9%
16%
5%
3%
1%
1%

Total votes: 270
chap with wings

Rate The Lodger, comments and opinions are welcome as always.
"It can become a kind of franchise where it's not a real character at all, but just an amalgam of elements that people think are Doctor Who: a scarf, a bow tie... I wanted to be the actual Doctor Who." - Peter Capaldi

Follow me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/BlogFinish

My Big Finish Review Archive is here - http://blogfinishplanetmondas.blogspot.co.uk/
toxicspurge

I really have no idea what to expect from this one....

:starwars:
chap with wings

Matt Smith AND James Corden.......
My hopes are not high :cry: :cry: :cry:
"It can become a kind of franchise where it's not a real character at all, but just an amalgam of elements that people think are Doctor Who: a scarf, a bow tie... I wanted to be the actual Doctor Who." - Peter Capaldi

My Big Finish Review Archive is here - http://blogfinishplanetmondas.blogspot.co.uk/
greystone

chap with wings wrote:Matt Smith AND James Corden.......
Hardly surprising.
chap with wings

greystone wrote:
chap with wings wrote:Matt Smith AND James Corden.......
Hardly surprising.
Then again it MAY be a work of genius, look how negative the response to Love & Monsters was before it was broadcast and how wonderful that turned out.

Nobbend

I'll be suprised if it doesn't get slaughtered by the football in the ratings, which incidentally I will not be watching ('cos I despise football)
chap with wings

Nobbend wrote:I'll be suprised if it doesn't get slaughtered by the football in the ratings, which incidentally I will not be watching ('cos I despise football)
I think anything over 3 million can be seen as a triumph with England playing on the other side.
I am actually looking forward to this one now, it may turn out as the new Love and Monsters.

Nobbend

chap with wings wrote:
Nobbend wrote:I'll be suprised if it doesn't get slaughtered by the football in the ratings, which incidentally I will not be watching ('cos I despise football)
I think anything over 3 million can be seen as a triumph with England playing on the other side.
I am actually looking forward to this one now, it may turn out as the new Love and Monsters.
I'm a big fan of both Love and Monsters and Fear Her
Kajaboy

I rather enjoyed that. The only problem I have is that the basic outline of the story was ripped from the pages of a DWM comic strip............just as I said that they make reference to it in Confidential. :lol:

A 9 from me.
My next door neighbour mixed up her KY jelly with the superglue. I asked her how she managed that but her lips are sealed.
OptikaNET

Okay, a four may be a bit harsh, but I just found that to be a really uninteresting episode. Left me completely cold - especially after last week's triumph. Additionally, this close to the finale, it should have been a much more interesting piece than we got.

Didn't like it at all. The pseudo-tardis console was nicely designed - but what was the ship? Where was it from? How did it come to be there? Why did the control room look like a TARDIS????

Made no sense at all.

Kind Regards
Dave
THE DALEK SUPREME

I wasn't engaged at all. It felt contrived and long-winded. Why didn't he just go up the stairs and find out what the monster was which is what he ended up doing anyway.

5/10.
Kublai Khan

Sorry not my cup of tea at all this week :(

6/10.
abominable snowman

Well that was just boring and silly.

5/10.
chap with wings

Three words - "I was wrong"
completely and unreservedly a 10 out of 10, the first episode Smith owned and no other Doctor could have played, and the supporting characters (even Corden) were wonderfully written and superbly played. I laughed, I cringed, I cried at the resolution, completely life affirming - love conquers all.
Gareth Roberts, thanks for this gem in an uninspiring season and thanks for giving me The Doctor back.
Marvellous.

Zarius

Very much an RTD-era script with Matt in it, at least Chibnall TRIED to fit into Moffat's direction, but this is the second episode where similar ideas (like patterns on a celing and an infection) have risen up in the span of three weeks. Hard pressed to find much wrong with it, it just seemed to have an out-of-left-feild ending (RANDOM TARDIS FANWANK) and a veichle for Croden rehashing unfunny BBC sitcom lingo...felt like a backdoor pilot for something rubbish he'd be in, and at best, a half-done fanfiction

Breezy and fun, but is it wise to let the RTD flavour filter back in through Chibnall and Roberts? It seems like Moffat does better with his more recent brain trust than relying on aspects of the old. Smith bails them out every time but they feel more at home with Tennant's era.

Zenith

I didn't dislike it but neither does it linger in the memory, it was very humdrum and reminded me of 'Fear Her' or Third Rock From the Sun, not that I dislike that story (Fear Her) either but these are very predictable and unambitious pieces. I will be positive here though and say James Corden was surprisingly good, I didn't think he'd make a good guest star but he played it very straight and believable, by contrast the unreality surrounding The Doctor as a person was way way overdone. It was very intentional Slapstick and I would have appreciated a more subdued and measured treatment, this must-always-be-wacky rule they've saddled him with is to the characters longterm detriment....

I thought the pseudo TV movie Tardis at the end was very nice, inherantly much better than the current version frankly as there is way too much clutter and nothing for the eye to fix on. I maybe missed the explanation as to what it was and where it came from though... the basic plot was a good one overall but quite forced and contrived, I think this season has been very unambitious overall and the cut in budget is becoming very clear. Too much an emphasis earthcentric stories and not enough naked ambition is leading to a feeling of mild dissapointment for me alas. :|
Solon

That was a fairly enjoyable rompy bit of fun before the finale kicks off.

Fun but forgettable.
paradox

WTF are they doing to my favourite programme :cry:

If it wasn't for Matt Smith I would've switched that off. It was boring and I wasn't interested in the loce story element at all, mainly because I detest James Corden.

Crap.
Ian Levine: "Sorry Travis, it's not just me. You clearly haven't been reading the thousands of posts on Planet Mondas forum lately, uncensored by bullies, unlike Gallifrey Base."
greystone

5 from me. Agree it was a bit of an pointless RTD romp.
Arcturus

greystone wrote:5 from me. Agree it was a bit of an pointless RTD romp.
I wish I could disagree.

It was sillier than the wasp story. It was too far-fetched for me, people wandering into a house because a voice on an intercom tells them to, then going up the stairs and going in alone. Alarm bells would be ringing for any normal person especially women.

The Doctor could have walked up the stairs, defeated the monster (I'm not even sure what it was or why it's ship looked like a TARDIS inside?) and we could have been spared 40 minutes of padding and love story stuff with James Corden.

At least if it had been an RTD script it would have had some better character dialogue. Would James Corden have really let someone spouting gibberish share his house, some of the scripting was very poor.

Return to “SERIES 5”

• Information