2%
No votes
No votes
No votes
1%

Total votes: 238
Zenith

THE DALEK SUPREME wrote:
ianj wrote:Shes a terrible actress; (I imagine only given the job because shes a fellow scot)...she reminds me of a lump of 4 by 2......totally flat and non-expressive. Still, the straight lads will fancy her in the mini-skirt, anyway!

What do we gay-boys get............................?? NOTHING. NOTHING........................ianj
You get Rory dressed as a Centurion, what more do you want? :lol:

You and Zenith are right I'm sorry to say. Karen is a lovely girl but as an actress she's got a limited range. I've been waiting for her to blossom all series and it's only tonight that she's been given any real acting to do or decent dialogue.
No, she's been given Plenty of chances. a full season and yet she's not shown any serious attempt to develop the character emotionally or add some shades to it. No maybe, just maybe, this is all part of the plot. The Doctor did note her life when he met her just did not add up and thus there is plenty of room for recreating the character, whetever happens next. I think it's her youth and sheer inexperience that is the issue as by contrast I haven't seen a companion this wooden and limited since Nyssa, but bless her Sarah Sutton was still a better actress than Gillen has been seen to be...

Karen Gillen reminds me of a young Uma Thurman.[/
Kajaboy

Solon wrote:
The Nimon wrote:10/10 OMG the best doctor Who in ages, How the hell is this going to resolve, is it next week yet?????? :VoidStuff:
It's either going to be the biggest cop-out or the cleverest thing ever :idea:
A huge reset switch I should think. :lol:
My next door neighbour mixed up her KY jelly with the superglue. I asked her how she managed that but her lips are sealed.
Kajaboy

ianj wrote:Shes a terrible actress; (I imagine only given the job because shes a fellow scot)...she reminds me of a lump of 4 by 2......totally flat and non-expressive. Still, the straight lads will fancy her in the mini-skirt, anyway!

What do we gay-boys get............................?? NOTHING. NOTHING........................ianj
Yes I think Rory should have been made to wear a shorter costume and be made to pick up lots of things off the floor while being filmed by the same people that did Challenge Anneka. :Drunk:
My next door neighbour mixed up her KY jelly with the superglue. I asked her how she managed that but her lips are sealed.
tony ingram

That Cyber head opening to reveal the skull was amazing-a classic Who moment. An 'excellent' from me.
ianj
The Dominator
The Dominator

Kajaboy wrote:

Yes I think Rory should have been made to wear a shorter costume and be made to pick up lots of things off the floor while being filmed by the same people that did Challenge Anneka. :Drunk:

MMwwahahahahaa--I'd have given the old geek one! ianj
Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner

I think it was a wonderful episode but very complicated and even my inner fanboy was struggling to follow all the threads being drawn together. I think casual viewers would have struggled even more but it was so pacey that before the casual viewers had time to wonder what on earth was happening the story had moved on and there was something new to engage them.

Steven Moffat is undoubtedly a very clever man and a hugely talented writer. I felt as though I'd watched an entire episode before the opening music, with Vincent Van Gogh, Bracewell and Churchill, River Song and Liz10 all appearing before the titles rolled. I think it takes a gifted writer to cram so much into such a short space of time and have it all make sense, indeed feel completely necessary. On the flip side there will be some people who would have preferred something simpler and more straightforward, and who found the whole epic pre-credits sequence overblown and unnecessary. In my experience those people are usually no fun at all.

For me this series has lacked the epic cinematic feel of a lot of RTD era stories, and I blame the budget cuts imposed on the programme by the BBC which have been apparent in some of the special effects this year. Thankfully the quality of writing this series, especially from Steven Moffat, has transcended the sometimes less than impressive CGI and it's clear from last night’s episode that Moffat has been secretly salting away the pennies to ensure the finale is as spectacular as possible, it looked as good as anything I've ever seen in a Hollywood blockbuster.

Even more impressive is the fact that even as this exciting and complex plot unfolds Moffat still finds to time to rework an old favourite. First the Cyber-arm comes to life, even bluffing it‘s become inactive before stunning the Doctor, then we see a battered Cyberhelmet attack Amy in a scene lifted shamelessly yet wonderfully from The Thing. The moment the helmet divides to reveal the skull within, ejects it ,and begins snapping furiously at Amy’s face is one of those classic moments that no ten year old will ever forget.

In fact this episode is littered with these kind of moments, held together by an awe-inspiring performance by Matt Smith whose sublime interpretation of the Doctor has provided a bracing (and much deserved) slap in the face to his early critics. The scene where the Doctor addresses his enemies and challenges them to take the Pandorica from him was quite simply electrifying and Smith’s intensity doesn’t falter culminating in the scene where his enemies spring their trap and imprison him inside it. Unexpectedly the music is perfectly judged and the reverse of what we’re used to at these momentous moments, and with the slo-mo it's almost painful to watch, a real edge-of-your seat cliffhanger to equal The Stolen Earth.

I can’t believe we have to wait a week to see what happens next!
The best chance for achieving peace and prosperity, for the maximum number of people worldwide, is to pursue the cause of liberty.

If you find this to be a worthwhile message, spread it throughout the land.
abominable snowman

Good review there Mikey :D
toxicspurge

Yeah, I very much agree with Mikey's review.

One of the things I'm struggling with is the whole story had a sort of "dreamlike" feel to it. Makes me wonder if the Dreamlord or the Celestial Toymaker is behind it all.

I'm also having trouble suspending disbelief that races like the Daleks and the Cybermen would be willing to work together under any circumstances, but definitely, it has the epic "Masterplan" feel to it.

I'll give it a 9 out of 10, but I reserve the right to alter the score after seeing next week's ep.

BTW, Does anyone else think these Cybermen must be from our universe if they have lots of ships in orbit. The Cybermen from the other universe never had space travel, let alone a fleet.
NoSoul

9/10. I don't think SM's cliffhangers build up as well as RTDs did, but that was one "We are f*cked" ending for the ages.
"Hi, I'm Troy McClure. You may remember me from such spin-offs as Son of Sanford and Son, and AfterMannix."
image45
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

It was bonkers - and brilliant seems to be a feeling many members have and I agree totally as I gave it a 10. The only low point for me was to see the new look Daleks that just do not work for me and spoil things when they pop up at the end. Fance been locked up in the Pandorica by a new style fair ground 'Bumper Car' indeed.

Other than that it still remains a 10 for me, lets hope next week that the Doctor is released from the Pandorica and the others feel its the new look Daleks that need to be locked up in the Pandorica for ever until the old ones are returned to use!

I wonder if I need a new smilie for 'Roman Rory'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
toxicspurge wrote: BTW, Does anyone else think these Cybermen must be from our universe if they have lots of ships in orbit. The Cybermen from the other universe never had space travel, let alone a fleet.
Hmm, its hard to say as we have not seen any of the original style Cybermen since the return of the new series and since then they seem to be doing as much as they can to destroy many of the roots the classic series set up to create many of the elements that make up the concept of what we call 'Doctor Who', this new series has not changed this sadly after it started in the RTD era.
O-Ren Ishii: You didn't think it was gonna be that easy, did you?
The Bride: You know, for a second there, yeah, I kinda did.
O-Ren Ishii: Silly rabbit.
image45
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

You carn't tell me her contract has her down as 'non-expressive', have you seen some of though dress she wears on filmy nights out on the red carpet.

And saying she is only eye candy for the straight lads, tut tut what ever next dare I ask?????????
O-Ren Ishii: You didn't think it was gonna be that easy, did you?
The Bride: You know, for a second there, yeah, I kinda did.
O-Ren Ishii: Silly rabbit.
fellis_who

Silver Nemesis wrote:Mind-blowingly good. Can't wait to see how they get him out of that :o
Yearh lets just hope we are not given a dum-down episode to explain all after we got such an amazing one this week.
Roman Roy with the auton army, does that mean he was created before the big bad crack in time erased the original Rory then? :Cyberman:
Zenith

toxicspurge wrote:BTW, Does anyone else think these Cybermen must be from our universe if they have lots of ships in orbit. The Cybermen from the other universe never had space travel, let alone a fleet.
That's what I thought, it would also explain the more powerful Cyberman down in the Pandorica, it would be a neat way to massively upgrade the Cyberman threatlevel from the relatively limited Cybus versions and in line with the current revamp of the Daleks, the fact it incorporated human remains rather than just the brain is another indicator they are in line with traditional incarnations. This Cyberman appearance is the single most exciting thing in ages for me personally, I liked the Russel Davies versions but there was always a lack of credibility about them. Steve Moffatt has just addressed this problem!
Nobbend

fellis_who wrote:
Silver Nemesis wrote:Mind-blowingly good. Can't wait to see how they get him out of that :o
Yearh lets just hope we are not given a dum-down episode to explain all after we got such an amazing one this week.
Roman Roy with the auton army, does that mean he was created before the big bad crack in time erased the original Rory then? :Cyberman:
It's wibbly wobbly timey wimey. It all happens in the present, or the past 3000 years before Amy and Rory were born when Stonehenge was built or far in the future. It's all relative.

The crack in Amelia's wall occured as part of her future where she travels with the Doctor... which hadn't happened yet.

Just like Bad Wolf- but at least Amy/Amelia didn't create it.
toxicspurge

Zenith wrote:
toxicspurge wrote:BTW, Does anyone else think these Cybermen must be from our universe if they have lots of ships in orbit. The Cybermen from the other universe never had space travel, let alone a fleet.
That's what I thought, it would also explain the more powerful Cyberman down in the Pandorica, it would be a neat way to massively upgrade the Cyberman threatlevel from the relatively limited Cybus versions and in line with the current revamp of the Daleks, the fact it incorporated human remains rather than just the brain is another indicator they are in line with traditional incarnations. This Cyberman appearance is the single most exciting thing in ages for me personally, I liked the Russel Davies versions but there was always a lack of credibility about them. Steve Moffatt has just addressed this problem!
It's possible our universe Cybermen found some of the remains of the other-universe Cybermen on Earth and upgrade themselves with some of their design features. That would explain why they tend to look similar to the other-universe Cybermen.
Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner

The Cybermen in The Next Doctor fell out of the void, it's possible that others did too and continued converting other species into Cybermen, developed technology and built spaceships.
The best chance for achieving peace and prosperity, for the maximum number of people worldwide, is to pursue the cause of liberty.

abominable snowman

Mike Nuttall wrote:The Cybermen in The Next Doctor fell out of the void, it's possible that others did too and continued converting other species into Cybermen, developed technology and built spaceships.
Two races of Cybermen in this universe.... there's got to be another series finale in that idea! :Cyberman:
Solon

5.9 million overnights. That should turn into 7+ when the finals come up :D
Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner

Solon wrote:5.9 million overnights. That should turn into 7+ when the finals come up :D
I'll be very happy with over 7 million - and I'm sure the Beeb will too :D

greystone

Mike Nuttall wrote: In fact this episode is littered with these kind of moments, held together by an awe-inspiring performance by Matt Smith whose sublime interpretation of the Doctor has provided a bracing (and much deserved) slap in the face to his early critics. The scene where the Doctor addresses his enemies and challenges them to take the Pandorica from him was quite simply electrifying and Smith’s intensity doesn’t falter culminating in the scene where his enemies spring their trap and imprison him inside it. Unexpectedly the music is perfectly judged and the reverse of what we’re used to at these momentous moments, and with the slo-mo it's almost painful to watch, a real edge-of-your seat cliffhanger to equal The Stolen Earth.

I can’t believe we have to wait a week to see what happens next!
That was the scene I disliked the most, it was just a nonesense. There stands the Doctor alone and unarmed challenging all those ships to take the Pandorica off him, and none of them think to blast him off the face of the Earth from orbit? A solution that would have suited them just as well as the episode end. I don't call that good writing, it's just Moffet continuing his 'I've seen armies run from this man' crap. And it crosses the line into the twilght zone as far as I'm concerned.

This would never have happened in the classic days. And as I've said before, what sort of army runs from one man. It's just rubbish.

There was a lot to enjoy in the episode yes, but why spoil it with this sort of tat?

This is just the sad legacy of RTD which I always feared Moffet would continue.

Return to “SERIES 5”

• Information