out :K-9:
The Judge Judy of Planet Mondax
Solon

I enjoyed it but it lacked originality. I'm left with the same feeling I had after Warriors of the Deep that it could have been so much better.

Where did it go wrong? It started to go wrong when Chris Chinball decided to rip off Silurians. The stories are very similar, something above ground disturbing the Silurians from their hibernation. One of them being left above ground. The Doctor trying to negotiate with them. The humans letting the side down. Failure and an explosion.

It was a bit pedestrian until the final five minutes when Rory was bumped off - didn't see that coming!
aggedor

The Nimon wrote:8/10, Slow start but picked up near the end. Poor Rory, I liked him, hope he comes back in the end of the season. And what about the bit from the crack, WOW can't wait to see how this pans out :K-9:
I thought the last five minutes was the best part of the episode too but what about the preceding 40 minutes which was spent treading over old ground from forty years ago.

I thought the same thing about the Silurian scientist. One minute an evil human-dissecting monster, the next bumbling likeable peace-loving scientist who can't wait to open peace negotiations - WTF!

Inconsistent derivative nonsense.

6/10.
image45
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

I found it rather good, even though you new the Doctor once again would try and get the Silurians and Humans to work together while one would end up messing it up with war and fighting against the other.

At least the Brig was not around to blow them all up!!!!
O-Ren Ishii: You didn't think it was gonna be that easy, did you?
The Bride: You know, for a second there, yeah, I kinda did.
O-Ren Ishii: Silly rabbit.
Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner

I give it 8/10.

Yes it was treading over old ground in many ways but it was far superior in terms of characterisation to dross like Warriors of the Deep.

Don't the Silurians come back for the finale? If so maybe that will give Moffat the chance to expand their repertoire.

I still can't believe they killed off Rory :o
The best chance for achieving peace and prosperity, for the maximum number of people worldwide, is to pursue the cause of liberty.

If you find this to be a worthwhile message, spread it throughout the land.
Zarius

It was a nice channeling of various styles I feel, Malcom Hulked in particular was all over this story, the ordinary family with basic human needs like companionship and revenge was played subtley and superbly by the actors, and The Doctor played an armchair role

Rory dying was sad, sudden, and perfectly well-timed, it also allowed the crack to be given more of a lethal comeback, very "Dalek Masterplan" too. I recall Moffat hates "Wesleys", and perhaps didnt like Rory himself because of being TOO normal, but I loved the character...wait, am I SUPPOSED to be remembering him? ROFL, of course I will...loved the added touch with Amy waving alone...does that mean she never finds anyone again after The Doctor? Jeez...

Kind of miffed the ending won't really amount to much, we know of another season AND RTD's upcoming stint with Smith, which, hell, might even be WHY Moffat is aiming to make this as grand a DW season as possible

Return to “SERIES 5”

• Information