Rate The Lodger

Rate the latest episode of Doctor Who, comments as always are welcome

10
27
10%
9
22
8%
8
63
23%
7
64
24%
6
25
9%
5
43
16%
4
13
5%
3
7
3%
2
3
1%
1
3
1%
 
Total votes: 270
User avatar
Kajaboy
 
 
Posts: 4823
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:11 am
Contact:

chap with wings wrote:Three words - "I was wrong"
completely and unreservedly a 10 out of 10, the first episode Smith owned and no other Doctor could have played, and the supporting characters (even Corden) were wonderfully written and superbly played. I laughed, I cringed, I cried at the resolution, completely life affirming - love conquers all.
Gareth Roberts, thanks for this gem in an uninspiring season and thanks for giving me The Doctor back.
Marvellous.

I think we are outsiders yet again Ed. :lol:
My next door neighbour mixed up her KY jelly with the superglue. I asked her how she managed that but her lips are sealed.
Nobbend
 
 
Posts: 166
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:57 pm
Contact:

Wonders never cease! Chap With Wings liked an episode with the man he vowed he'd never watch.

For me 9/10 but only 'cos I dislike James Condom
User avatar
aggedor
 
 
Posts: 162
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:50 pm
Location: Peladon
Contact:

I thought that was brilliant! The script was funny and there were lots of touching moments between Craig and his would-be girlfriend.

Matt Smith is superb and the footie scene was genius.

10/10.
User avatar
tony ingram
 
 
Posts: 2893
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:03 pm
Contact:

Loved it. Witty and clever, and even quite heartwarming. Not understanding all the negativity towards it at all.
Deleted User 3156

That was weird. I turned on my tv to watch Doctor Who and the theme music came on (Tardis, lightening etc) then the next 45 minutes was some really boring unfunny sitcom about a fat bloke who takes another bloke in as a lodger. The other bloke is clearly a nutter but he takes him in anyway, as you would. They eat omlettes and play football at the weekend. There's a bit of a love story and an alien threat of some kind, but not to worry because the Doctor meets it, defeats it and sends it packing in less than five minutes. The guy loves the girl, the girl loves the guy. The Tardis appears and a trailer comes on.

4/10
User avatar
THE DALEK SUPREME
 
 
Posts: 1782
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:59 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Kajaboy wrote:
chap with wings wrote:Three words - "I was wrong"
completely and unreservedly a 10 out of 10, the first episode Smith owned and no other Doctor could have played, and the supporting characters (even Corden) were wonderfully written and superbly played. I laughed, I cringed, I cried at the resolution, completely life affirming - love conquers all.
Gareth Roberts, thanks for this gem in an uninspiring season and thanks for giving me The Doctor back.
Marvellous.

I think we are outsiders yet again Ed. :lol:
I think you might be right :lol:

I don't rate Gareth Roberts as a writer I haven't liked any of his episodes and they seem to get sillier and more far fetched each time. The Doctor behaving oddly was really OTT and the scene with him finding the cure for the poison reminded me a similar scene in TU&TW which didn't work for me. The call centre scene was terrible!

Why do they keep asking GR to write for Who :?
User avatar
Dave Ross
 
 
Posts: 632
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:21 pm
Location: United States of America
Contact:

How can we go from the sublime Vincent and the Doctor to this sitcom romcom garbage?

Geez what a stinker! :(
Today, the Kaled race is ended, consumed in a fire of war, but, from it's ashes will rise a new race. The supreme creature. The ultimate conqueror of the universe - the Dalek!
xylok b
 
 
Posts: 750
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:02 am
Contact:

Not brilliant, but matt really stole the show, and surprisingly Amy was rather good in this one, perhaps because it was companion light, the alternative Tardis was a nice idea and so was the dotor playing football, but quite a disapointment compared to last weeks 7/10 !!!

But oh my god oh my god, next week couldn't not come sooner, loads of classic monsters, i don't care what any one says i know the monster mash/ carnival of monsters will be excellent, omg squee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :Dalek: :Tardis:
User avatar
Dave Ross
 
 
Posts: 632
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:21 pm
Location: United States of America
Contact:

The Doctor arrives knowing there's a monster in the house that's luring people in and killing them. He responds by ignoring it for most of the episode while he makes omlettes and has cosy chats with his housemates, even going out to play soccer while it lures a few more innocent people in. It doesn't make any sense to me?
Today, the Kaled race is ended, consumed in a fire of war, but, from it's ashes will rise a new race. The supreme creature. The ultimate conqueror of the universe - the Dalek!
User avatar
Dave Ross
 
 
Posts: 632
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:21 pm
Location: United States of America
Contact:

xylok b wrote:Not brilliant, but matt really stole the show, and surprisingly Amy was rather good in this one, perhaps because it was companion light, the alternative Tardis was a nice idea and so was the dotor playing football, but quite a disapointment compared to last weeks 7/10 !!!

But oh my god oh my god, next week couldn't not come sooner, loads of classic monsters, i don't care what any one says i know the monster mash/ carnival of monsters will be excellent, omg squee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :Dalek: :Tardis:
That was the best part of the episode :lol:

Drahvins!
Today, the Kaled race is ended, consumed in a fire of war, but, from it's ashes will rise a new race. The supreme creature. The ultimate conqueror of the universe - the Dalek!
Zenith
 
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:21 pm
Contact:

Dave Ross wrote:The Doctor arrives knowing there's a monster in the house that's luring people in and killing them. He responds by ignoring it for most of the episode while he makes omlettes and has cosy chats with his housemates, even going out to play soccer while it lures a few more innocent people in. It doesn't make any sense to me?
I think most/all the scripts for modern Doctor Who are like that though, I always felt the reason they laid the Murray Gold soundtrack on with a sledgehammer and dialled the speed up to twenty was to give the audience no time to stop and think!
I'm adjusted to it now, I don't think too much on the plots. But I think Doctor Who is just seen as frivolous entertainment these days and is run by PR & census chaps, anything too ambitious or intelligent is just pulped at birth and processed into what we get on-screen....
User avatar
THE DALEK SUPREME
 
 
Posts: 1782
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:59 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Zenith wrote:
Dave Ross wrote:The Doctor arrives knowing there's a monster in the house that's luring people in and killing them. He responds by ignoring it for most of the episode while he makes omlettes and has cosy chats with his housemates, even going out to play soccer while it lures a few more innocent people in. It doesn't make any sense to me?
I think most/all the scripts for modern Doctor Who are like that though, I always felt the reason they laid the Murray Gold soundtrack on with a sledgehammer and dialled the speed up to twenty was to give the audience no time to stop and think!
I'm adjusted to it now, I don't think too much on the plots. But I think Doctor Who is just seen as frivolous entertainment these days and is run by PR & census chaps, anything too ambitious or intelligent is just pulped at birth and processed into what we get on-screen....
I hate to admit it but I think there's a lot of truth in that. I'm more a classic Who man myself.
User avatar
abominable snowman
 
 
Posts: 801
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:38 pm
Location: Blackpool
Contact:

Dave Ross wrote:The Doctor arrives knowing there's a monster in the house that's luring people in and killing them. He responds by ignoring it for most of the episode while he makes omlettes and has cosy chats with his housemates, even going out to play soccer while it lures a few more innocent people in. It doesn't make any sense to me?
Was the Doctor talking to a cat at one point?

Roll on the monster packed finale. I can't believe it's nearly the end of the season already!
greystone
 
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:48 am
Contact:

Zarius wrote:Very much an RTD-era script with Matt in it, at least Chibnall TRIED to fit into Moffat's direction, but this is the second episode where similar ideas (like patterns on a celing and an infection) have risen up in the span of three weeks. Hard pressed to find much wrong with it, it just seemed to have an out-of-left-feild ending (RANDOM TARDIS FANWANK) and a veichle for Croden rehashing unfunny BBC sitcom lingo...felt like a backdoor pilot for something rubbish he'd be in, and at best, a half-done fanfiction

Breezy and fun, but is it wise to let the RTD flavour filter back in through Chibnall and Roberts? It seems like Moffat does better with his more recent brain trust than relying on aspects of the old. Smith bails them out every time but they feel more at home with Tennant's era.

****
Absolutely, I've seen enough from Davis and Tennant to last me a lifetime, Roberts is part of another way of doing it and clearly can't adapt.
greystone
 
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:48 am
Contact:

THE DALEK SUPREME wrote:
Zenith wrote:
Dave Ross wrote:The Doctor arrives knowing there's a monster in the house that's luring people in and killing them. He responds by ignoring it for most of the episode while he makes omlettes and has cosy chats with his housemates, even going out to play soccer while it lures a few more innocent people in. It doesn't make any sense to me?
I think most/all the scripts for modern Doctor Who are like that though, I always felt the reason they laid the Murray Gold soundtrack on with a sledgehammer and dialled the speed up to twenty was to give the audience no time to stop and think!
I'm adjusted to it now, I don't think too much on the plots. But I think Doctor Who is just seen as frivolous entertainment these days and is run by PR & census chaps, anything too ambitious or intelligent is just pulped at birth and processed into what we get on-screen....
I hate to admit it but I think there's a lot of truth in that. I'm more a classic Who man myself.
yes that seems to be a fair assessment.
markgobpub
 
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:46 pm
Contact:

For me this was an instantly forgettable episode, but thankfully Matt Smith was there to salvage something from it. After the last few episodes it felt like the new series was really hitting its stride, but now we're back to square one again. 5/10, and I feel I'm being very generous.
robbo13

Well I thought that was fun! Something different anyway. 8/10
User avatar
abominable snowman
 
 
Posts: 801
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:38 pm
Location: Blackpool
Contact:

4.6 million unofficial overnights and audience share down to 22.3% against the England v USA game on ITV.
chap with wings
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 3651
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:51 am
Location: Colwyn Bay, North Wales
Contact:

4.6 million is more than acceptable against the first World Cup game.
"It can become a kind of franchise where it's not a real character at all, but just an amalgam of elements that people think are Doctor Who: a scarf, a bow tie... I wanted to be the actual Doctor Who." - Peter Capaldi

Follow me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/BlogFinish

My Big Finish Review Archive is here - http://blogfinishplanetmondas.blogspot.co.uk/
Nobbend
 
 
Posts: 166
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:57 pm
Contact:

chap with wings wrote:4.6 million is more than acceptable against the first World Cup game.
Actually the match didn't start until after Dr Who finished. The coverage was from 6.15
Post Reply

Return to “SERIES 5”

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests