6%
4%
2%
1%
3%

Total votes: 143
THE DALEK SUPREME

Dobey Kweeg wrote:
THE DALEK SUPREME wrote:She was chained up and handcuffed so I don't think she was going anywhere.

Maybe not! I think my main problem was the way the dialogue kept signposting Sally Silurians death - both from the Doctor and Sally herself. A lot of "don't go into the attic" style bits that made it sure what was going to happen. It'd ahve been a nice twist of fate if it had been kept less obvious.

One other aspect - is the Doctor a hostage taking sorta guy? It did feel slightly weird, though I kind of went with it, but anyone think it was a bit of an undoctory thing to do in the first place?
Yes Sally's death (Sally!) was heavily signposted but it was a bit like a Whodunnit trying to work out which of the humans was going to bump her off. I thought it was going to be Tony Mack as the infection took him over and made him more aggressive. Of course it turned out to be Ambrosia Devon-Custard who finally flipped out after years of having the p*ss taken out of her for being named after a dessert.
WHOis007?

Can we just NOT hire Chris Chibnall ever again?

Please oh pretty please?

What the bloody hell hold does he have over Cardiff that they can't just stop using his incompetent ass? Is this like Pip and Jane Baker redux?
"Beat you, cock."

Oh Tom. You and your double entendres.
tony ingram

THE DALEK SUPREME wrote:
Dobey Kweeg wrote:
THE DALEK SUPREME wrote:She was chained up and handcuffed so I don't think she was going anywhere.

Maybe not! I think my main problem was the way the dialogue kept signposting Sally Silurians death - both from the Doctor and Sally herself. A lot of "don't go into the attic" style bits that made it sure what was going to happen. It'd ahve been a nice twist of fate if it had been kept less obvious.

One other aspect - is the Doctor a hostage taking sorta guy? It did feel slightly weird, though I kind of went with it, but anyone think it was a bit of an undoctory thing to do in the first place?
Yes Sally's death (Sally!) was heavily signposted but it was a bit like a Whodunnit trying to work out which of the humans was going to bump her off. I thought it was going to be Tony Mack as the infection took him over and made him more aggressive. Of course it turned out to be Ambrosia Devon-Custard who finally flipped out after years of having the p*ss taken out of her for being named after a dessert.
Now that's not fair! Ambrose is a fairly common name in some parts of the country.

Of course, it's a fairly common man's name, but never mind...
Kublai Khan

WHOis007? wrote:Can we just NOT hire Chris Chibnall ever again?

Please oh pretty please?

What the bloody hell hold does he have over Cardiff that they can't just stop using his incompetent ass? Is this like Pip and Jane Baker redux?
They keep asking Chris Chibnall, Gareth Roberts, Helen Raynor and Mark Gatiss back but not writers like Paul Cornell and Rob Shearman?
chap with wings

Cornell is big buddies with Moffat, I am really surprised he has not been comissioned.
"It can become a kind of franchise where it's not a real character at all, but just an amalgam of elements that people think are Doctor Who: a scarf, a bow tie... I wanted to be the actual Doctor Who." - Peter Capaldi

Follow me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/BlogFinish

My Big Finish Review Archive is here - http://blogfinishplanetmondas.blogspot.co.uk/
robbo13

Have you ever thought that some writers (ie the good ones) will want a bigger payout than the run of the mill writers? Could have alot to do with how often certain writers get asked.
chap with wings

Finally seen this 2 parter, well, the first 20 minutes or so of part 1 were very good, and FINALLY, Smith had his moment where he became the Doctor, a very simple scene where he was talking to the little boy about leaving the city, I welled up, and he wasnt just some actor saying lines any more, he was The Doctor.

Now for the rest of it, boring, nasty, one dimensional, not very good at all, shame as the first 20 minutes were very promising, oh and Meera Syal would be a great companion.

Overall 3/10 simply for Smith feeling like The Doctor
"It can become a kind of franchise where it's not a real character at all, but just an amalgam of elements that people think are Doctor Who: a scarf, a bow tie... I wanted to be the actual Doctor Who." - Peter Capaldi

Follow me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/BlogFinish

My Big Finish Review Archive is here - http://blogfinishplanetmondas.blogspot.co.uk/
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

chap with wings wrote:Finally seen this 2 parter, well, the first 20 minutes or so of part 1 were very good, and FINALLY, Smith had his moment where he became the Doctor, a very simple scene where he was talking to the little boy about leaving the city, I welled up, and he wasnt just some actor saying lines any more, he was The Doctor.

Now for the rest of it, boring, nasty, one dimensional, not very good at all, shame as the first 20 minutes were very promising, oh and Meera Syal would be a great companion.

Overall 3/10 simply for Smith feeling like The Doctor
I thought the first part was good apart from the Silurian makeup and the weird way they kept switching from just beneath the surface to 21 miles down - and who was robbing the graves again, and why? But then in part 2 it just fell into a horrible mess that reminded me yet again why I think Chibnall's an inept writer. We had a plot, and a pace, and an emotional tone, and characters that were all over the place. The only bit that had an emotional impact was what happened to Rory, which I assume was added as part of the "series arc" and hence doesn't really count.

But apart from that . . . well, let's start, as Mary Poppins or someone once said, at the very beginning. The original story, "The Silurians", was brilliant. It had layers of emotional and moral complexity that Russell T. Davies would eat his heart out to achieve (speaking of which, see next week's episode...but I digress). It had a shocking climax. After that, however, things didn't go so well in the remake department, but nowadays we can do so much better, with the CGI and of course the ability to put in those emotional nuances that RTD was so fond of talking about back in 2005, and so bad at actually doing.

Right?

Well, as it turns out - no. At least not this time around. This was a steaming heap of Chibnalls, as the slang goes (you haven't heard that one? Never mind, I'm sure you get the idea, and if not a glance at "Day One" and "Cyberwoman" should complete the picture). This story was so awful that I'm not sure I have the energy to pull it apart, but just consider a few points - the "sympathetic scientist" character who practices a bit of vivisection on the side - the Silurian Elder vs the Nasty Army Women Silurians (with breasts - these are reptiles, right?) for the "subtle moral overtones" - the emergency alert sirens that sound identical to the ones used on the USS Enterprise (how imaginative is that?) - Elliot slipping out at the last moment to find his headphones, he's dyslexic, not a complete moron - Amy somehow picking the Silurian Doctor's pocket despite her hands being clamped down - the weird back and forth nature of the behaviour of the humans left on the surface towards their captive (dissect her - let her go, in return for a cure - zap her despite your son being a hostage - all delightfully random. At least Ayala(?)'s character, such as it is, stays consistent). Or the pointless voiceover. Or the wonderful "set your alarm clock for 1,000 years' time" plan - yeah, good idea, they've waited 300 million years or so, a few million more would make more sense, surely? At which point the humans might have global warmed or nuked themselves out of existence, or evolved into seals, or left for the stars. And anyway what are the chances the humans will be back in a few years, possibly with nukes this time?

That's just a few points. I'm sure with a bit of work I could dig up a lot more examples of complete idiocy in this story, which seems to have almost been thrown together at random.

I gave it 4/10, but I'm not sure why now. I gave the first part 8/10 because it seemed to be a good story revving up, aside from a few caveats - but sadly the second part hit the wall, crashed, burned, and turned pear shaped in a manner not seen since the reveal scene in "Victory of the Daleks".
toxicspurge

I had a response all typed out about how the two-parters just haven't been working, especially in the second half, but I thought it deserved its own thread, so there you are.
'teleportNOW!'

re-watched this again...

it had so good-ish aspects, but overall was nowhere near as satisfying as part 1...
it comes across more like a promising first draft, but vast amounts of the resolution simply involve the Doctor waving his magic sonic screwdriver at things, and everything is far too rushed, blowing credibility out of the water.

Also, Rory dies again... this is just the second time, I think? :floorroll:
Kajaboy

Kajaboy wrote:
image45 wrote:
Kajaboy wrote:I also feel they killed wrong companion. ie: The one that can act.
Yes a good few are giving Karen a bad time about her acting skills. In reallly life you do get people who project a wooden persona :|
Wooden!!! Her bum is stamped MFI.
Just re-reading a lot of my posts on S5 thanks to Feline. Did I actually write most of this? I'm such a BITCH. Although I stand by everything I said. :lol:
My next door neighbour mixed up her KY jelly with the superglue. I asked her how she managed that but her lips are sealed.
'teleportNOW!'

I looked to re-read my old comments, but they seem to be on the Ian Levine board instead (I could never keep track of which was which).

Basically I am enjoying Matt Smith's first season - I really like his portrayal of the Doctor.
The stories/episodes themselves range from great to meh... easily the worst are the more formulaic involving-old-monsters stories (particularly the dumbass dalek one) which seem to basically be trying to do old-style classic-who story telling, only shoehorned into 45 minutes, and all the plot and sense replaced by a Murry Gold flourish and a magic sonic screwdriver. It doesn't work very well!
Cygnus Prime
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

chap with wings wrote:Rate tonights episode, thoughts and opinions are welcome as always

The Doctor and Nasreen Chaudry go deep underground and find an ancient society that has been disturbed by the drilling. They are gassed and taken prisoner just as Amy manages to free herself. The military commander of the underground reptilians, Restac, is convinced that the "apes' - their term for humans - are an invading force.

Return to “SERIES 5”

• Information