16%
5%
3%
1%
1%

Total votes: 270
abominable snowman

Nobbend wrote:
chap with wings wrote:4.6 million is more than acceptable against the first World Cup game.
Actually the match didn't start until after Dr Who finished. The coverage was from 6.15
Like you said the coverage started at 6.15 and most footie fans would tune in for the pre-match banter. I think about 20 million watched the game so if DW comes away with 6.5 million or more it's done really well.
ralphtown

Am I going mad!!
I could have sworn I saw a credit for a Dr.Who adventure called something like,The Cloak of Methusulah or something like that.

Had big headache last night,so was I watching confidential and they used that title.

HELP!!!
My Brain!!

RALPH
markhuk

Excellent episode.
Highly entertaining, nice simple story good acting and some proper laugh out loud moments a great way to get us ready for the climactic 2 parter thats still to come.

Matt Smith was once again superb and I found James Cordon to be perfectly adequate in his role, I cant understand all this "sitcom" bitterness aimed at the story - Who has had humour in it right from Hartnells time.
aggedor

markhuk wrote:Excellent episode.
Highly entertaining, nice simple story good acting and some proper laugh out loud moments a great way to get us ready for the climactic 2 parter thats still to come.

Matt Smith was once again superb and I found James Cordon to be perfectly adequate in his role, I cant understand all this "sitcom" bitterness aimed at the story - Who has had humour in it right from Hartnells time.
I'm with you it was a simple story with some brilliant comic moments in it, a change of pace before we get into the finale.

Matt Smith was on top form, the writing was excellant, the direction was excellant, the acting from the supporting cast was excellant. James Cordan was good, a lot better than I thought he'd be, playing it straight most of the time.

"Bow tie - get rid!" is one of my favourite lines ever in DW and Karen Gillan delivered it brilliantly.

I liked the nod to Time Monster with the equipment made up of everyday objects and the isn't modern life awful line made me laugh out loud.

:Tardis:
aggedor

ralphtown wrote:Am I going mad!!
I could have sworn I saw a credit for a Dr.Who adventure called something like,The Cloak of Methusulah or something like that.

Had big headache last night,so was I watching confidential and they used that title.

HELP!!!
My Brain!!

RALPH
I'll have to watch DWC this afternoon because you've lost me :?:
toxicspurge

Just watched it....I'm sort of at a loss as to describe how I feel about it.

Clearly it was meant to be an off-beat episode, so maybe normal rating criteria doesn't apply.

Pretty much none of the sci-fi elements of the show made any sense. If that was the only thing I was grading it on, I'd give it a "4". Instead, I gave it an "8". Why? Two words. "Matt Smith".

He was totally brilliant as the Doctor! Totally! I can't imagine anyone criticising his casting as the Doctor. I very much enjoyed this episode, not for the Sci-fi, but soley for Matt Smith. He is just a joy to watch playing the Doctor.
chasersbass

chap with wings wrote:4.6 million is more than acceptable against the first World Cup game.
that was probably just the ratings from Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
chap with wings

chasersbass wrote:
that was probably just the ratings from Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
:D :D :D
"It can become a kind of franchise where it's not a real character at all, but just an amalgam of elements that people think are Doctor Who: a scarf, a bow tie... I wanted to be the actual Doctor Who." - Peter Capaldi

Follow me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/BlogFinish

My Big Finish Review Archive is here - http://blogfinishplanetmondas.blogspot.co.uk/
hsbc123-0

Silver Nemesis wrote:The Tardis appears and a trailer comes on.
But WHAT a trailer! 7/10 for me, I thought it was funny. Every episode cannot be dark.
xylok b

The Football match was amazing and good for getting some people into the mood before the England match.
Also was it me or did the Doctor sing the same tune as he did at the start of Inferno, and great shower scene harking back to Spearhead in space! ?
chap with wings

xylok b wrote:The Football match was amazing and good for getting some people into the mood before the England match.
Also was it me or did the Doctor sing the same tune as he did at the start of Inferno, and great shower scene harking back to Spearhead in space! ?
I think it was and commented on it to Mrs Wings on broadcast.
Can't praise this episode enough though, I am even going to watch the confidential.
"It can become a kind of franchise where it's not a real character at all, but just an amalgam of elements that people think are Doctor Who: a scarf, a bow tie... I wanted to be the actual Doctor Who." - Peter Capaldi

My Big Finish Review Archive is here - http://blogfinishplanetmondas.blogspot.co.uk/
image45
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

I rather enjoyed it too, much more than I thought I would but thats because I never found the DWM comic version that good compared to this TV version. I also found Matt Smiths Doctor more suited to this story than David T's Doctor.

Some views might also have liked Amy been stuck in the TARDIS as it gives a good feel to what an episode would be like with out her!!

This story is 'The Enemy Of The World' for this season in it feels the odd one out, if this is because its roots go back much further then so be it.

I only gave this one a 9 as it lacked that spark to push me up that bit more.

Robert
O-Ren Ishii: You didn't think it was gonna be that easy, did you?
The Bride: You know, for a second there, yeah, I kinda did.
O-Ren Ishii: Silly rabbit.
image45
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

chap with wings wrote:Three words - "I was wrong"
completely and unreservedly a 10 out of 10, the first episode Smith owned and no other Doctor could have played, and the supporting characters (even Corden) were wonderfully written and superbly played. I laughed, I cringed, I cried at the resolution, completely life affirming - love conquers all.
Gareth Roberts, thanks for this gem in an uninspiring season and thanks for giving me The Doctor back.
Marvellous.

I am so pleased to find an episode you loved watching from this season _ at last.

I don't mind if everyone else was not as happy as normal, because you were for a much needed change.

Excellent indeed :roll07:
O-Ren Ishii: You didn't think it was gonna be that easy, did you?
The Bride: You know, for a second there, yeah, I kinda did.
O-Ren Ishii: Silly rabbit.
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Well, that was a game of two halves. Once I realised that Gareth Roberts was responsible for "The Shakespeare Code" and "The Unicorn and the Wasp", as well as half of "Planet of the Dead", I realised that actually this was better than I might have expected. (GR also co-wrote "Invasion of the Bane" with RTD, arguably one of RTD's finest moments.) This was, I assume, the equivalent to "Boomtown" and various other low-budget pre-finale efforts, hence it should have been carried mainly on writing, character, etc - rather than any sort of effects-heavy epic. Weeeell....the characterisation was hardly breathtaking, with the rom-com elements rather heavy handed to say the least and signalled from several light years away, and the ending seemed (insofar as I could follow it) to be in the same "with a wave of my magic wand" camp as "Last of the Time Lords"'s pixie dust, Rose's sudden acquisition of supernatural powers, etc. On the positive side there were a few creepy bits, and just a hint of horror with the charred body on the floor, and of course Matt Smith playing footie. I must admit I enjoyed that bit, but generally this seemed rather pointless and a bit confusing. Id' say maybe 6/10, mainly because Matt Smith is so good.

On the plus side it's the first episode of "Doctor Who" I've actually watched as it was being broadcast since I caught an episode of "The Two Doctors" way back whenever that was.
DSJR

I think I'm losing the plot with this season... Last Saturday's episode left so many questions unanswered, especially regarding the Tardis-esque time ship interior (I told my son it could have been a Monan-Host vessel ;))

I just found it totally bonkers, with the weekly snog thrown in for good measure.

Matt Smith will be excellent in around twenty years time. He's just too young to be convincing for me, but I have to admit he's good, very very good, but IMO needs some maturity too properly pull it off.
The Nimon

A good fun episode 9/10. Loved the little thing at the end where Amy finds the ring, made it even better when i saw Rory the next day when he appeared at the convetion i went to, obviously the crack doesn't wipe you from time, it takes you to Doctor who convetions :mrgreen:
The Judge Judy of Planet Mondax
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

The Nimon wrote:obviously the crack doesn't wipe you from time, it takes you to Doctor who convetions :mrgreen:
"Aaaargh!"

Cue end music...
Kublai Khan

I watched it again today and I did like a lot more the second time around but I still think the ending was a bit confusing.
chap with wings

I love epiosdes like this, at the end of the day, the alien plot was secondary, it didnt really matter, we (the audience) knew what the characters knew, it was a beautiful character piece, and it was the effect that upstairs had on the characters that mattered.

LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

chap with wings wrote:I love epiosdes like this, at the end of the day, the alien plot was secondary, it didnt really matter, we (the audience) knew what the characters knew, it was a beautiful character piece, and it was the effect that upstairs had on the characters that mattered.
I found the characters rather one-dimensional, I'm afraid. Well, except for the Doctor (as always).

Return to “SERIES 5”

• Information