5%
6%
4%
2%
1%
3%

Total votes: 143
Nobbend

A much more tense episode than last week.

I'm a amazed a Paranoid Android can become leader of a race of reptiles
toxicspurge

Tony's quite right. You'd expect the initial market share to go down as a smaller percentage of people are watching it at the time of airing and are picking it up later. Fewer people are watching the other shows in general at the same time as the weather improves as well, but they AREN'T picking them up later to the same degree as they are Doctor Who.

Bottom line: You expect Sat evening Doctor Who viewing figures to go down. You expect the market share on Sat evening to go down, but overall market share will not.

Nothing at all of substance can be concluded until we've seen the final totals and market shares.

I've seen no evidence to date to suggest Doctor Who's in trouble based on viewing figures.
Tomo-1983

The pointless Rory is dead. RESULT! Should have happened 2 weeks ago.
Kajaboy

tony ingram wrote: All that is happening is that the overnights are becoming increasingly irrelevant to the final figures as more people take advantage of the repeat, Sky+ or iplayer rather than rushing home for the initial transmission. Last night's figures were higher than last week's, anyway!
I should just point out that a lot of these things were not used to judge the final ratings during most, if not all, the RTD era. DWM pointed out many times that if they were the ratings would be a lot higher on many of the later epsiodes.
My next door neighbour mixed up her KY jelly with the superglue. I asked her how she managed that but her lips are sealed.
greystone

Mike Nuttall wrote:
Dave Ross wrote: Something has gone badly wrong with this series. The BBC needs to fire Piers Wenger, Beth Willis and probably Steven Moffat and get a new production team in, or at least put a rocket under them to force them out of their comfort zone.
This is without a doubt the biggest pile of steaming horse manure I have ever seen on the internet. I'm beginning to wonder why I bother to keep this place open!!!!
Now, now Mike, this isn't Dr Who MOnthly you know, it doesn't do for everybody to toe the party line. I enjoy this forum for the diversity of opinnion.
greystone

Kajaboy wrote:
image45 wrote:
Kajaboy wrote:A 2 and I'm being kind. Utterly hideous. I'm sure they are just making it up as they go along now. "We will remember them because we travel in time"............"Who's Rory??" :roll:
Did you really find it that bad?

Gosh I am worried now, would it have been better if RTD had scripted this one or had control of its content do you think?
I'm afraid I did. It's the lowest I have ever given to a story and I'm including the old series in that too.

I'm not sure that having RTD on this story would have helped at all to be honest. It was little more than a bad retread of the original Silurians story. I have said this almost every week but I would like something new. However you feel about the scripts of RTD he always did something new with the characters.

I also feel they killed wrong companion. ie: The one that can act.
Rubbish all RTD did was make vertually every character gay, what's new about that? It was the same with families, once, yes it's new, but every instance after it soon gets old, a bit like RTD's so called genius. NO, the best thing that man did for the series, series 1 aside, was leave.

I'm inclinded to agree that many of Moffet's decisions are questionable and I wish they would give Amy a character, but I'm prepared to hang in there...
image45
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

Kajaboy wrote:I also feel they killed wrong companion. ie: The one that can act.
Yes a good few are giving Karen a bad time about her acting skills. In reallly life you do get people who project a wooden persona :|
O-Ren Ishii: You didn't think it was gonna be that easy, did you?
The Bride: You know, for a second there, yeah, I kinda did.
O-Ren Ishii: Silly rabbit.
Kajaboy

greystone wrote: Rubbish all RTD did was make vertually every character gay, what's new about that? It was the same with families, once, yes it's new, but every instance after it soon gets old, a bit like RTD's so called genius. NO, the best thing that man did for the series, series 1 aside, was leave.

I'm inclinded to agree that many of Moffet's decisions are questionable and I wish they would give Amy a character, but I'm prepared to hang in there...
I can only think of a handful of characters that were gay and not all of them were written or added by RTD. As most people see at least one gay person a day in their every day life, if they know it or not, it stands to reason the Doctor was going to run into a few once in a while.

As for the families, each one was different. Looking back there were a few repeated storylines but they were done with some originality. I cared about what happened to each and everyone of them. A house could fall on Amy and I wouldn't care. She could be replaced with a cardboard cutout and no one would notice.

I did like Rory though and I was angry they killed him off.......but I didn't really care about him.
My next door neighbour mixed up her KY jelly with the superglue. I asked her how she managed that but her lips are sealed.
Kajaboy

image45 wrote:
Kajaboy wrote:I also feel they killed wrong companion. ie: The one that can act.
Yes a good few are giving Karen a bad time about her acting skills. In reallly life you do get people who project a wooden persona :|
Wooden!!! Her bum is stamped MFI.
tony ingram

image45 wrote:
Amy's persona isn't wooden: it's emotionally detached and rather flippant, which is a common defence mechanism for people who've grown up alone and feeling abandoned. It is actually very realistic.
image45
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

Tomo-1983 wrote:The pointless Rory is dead. RESULT! Should have happened 2 weeks ago.

Was he not your friend?

With him gone the need for Amy to return to get married is now removed you see!!!!!
Zenith

tony ingram wrote:
image45 wrote:
Amy's persona isn't wooden: it's emotionally detached and rather flippant, which is a common defence mechanism for people who've grown up alone and feeling abandoned. It is actually very realistic.
I think that's too charitable and apologetic. ;) I have been dissapointed with her as both actress and character but I think this umbarella arc with the Time-crack is not doing her or the show any favors, it's distorting the flow of the individual stories a little too much. Maybe as well this has been highlighted as so far the series has stuck closely to earth and her ability is being contrasted to the other characters around her, it's pretty bad when Meera Syall's guest turn is way way more impressive and fun than the regular companions.

Amy Pond just does not strike a chord or feel real in the way Rose, Mickey or Donna did.... :roll07:
image45
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

tony ingram wrote:
image45 wrote:
I am glad your happy, I have no issue with her but I know quite a few members are not 100% happy with the way her companion is working out.
The Nimon

image45 wrote:
I am glad your happy, I have no issue with her but I know quite a few members are not 100% happy with the way her companion is working out.
And I'm happy you're glad.
I've been on a few forums and both Amy and this new season seem to be splitting fandom down the centre. I see comments about Amy saying things such as 'She only comes out with bad oneliners' have people forgot Donna (Cathrine tate) all ready? To say Karnes acting is wooden, have paople forgot Marth Jones? I really loved Freema but she was wooden as hell in places, though I would have rather have kept her rather than who we got the next season. People seem to be ignoing these things and seem hell bent on just moaning about everything to do with this new season (No one here is that bad, see gallifrey Base). Personlly i'm really enjoying this new season (Though the moaning fan circles seem to be tarnashing that a bit), Amy is excellent and for a change has no baggage (I.e a Mum, Grandad ect..) That we have to go back to and see every week, and i'll defend it to the hilt. Its best to remember that this is a new season of a new production team, of course they're going to play it safe with the stories, RTD did with season one. With season 6 they'll know what works and what doesn't and my guess is, Just like season 2, we'll be in for a right cracker of a season
The Judge Judy of Planet Mondax
markhuk

It absolutely staggers me - fandom really is full of people who cant see past the end of their own noses.
Weve got a successful series on at the moment with probably the most instantly accepted Doctor since Tom Baker and the most consistant run of episodes since the Hinchcliffe era and still there are people moaning.
Yeah I can understand it if certain episodes arent to everyones taste but some of the complaints you get on here, and indeed other forums, are just bloody rediculous.

Last nights episode was a gem, well acted well made - yeas a little derirative but only to long term fans - do you honestly think that Joe Public remembers the Silurians ? Theres not one long running series, S F or otherwise, that doesnt plunder its own back catalogue for storylines.

For those that cant connect with the characers well Im sorry but that says a lot more for you thatn it does the writing and acting.

In all honesty when i read some of the comments ive seen on these forums it makes me wonder why i bother with fandom at all and it makes me wonder why such talented people bother to make these programs when all they get is
stupid comments from the so called fans.

respond or dont I'm past caring and wont be reading anyway.
robbo13

markhuk wrote:It absolutely staggers me - fandom really is full of people who cant see past the end of their own noses.
Weve got a successful series on at the moment with probably the most instantly accepted Doctor since Tom Baker and the most consistant run of episodes since the Hinchcliffe era and still there are people moaning.
Yeah I can understand it if certain episodes arent to everyones taste but some of the complaints you get on here, and indeed other forums, are just bloody rediculous.

Last nights episode was a gem, well acted well made - yeas a little derirative but only to long term fans - do you honestly think that Joe Public remembers the Silurians ? Theres not one long running series, S F or otherwise, that doesnt plunder its own back catalogue for storylines.

For those that cant connect with the characers well Im sorry but that says a lot more for you thatn it does the writing and acting.

In all honesty when i read some of the comments ive seen on these forums it makes me wonder why i bother with fandom at all and it makes me wonder why such talented people bother to make these programs when all they get is

Best comment on here for a long time!!!!

What pisses me off is when there are changes made to aspects of the show (ie Tardis, Dalek, Silurians etc etc) and people moan on like its the end of the world and how it spoils the show. Trekkies managed to accept the totally revamped Klingons well enough, so if they can manage that then why cant some accept the changes to Who?
Dobey Kweeg

robbo13 wrote:
markhuk wrote: respond or dont I'm past caring and wont be reading anyway.

Best comment on here for a long time!!!!

What pisses me off is when there are changes made to aspects of the show (ie Tardis, Dalek, Silurians etc etc) and people moan on like its the end of the world and how it spoils the show. Trekkies managed to accept the totally revamped Klingons well enough, so if they can manage that then why cant some accept the changes to Who?

Maybe not the best example - they changed the Klingons so they looked like an embarassing old fashioned "man with a different coloured face" alien... here we have them reversing the same process! :)
Kajaboy

markhuk wrote:It absolutely staggers me - fandom really is full of people who cant see past the end of their own noses.

Over the past few weeks I have been to a number of boot sales and whenever I buy anything Doctor Who related I get into the same conversation:
"Are you a fan? I don't like this new series at all. My husband/kids make me watch it. It's boring....etc, etc...."

My dad who has been watching since day one, I worked out he would have been 18 when An Unearthly Child was broadcast, said to me "I keep falling asleep during this new series. Maybe it's something they put in the rubbish music at the start".

It's fine to plunder your own back catalouge once or twice but not every week. There hasn't been one single original idea all season. Song of the Space Whale, Power of the Daleks, The Silurians, and various SJA stories have all been plundered not to mention various RTD era stories.
Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner

greystone wrote:
Mike Nuttall wrote:
Dave Ross wrote: Something has gone badly wrong with this series. The BBC needs to fire Piers Wenger, Beth Willis and probably Steven Moffat and get a new production team in, or at least put a rocket under them to force them out of their comfort zone.
This is without a doubt the biggest pile of steaming horse manure I have ever seen on the internet. I'm beginning to wonder why I bother to keep this place open!!!!
Now, now Mike, this isn't Dr Who MOnthly you know, it doesn't do for everybody to toe the party line. I enjoy this forum for the diversity of opinnion.
Mmm, yes... I'm beginning to sound like someone I used to know :shock:
The best chance for achieving peace and prosperity, for the maximum number of people worldwide, is to pursue the cause of liberty.

If you find this to be a worthwhile message, spread it throughout the land.
Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner

Well said that man!
The best chance for achieving peace and prosperity, for the maximum number of people worldwide, is to pursue the cause of liberty.

If you find this to be a worthwhile message, spread it throughout the land.

Return to “SERIES 5”

• Information