4%
1%
1%
No votes
No votes
1%

Total votes: 221
chap with wings

Rate tonights episode, thoughts and opinions as always are welcome.
"It can become a kind of franchise where it's not a real character at all, but just an amalgam of elements that people think are Doctor Who: a scarf, a bow tie... I wanted to be the actual Doctor Who." - Peter Capaldi

Follow me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/BlogFinish

My Big Finish Review Archive is here - http://blogfinishplanetmondas.blogspot.co.uk/
markgobpub

A very solid 10/10 from me, my first this series. A delightful episode, well written and executed.
abominable snowman

That was beautifully written. I think that's my favourite story so far this series :D

9/10.
THE DALEK SUPREME

That was so well written, it became quite sentimental at the end but not sickly sweet, Curtis judged the tone of it perfectly.

10/10.
greystone

I enjoyed that, 8/10 on a par with the best so far. The underlying theme was just so good it struck a cord. Some great performances there. Yes the end was predictable but it worked for me on a very human level. Matt Smith is by far the greatest of the new Drs bar none.
abominable snowman

THE DALEK SUPREME wrote:That was so well written, it became quite sentimental at the end but not sickly sweet, Curtis judged the tone of it perfectly.

10/10.

I agree about Curtis getting the tone just right. It's hard to explore something as complex as mental illness while trying to tell a story and get some light touches of humour in there as well.

Nighy's cameo was brilliant, loved the bowtie thing.

What was the song they used?
Zenith

Very strong episode indeed, the choice of locations and Currans performance as Van Gogh were outstandingly good and really made the story work all on their own - indeed once again it is a shame there has to be a monster of any kind, especially a dodgy CGI one.
Remarkably though the monster is an afterthought overall, forgotten as soon as it is despatched, the characterisation is the real star here and while it perhaps goes way too far in eulogising Van Gogh it is nice for a genuine historical character to get this level of respect in the series, a novelty even.... Curran is a terrific actor who gave 100% and frankly showed up his two co-stars in comparison.

I think unlike the majority of other such stories this episode will undoubtedly stand the test of time for years to come. A well observed and fairly candid depiction of mental illness and depression that rings completey true to me.
Grugger

I found that very moving and I'm not normally a sucker for sentimentality. The monster was just the reason the Doctor and Amy went to see Van Gogh it didn't really play a huge part in the story but for what it was I thought it worked and the CGI was the best I think I've seen this season.

The really interesting thing about this episode was the story of Van Gogh, a tragic and fascinating character struggling with depression and living an unsuccessful and ultimately doomed life. I wish they'd had more time to develop the character but I suppose that's one of the limitations of having 45 minute episodes. On the whole I think this historical figure was treated with more respect than any of the others, especially Churchill who wasn't much more than a caricature.

Matt Smith was bloody brilliant, he's got that quirkiness thing spot on, or he's just like that in real life which is okay too, most of the Doctors brought lots of themself into the role.

Well written, acted and directed (who was the director?) and a very solid 10/10 from me.
Kajaboy

10 out of 10 for me. At last something with some originality and it seems someone who knows how to write a good a Doctor Who story. Even Amy was less wooden and more cardboardy. Well done. :D
My next door neighbour mixed up her KY jelly with the superglue. I asked her how she managed that but her lips are sealed.
Solon

Mixed feeling about this one. I think the monster was a bit throw-away and the ending a bit cheesy with the music and Van Gogh writing Amy on the vase, but it's forgiveable because they haven't done much of that overblown RTD stuff this year. I think Curtis pulled if off because it was basically a story about human relationships and he's good at writing characters. It could have been very self indulgent and it touched the edges of it once or twice but all in all I think this just goes to prove how flexible the format of the show is and how good it can be when they do something different and get it (nearly) completely right.

9/10.
Solon

Kajaboy wrote:10 out of 10 for me. At last something with some originality and it seems someone who knows how to write a good a Doctor Who story. Even Amy was less wooden and more cardboardy. Well done. :D
Exactly, it was original and refreshingly different from all the other stories this series. I think it will do down as one of the best episodes of Doctor Who ever. It was good to see an historical figure being treated like a real person for a change.

Matt Smith gets another 10/10 and even Karen Gillan gets an 8/10 this week, it's the first time this year Amy's come across a real person too and there was chemistry between her and the Doctor that I haven't felt before.
Kublai Khan

10/10 best episode this series by a mile! :D
image45
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

Totally amazing episode, so well written just shows you what a Richard Curtis script can do for an episode.

If only every episode was so well written and we had had a script like this from the days of RTD.

Jonny Campbell direction works well on this as he did on The Vampires of Venice too.

Excellent, so you will not be shocked to see I gave this a 10/10 vote in the pole.
O-Ren Ishii: You didn't think it was gonna be that easy, did you?
The Bride: You know, for a second there, yeah, I kinda did.
O-Ren Ishii: Silly rabbit.
tony ingram

Was it just me, or was the invisible monster a visual (so to speak) metaphor for Vincent's depression?
aggedor

Quite a lightweight episode this week but it had some lovely character work with Tony Curran putting in a magnificent performance as Van Gogh. In fact it was nearly all character work, surprisingly little really happens when you think about it but it the whole thing was just really well observed, for example the scene where the stars transformed into a painting made me well up.

I didn't think this would be a particularly special or outstanding episode, not finding Van Gogh as instantly recognisable or even as interesting as Winston Churchill, but it was a surprising little gem mid-series and the depiction of depression was very well handled.

A very unusual and enjoyable one this week.

9/10.
aggedor

tony ingram wrote:Was it just me, or was the invisible monster a visual (so to speak) metaphor for Vincent's depression?
I thought from the trailer that the monster would turn out to be a black dog for Van Gogh's depression but I think it was simply a sub-plot to get the Doctor and Amy there in the first place. That's just my opinion though.
Deleted User 3156

Which tasteless loon voted 1/10? :x
image45
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

tony ingram wrote:Was it just me, or was the invisible monster a visual (so to speak) metaphor for Vincent's depression?
I know that the episode was so well done that you could have not used the invisible monster at all and it still would have been so watchable. Thats an amazing skill!
abominable snowman

Silver Nemesis wrote:Which tasteless loon voted 1/10? :x
I've no respect for people who vote 1/10 and can't even be bothered to review it in a couple of sentences and explain why :|
image45
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

Silver Nemesis wrote:Which tasteless loon voted 1/10? :x
Yes I was shocked to see someone had done this! I was tempted to remove their vote but it would be wrong of me to abuse my site powers in this way so its still there :|

Return to “SERIES 5”

• Information