6%
4%
2%
1%
3%

Total votes: 143
greystone

Kajaboy wrote:
greystone wrote: Rubbish all RTD did was make vertually every character gay, what's new about that? It was the same with families, once, yes it's new, but every instance after it soon gets old, a bit like RTD's so called genius. NO, the best thing that man did for the series, series 1 aside, was leave.

I'm inclinded to agree that many of Moffet's decisions are questionable and I wish they would give Amy a character, but I'm prepared to hang in there...
I can only think of a handful of characters that were gay and not all of them were written or added by RTD. As most people see at least one gay person a day in their every day life, if they know it or not, it stands to reason the Doctor was going to run into a few once in a while.

As for the families, each one was different. Looking back there were a few repeated storylines but they were done with some originality. I cared about what happened to each and everyone of them. A house could fall on Amy and I wouldn't care. She could be replaced with a cardboard cutout and no one would notice.

I did like Rory though and I was angry they killed him off.......but I didn't really care about him.

Fair comment, but I stand by what I say.
Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner

Did anyone catch this on Confidential, it's the original concept design for the Silurians.

The episode scored an AI of 85 which puts it into the 'excellant' category.
The best chance for achieving peace and prosperity, for the maximum number of people worldwide, is to pursue the cause of liberty.

If you find this to be a worthwhile message, spread it throughout the land.
Dobey Kweeg

Thats a great Silurian there... why they felt the need to show so much human face on them is anohter poor design choice this season in my opinion. It didnt add anything, except maybe excentuating the corny and over the top dialogue that we had. Maybe a mask might have put a different spin on it all and made it all less melodramatic... not likely thoughm, as the script had enough melodrama to go round.

Shame, as the basic concept for this was fine, but I really truly hate the RTD signposting that happens here - the whole "one of you will kill me" stuff from part 1 made the decent enough dramatic device of them actually doing it seem forced and clunky. So many little things and not so little things conspired againt this. The aforementioned hokey sci-fi dialogue straight out of star trek couple with straight out of star trek masks. The 3 locals running worlds largest mining project as if it was some kind of weird hobby. Meera Syals acting. The sub-Whedon smart arse dialogue, especially when given to Amy really made truth of eh lie of her being annoying. The way said dialogue compounded the cliches dialogue from teh silurians rahter than alleviated it. The steretypically evil bitch Silurians and kindly old gentlemen silurians that seemed to come straight out of Dungeons adn dragons cartoon - compared with their debut, the Silurians seemd less real and spectacularly, less human in their black and whiteness. The waythe Doctor can stick his hand in teh light (on a whim, but bizarrely with incredible results), but seconds later, you have to avoid the light. The concept of people being written out of the timeline is fun for other characters, but when applied to a main one, really raises a lot of questions that I imagine are really going to get a big RTD style brushoff (but I remain willing to be proved wrong by Moffatt). The resolution that puts the Silurians back in their boxes for 1000 years that was highly convenient and really, rested on kindly old silurian buying into the idea that sitting out a 1000 years while the apes destroy the sorld above and with knowledge of the Silurians sleeping below) would be good for Silurians...

Generally, much worse than I'd imagined following part 1. yuk. But, still a bump in the road, Im hanging on til th end and hoping this will all come out in the wash....
The Nimon

markhuk wrote:It absolutely staggers me - fandom really is full of people who cant see past the end of their own noses.
Weve got a successful series on at the moment with probably the most instantly accepted Doctor since Tom Baker and the most consistant run of episodes since the Hinchcliffe era and still there are people moaning.
Yeah I can understand it if certain episodes arent to everyones taste but some of the complaints you get on here, and indeed other forums, are just bloody rediculous.

Last nights episode was a gem, well acted well made - yeas a little derirative but only to long term fans - do you honestly think that Joe Public remembers the Silurians ? Theres not one long running series, S F or otherwise, that doesnt plunder its own back catalogue for storylines.

For those that cant connect with the characers well Im sorry but that says a lot more for you thatn it does the writing and acting.

In all honesty when i read some of the comments ive seen on these forums it makes me wonder why i bother with fandom at all and it makes me wonder why such talented people bother to make these programs when all they get is
stupid comments from the so called fans.

respond or dont I'm past caring and wont be reading anyway.
Didn't I just say something a bit like that above you :mrgreen:
The Judge Judy of Planet Mondax
WHOis007?

I was afraid this might happen with Moffatt taking over from RTD. RTD did a fantastic job selling himself as the sole reason the new show was any good with all his interviews, books and so forth. To be brief, he wrote the equation RTD = Doctor WHO.

Why is this a bad thing?

When the producer becomes bigger than the show itself, change becomes anathema. For if there no longer RTD, then by the equation he wrote for himself, there is no longer Dr. WHO.

I'm not necessarily surprised this has happened given the circumstances. RTD came in, breathed life into the old girl, gussied her up and made her the toast of the town and then made sure everyone knew HE did it all. Other than JNT (another man with three initials), I can't think of a single WHO producer who made himself (or herself as the late great Verity Lambert must be credited, too) that available in the public eye.

And now we're living with the consequences.

RTD-philes now look for ANYTHING which could be decried as weak in the new man's direction and post loudly about it.

NOW for something which may get me flamed but I think there's some merit to the idea. ON ALL OF THIS, DO CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG, I DO NOT PRETEND TO BE AN EXPERT! Doctor WHO has quite a fairly significant (and vocal) gay fandom (at least from what I've seen on the forums), yes? RTD produced one of the more significant gay shows in Queer as Folk. I might imagine that has also garnered him some vocal loyalty which otherwise he perhaps might not have received from WHO's gay fandom.

Anyway, it's just an idle thought.

Hopefully someday people will remember RTD does not equal WHO. There have been PLENTY of WHO producers in the past, there will be so in the future and all will bring their good and bad points to the party.
:4thDoctor:
"Beat you, cock."

Oh Tom. You and your double entendres.
Kajaboy

WHOis007? wrote: NOW for something which may get me flamed but I think there's some merit to the idea. ON ALL OF THIS, DO CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG, I DO NOT PRETEND TO BE AN EXPERT! Doctor WHO has quite a fairly significant (and vocal) gay fandom (at least from what I've seen on the forums), yes? RTD produced one of the more significant gay shows in Queer as Folk. I might imagine that has also garnered him some vocal loyalty which otherwise he perhaps might not have received from WHO's gay fandom.
Yes there are many of us here but to me QAF was a travesty that firmly put in the minds of straight people that all we are after is drugs, sex, sex and more sex and that we all have mental issues. I hated the show with a passion. The American version was much better and aside from the name and a few reworked storylines RTD had nothing to do with that.

That's just me tho, there might be others who are daft enough to be "Loyal" based on QAF regardless. After all many voted for the Conservatives because Cameron was the good looking one. :shock:
My next door neighbour mixed up her KY jelly with the superglue. I asked her how she managed that but her lips are sealed.
ianj
The Dominator
The Dominator

Not as good as last weeks, the music has come back again very intrusively, and it seemed rushed. An 8 from me, Im still hating the title and music sequence, very poor. Mat Smith excels as Doctor Who, and shows his character struggling with his relationship with us Humans. Could have ben first class, with the original facemask designs.ianj
ianj
The Dominator
The Dominator

Kajaboy wrote:
WHOis007? wrote: NOW for something which may get me flamed but I think there's some merit to the idea. ON ALL OF THIS, DO CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG, I DO NOT PRETEND TO BE AN EXPERT! Doctor WHO has quite a fairly significant (and vocal) gay fandom (at least from what I've seen on the forums), yes? RTD produced one of the more significant gay shows in Queer as Folk. I might imagine that has also garnered him some vocal loyalty which otherwise he perhaps might not have received from WHO's gay fandom.
Yes there are many of us here but to me QAF was a travesty that firmly put in the minds of straight people that all we are after is drugs, sex, sex and more sex and that we all have mental issues. I hated the show with a passion. The American version was much better and aside from the name and a few reworked storylines RTD had nothing to do with that.

That's just me tho, there might be others who are daft enough to be "Loyal" based on QAF regardless. After all many voted for the Conservatives because Cameron was the good looking one. :shock:

I agree; QAF was a bad example of gay tv to show in primetime for straight people to watch-it paints a very poor picture of us poofs.ianj
Zenith

I just watched it on BBC3 and it simply wasn't anywhere close to as bad as it's been dressed up to be. Yes there are problems with it but mostly in the design and somewhat flat direction, the script is actually quite good.
The moral themes underlining the story are well done, there is simply no way the episode can ever deliver on these ideas but it can & did do a credible job raising them, it's more realistic to say it is one of those occasions where the 45 minute format is a hinderance rather than blame the writer - he's just working within his alloted screentime.

There's a lot to like here with superb set design and the bare bones of an intriguing society, what undermines the potency is definitly the too human Silurians. Ironically while they historically may have been 'men in rubber suits' here they are just 'men in latex masks'... Too obviously human actors with all too human tics, eyes and worst of all teeth!
Theere is almost no sense of deep contrast here between humans and aliens as there was in the original Silurian stories but worst of all these Silurians are too generically sci-fi aliens you see churned out in American sc-fi. It could have almost been an episonde of star trek.
Still, the moral core of the story is what drives it and it actually works for the most part, Ambroses actions are indefensible but the fact she actually gets away with what she did by storys end is not a travesty in my view, it actually reinforces the unfairness of the world as the original series often did - not everything ends up how it ideally 'should' in life and while a lot of Cold Blood was very PC this was a neat twist that subverts that idealism.
As noted above there is a rather complex society glimpsed in the Silurian city, time and script necessity preclude any deeper exploration i accept that but we could still have done with a bit more elaboration on their political hierarchy to make what the Military guild did more understandable and less forced. The Warmongers seemed much too prevailant and accepted in their society, one wonders why Alaya & Restac were so predisposed for instigating a war when their society was actually very ill prepared to sustain one....

I think the ending was a good one even though, again, the Silurians are waaaayy too quick to accept Hibernation again. The scenes with Nasreen & Tony choosing to stay with the Silurians was a nice one and rang true, if this story doesn't have a direct sequel it will be no shame to be left pondering their fate as and when they wake up a thousand years hence.

Good story, I'd rate it very very well indeed as I think it is one of those that will actually stand up to a good deal of rewatching in the future, I do think it a shame however that it is made to link so heavily to the Umbarella arc instead of standing on its own merits, the time-crack stuff is becoming seriously annoying as it is too heavily handed and unsubtle. It sends the message that THAT is the real story and all this other stuff inbetween is just salad dressing. Season Arcs are okay by me but not when they are walking all over the stories inbetween as heavily as this...

:Brannigan:
Dobey Kweeg

Is there any reason why the trapped silurian doesnt sting more humans? Seems an easy way to escape - no one even mentions this dangerous ability after its first use (other than talking about its after effects) and wander in and out singly while the Silurian just sits there...
Zenith

Dobey Kweeg wrote:Is there any reason why the trapped silurian doesnt sting more humans? Seems an easy way to escape - no one even mentions this dangerous ability after its first use (other than talking about its after effects) and wander in and out singly while the Silurian just sits there...
I'm not sure. You do see it used again near the end of episode 2 as The Doctor and friends try backing out for an escape, I think maybe only certain Silurians have this ability,,,,,
greystone

Mike Nuttall wrote:Image

Did anyone catch this on Confidential, it's the original concept design for the Silurians.

Now that is beautiful, that would have made all the difference to the show. That is what I call a Silurian. And well spotted, because I missed it :shock:
greystone

WHOis007? wrote:

Hopefully someday people will remember RTD does not equal WHO.
Spot on.
Solon

Mike Nuttall wrote:Image

I wish they'd looked like that!
ianj
The Dominator
The Dominator

So do I !!ianj
WHOis007?

ianj wrote:
Kajaboy wrote:Yes there are many of us here but to me QAF was a travesty that firmly put in the minds of straight people that all we are after is drugs, sex, sex and more sex and that we all have mental issues. I hated the show with a passion. The American version was much better and aside from the name and a few reworked storylines RTD had nothing to do with that.

I agree; QAF was a bad example of gay tv to show in primetime for straight people to watch-it paints a very poor picture of us poofs.ianj
I did not know this was a belief any member of the gay community held. Very instructional! Thank you:)
"Beat you, cock."

Oh Tom. You and your double entendres.
THE DALEK SUPREME

Dobey Kweeg wrote:Is there any reason why the trapped silurian doesnt sting more humans? Seems an easy way to escape - no one even mentions this dangerous ability after its first use (other than talking about its after effects) and wander in and out singly while the Silurian just sits there...
The Doctor says something about it taking about 24 hours for more venom to be produced, or something like that.
Dobey Kweeg

THE DALEK SUPREME wrote:
The Doctor says something about it taking about 24 hours for more venom to be produced, or something like that.

Ah, well that explains that bit - having a highly trained, agressive and kamaikaze military trained beastie shut in a room overseen by a couple of civilians still seems pretty remiss even so.
THE DALEK SUPREME

She was chained up and handcuffed so I don't think she was going anywhere.
Dobey Kweeg

THE DALEK SUPREME wrote:She was chained up and handcuffed so I don't think she was going anywhere.

Maybe not! I think my main problem was the way the dialogue kept signposting Sally Silurians death - both from the Doctor and Sally herself. A lot of "don't go into the attic" style bits that made it sure what was going to happen. It'd ahve been a nice twist of fate if it had been kept less obvious.

One other aspect - is the Doctor a hostage taking sorta guy? It did feel slightly weird, though I kind of went with it, but anyone think it was a bit of an undoctory thing to do in the first place?

Return to “SERIES 5”

• Information