Rate Vincent and the Doctor

Rate Vincent and The Doctor

10
79
36%
9
63
29%
8
40
18%
7
24
11%
6
8
4%
5
2
1%
4
2
1%
3
0
No votes
2
0
No votes
1
3
1%
 
Total votes: 221
User avatar
Solon
 
 
Posts: 161
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:57 am
Location: Karn
Contact:

1/10. Clearly a bit of a nitwit :roll:
User avatar
The Nimon
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 8236
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:24 am
Contact:

9/10 great story covering a delecate subject, I don't think Doctor Who has done anything like this in ages.
The Judge Judy of Planet Mondax
User avatar
image45
Former Team Member
Former Team Member
Posts: 1037
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:07 am
Location: Yorkshire
Contact:

The Nimon wrote:9/10 great story covering a delecate subject, I don't think Doctor Who has done anything like this in ages.
No its long over due to write and make Doctor Who like this once again!!!!
O-Ren Ishii: You didn't think it was gonna be that easy, did you?
The Bride: You know, for a second there, yeah, I kinda did.
O-Ren Ishii: Silly rabbit.
robbo13

9/10 from me. Excellent viewing!! Matt Smith is getting better with every week!
User avatar
Zarius
 
 
Posts: 2054
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:11 am
Contact:

A very sound episode, though a tad bit introspective and prowsy, like reading a NA in short form, the creature had virtually no emphasis on it and Curtis didnt seem at all interested in a monster and more in the match-up.

"The Ultimate Ginger" line cracked me up.

And what exactly was the "Yellow Monster?" Nowhere, it was a big...erm, Turkey, unless the "yellow monster" was the Sunflowers Van Gough find irritable, and of course became his greatest masterpeice.

It was interesting to note the BBC offered up a help-line for people coping with depression and dementia, I don't think DW has ever had that attached to it before
toxicspurge
 
 
Posts: 509
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:24 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

10 out of 10.

I don't see how you could ask for anything more from Doctor Who.
southanesq
 
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:24 am
Contact:

Going against the grain a bit - I rated this a five.

I can't fault the production - both behind and in front of the camera - but, for me, the episode ground to a halt once the creature died.

I guess what some of my fellow posters found touching, I found over-sentimental and mawkish. The song used over the closing scenes reminded me of American television - Grey's Anatomy, for some reason. Y'know: "Our characters are in PAIN / LOVE, so here's a song to reinforce how they FEEL".

I felt like I was being lectured to rather than rather than watching a drama; and it was about as subtle as being hit in the head with a brick. The later episodes of Curtis' "The Vicar of Dibley" went this way as well.

Still, the brilliance of Doctor Who is that it is malleable enough to try something like this. It didn't work for me - more of an "interesting failure" than a bad episode - but there you go...
xylok b
 
 
Posts: 750
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:02 am
Contact:

11/10 OMG this just proves Steven Moffat can't do the same depth for characters as Richard Curtis, this was amazing, i actually think the music was amazingly appropriate, i geuninely genuinely felt sorry for Vincent and it was really quite moving to see a man going through such depression yet meeting such remarkable friends, if you weren't satisified with this episode there's no hope for you!! I go back on what i say THIS is by far the best episode of the series so far, and for me it blows away anything moffat has done before characterwise, p.s where was the reference to regeneration by the way ?
greystone
 
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:48 am
Contact:

This story didn't need a monster, it was entertaining enough to carry the episode without.
User avatar
THE DALEK SUPREME
 
 
Posts: 1782
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:59 pm
Location: London
Contact:

An unofficial overnight on BBC 1 of 4.7 million with an additional 0.3 million watching the simulcast on BBC HD giving Vincent and the Doctor an unofficial overnight of 5 million.

Other new series tenth episodes

The Doctor Dances 6.8m
Love & Monsters 6.6m
Blink 6.6m
Midnight 8.05m

Vincent and the Doctor has an unofficial overnight of 5 million. The unofficial overnights tend to rise by around 2 million when the finals are released.

So if Vincent and the Doctor gets a final figure of between 6.5m and 7m I don't see what the problem is.
toxicspurge
 
 
Posts: 509
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:24 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

THE DALEK SUPREME wrote:An unofficial overnight on BBC 1 of 4.7 million with an additional 0.3 million watching the simulcast on BBC HD giving Vincent and the Doctor an unofficial overnight of 5 million.

Other new series tenth episodes

The Doctor Dances 6.8m
Love & Monsters 6.6m
Blink 6.6m
Midnight 8.05m

Vincent and the Doctor has an unofficial overnight of 5 million. The unofficial overnights tend to rise by around 2 million when the finals are released.

So if Vincent and the Doctor gets a final figure of between 6.5m and 7m I don't see what the problem is.

That's because there is no problem.
User avatar
CADILLAC
 
 
Posts: 599
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:34 am
Contact:

A truly great episode stretching the show in a new direction....

Watching it inspired me to find out more about Van Gogh and his paintings......
User avatar
fellis_who
 
 
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:31 pm
Contact:

greystone wrote:This story didn't need a monster, it was entertaining enough to carry the episode without.

Yearhhh I though the monster was just something he felt he should add to make it feel like a normal 'Who' episode but you really did not need it. Thats very special when you can do that to an episode, some other members have said this too!
chap with wings
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 3651
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:51 am
Location: Colwyn Bay, North Wales
Contact:

I really really really wanted to like this one, from all the reviews, it sounded like completely my sort of episode.
Unfortunately, it left me completely cold, I felt nothing, and worse of all, it bored me, I found myself looking at how long it had to run, and after becoming The Doctor last story, Smith just felt wrong again, which is a shame because I thought I had the Doctor back.
Curran was excellent as Van Gogh, Amy was more likeable than usual and the direction was spot on, but it just bored me.

As Tennant would say "I am so sorry"
5/10
"It can become a kind of franchise where it's not a real character at all, but just an amalgam of elements that people think are Doctor Who: a scarf, a bow tie... I wanted to be the actual Doctor Who." - Peter Capaldi

Follow me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/BlogFinish

My Big Finish Review Archive is here - http://blogfinishplanetmondas.blogspot.co.uk/
User avatar
image45
Former Team Member
Former Team Member
Posts: 1037
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:07 am
Location: Yorkshire
Contact:

chap with wings wrote:Curran was excellent as Van Gogh, Amy was more likeable than usual and the direction was spot on.

Well I have to agree with you on the above ellement that I have quoted you on. I am finding Matt much more to my style of Doctor and like the angry/sharp edge he has given to his Doctor. I am a fan of the first Doctor so this might be what I like about him.

Robert
O-Ren Ishii: You didn't think it was gonna be that easy, did you?
The Bride: You know, for a second there, yeah, I kinda did.
O-Ren Ishii: Silly rabbit.
RADIATION GLOVES
 
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:43 am
Contact:

10/10 from me.

Beautiful, just beautifiul episode.

Cannot praise this highly enough. Seeing Van Gogh at the exhibition was an emotional scene I really wasn't expecting, but what a moment.

DC
User avatar
Zarius
 
 
Posts: 2054
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:11 am
Contact:

chap with wings wrote:I really really really wanted to like this one, from all the reviews, it sounded like completely my sort of episode.
Unfortunately, it left me completely cold, I felt nothing, and worse of all, it bored me, I found myself looking at how long it had to run, and after becoming The Doctor last story, Smith just felt wrong again, which is a shame because I thought I had the Doctor back.
Curran was excellent as Van Gogh, Amy was more likeable than usual and the direction was spot on, but it just bored me.

As Tennant would say "I am so sorry"
5/10
It was an intellectual and expansive episode on intensity's ills, a bit of an education.

And that rating really isnt bad all the same, you can't have been THAT bored
User avatar
markhuk
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1089
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:21 pm
Contact:

toxicspurge wrote:10 out of 10.

I don't see how you could ask for anything more from Doctor Who.
Personally after an, admittedly, intermittent viewing I really cant see what all the fuss was about.

The story is very weak and has some huge areas of total padding, the acting is top notch as is the design and production work and the location work is about the best i've seen. The problem is whilst the characterisation is very good and I have no problem with the time devoted to that theres still way too many times where just nothing happens, not character building/defining moments, just nothing and this spoils what is otherwise a very good episode.

This is the first time I have watched an episode and thought it could have got away with being 35 - 40 minutes.

That may change when Ive watched it properly but so far I cant say I was hugely impressed.
User avatar
ghost
 
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:11 pm
Contact:

My favourite episode so far of the new run. 10/10
I would ramble all through time and space just to get a butchers at your face - Robyn Hitchcock.
toxicspurge
 
 
Posts: 509
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:24 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

AI = 86 for Vincent and the Doctor. Again, Excellent!
Post Reply

Return to “SERIES 5”

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests