2%
No votes
No votes
No votes
1%

Total votes: 238
greystone

Zenith wrote:
toxicspurge wrote:BTW, Does anyone else think these Cybermen must be from our universe if they have lots of ships in orbit. The Cybermen from the other universe never had space travel, let alone a fleet.
That's what I thought, it would also explain the more powerful Cyberman down in the Pandorica, it would be a neat way to massively upgrade the Cyberman threatlevel from the relatively limited Cybus versions and in line with the current revamp of the Daleks, the fact it incorporated human remains rather than just the brain is another indicator they are in line with traditional incarnations. This Cyberman appearance is the single most exciting thing in ages for me personally, I liked the Russel Davies versions but there was always a lack of credibility about them. Steve Moffatt has just addressed this problem!
If they are ours then it's a shame the money spent on refitting the Daleks wasn't spent on refitting the Cybermen instead!!
Zenith

There's an interesting undercurrent to this episode as having rewatched it it is clear not everything may be as it seems. The Doctors comment about Amy and her house was very specific, a girl without a past? In a house far too big?
The allusions to fairytales and make believe are also potentially telling as the level of coincidence in the plot stretches plausibility, why did the Doctor even meet Amy in the first place and is the crack on her bedroom wall indicative the house is in fact at the centre of the entire plot?
What does seem evident is that there is somone or something pulling all the strings to make all this happen, the voice spelling "Silence will Fall" and apparently controlling/inhibiting the Tardis indicates something of cosmic power, but there is an additional clue that the tale is not yet done as this River Song is from an earlier timeframe than the River Song the Doctor met earlier with the Stone Angels..... clearly time has to be rebooted for any of this to happen.

So, a crack representing two timelines that should never have met and somehow Amy is at the centre of it?
It looks like there may be a time paradox at work stemming from the Doctors interjecting in Amy's timeline, the dolls and drawings of the Doctor in her bedroom are strange and keep being returned to so clearly there's a plot element there.

Thoughts?
xylok b

I do hope this doesn't turn out just to be a dream or else it would kind of be saying this whole season never actually happened at all ! I think the voice is Omega, he is really angry with the whole of exsistence !! He has unimaginable power!!
I think he probably created the whole Amy meme
Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner

greystone wrote:
Mike Nuttall wrote: In fact this episode is littered with these kind of moments, held together by an awe-inspiring performance by Matt Smith whose sublime interpretation of the Doctor has provided a bracing (and much deserved) slap in the face to his early critics. The scene where the Doctor addresses his enemies and challenges them to take the Pandorica from him was quite simply electrifying and Smith’s intensity doesn’t falter culminating in the scene where his enemies spring their trap and imprison him inside it. Unexpectedly the music is perfectly judged and the reverse of what we’re used to at these momentous moments, and with the slo-mo it's almost painful to watch, a real edge-of-your seat cliffhanger to equal The Stolen Earth.

I can’t believe we have to wait a week to see what happens next!
That was the scene I disliked the most, it was just a nonesense. There stands the Doctor alone and unarmed challenging all those ships to take the Pandorica off him, and none of them think to blast him off the face of the Earth from orbit? A solution that would have suited them just as well as the episode end. I don't call that good writing, it's just Moffet continuing his 'I've seen armies run from this man' crap. And it crosses the line into the twilght zone as far as I'm concerned.

This would never have happened in the classic days. And as I've said before, what sort of army runs from one man. It's just rubbish.

There was a lot to enjoy in the episode yes, but why spoil it with this sort of tat?

This is just the sad legacy of RTD which I always feared Moffet would continue.
Yes it's a new Who concept but maybe the spaceships didn't open fire because it could have destroyed the entrance to the underhenge or even the Pandorica itself. I'm not sold on the whole "armies run from this man" idea either but you can't fault Matt Smith's acting in that scene, he was outstanding.
The best chance for achieving peace and prosperity, for the maximum number of people worldwide, is to pursue the cause of liberty.

If you find this to be a worthwhile message, spread it throughout the land.
Zarius

greystone wrote:This is just the sad legacy of RTD which I always feared Moffet would continue.
And why would anyone fear Moffat continue RTD's spectacular legacy? Moffat's exactly the kind of fan who would merge almost all eras at a whim, as he has. Again, RTD's vision was BRILLIANT and people constantly thinking it'll be ignored are just frankly so bull-headed and homophobic it proves us right each time that there just not grateful for this show being back on at ALL.

RTD's legacy wasnt sad. FACT. FIGURES. REALITY.

It's time to ACCEPT IT.
chap with wings

Zarius wrote:
greystone wrote:This is just the sad legacy of RTD which I always feared Moffet would continue.
And why would anyone fear Moffat continue RTD's spectacular legacy? Moffat's exactly the kind of fan who would merge almost all eras at a whim, as he has. Again, RTD's vision was BRILLIANT and people constantly thinking it'll be ignored are just frankly so bull-headed and homophobic it proves us right each time that there just not grateful for this show being back on at ALL.

It's time to ACCEPT IT.
Best post for ages, thanks.
"It can become a kind of franchise where it's not a real character at all, but just an amalgam of elements that people think are Doctor Who: a scarf, a bow tie... I wanted to be the actual Doctor Who." - Peter Capaldi

Follow me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/BlogFinish

My Big Finish Review Archive is here - http://blogfinishplanetmondas.blogspot.co.uk/
Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner

I'm wondering if Steven Moffat is somehow going to go back to the pre-credits sequence of The Eleventh Hour and explain why the Doctor was hanging out of the TARDIS?
The best chance for achieving peace and prosperity, for the maximum number of people worldwide, is to pursue the cause of liberty.

If you find this to be a worthwhile message, spread it throughout the land.
toxicspurge

Are there any trailers for The Big Bang?
tony ingram

Zarius wrote:

It's time to ACCEPT IT.
No. Opinion, opinion, opinion-that's all. And what has disliking Davies' era have to do with being homophobic, exactly? Personally, I dislike it because about 75% of it was crap, in my opinion.
abominable snowman

toxicspurge wrote:Are there any trailers for The Big Bang?
Haven't seen any :(
Zenith

abominable snowman wrote:
And I think that's a good sign that the publicity office is still canny and strong - let people stew!

What's great about season penultimate episodes like this is that they always leave you with so much to think about and waiting for next week, even now I'm still turning the episode over in my mind which is both a good thing and a bad thing as the good stuff keeps getting better but the plotholes keep getting bigger... I do wonder at the implausibility of getting all of these ultra aggressive races to co-operate like this and just what the point of sealing the Doctor up like that is - surely if they can outwit him like this then killing him would be the logical sum result, not just locking him away when bitter experience should tell them he'll inevitably escape. And surely if they were so well informed of the threat then the Tardis would have been equally targeted and taken out of the game early on?!

Ah well, there's plenty to be revealed yet. :10thDoctor:
greystone

Zarius wrote:

It's time to ACCEPT IT.
We clearly see things differently.
greystone

Mike Nuttall wrote:
greystone wrote:
Mike Nuttall wrote: In fact this episode is littered with these kind of moments, held together by an awe-inspiring performance by Matt Smith whose sublime interpretation of the Doctor has provided a bracing (and much deserved) slap in the face to his early critics. The scene where the Doctor addresses his enemies and challenges them to take the Pandorica from him was quite simply electrifying and Smith’s intensity doesn’t falter culminating in the scene where his enemies spring their trap and imprison him inside it. Unexpectedly the music is perfectly judged and the reverse of what we’re used to at these momentous moments, and with the slo-mo it's almost painful to watch, a real edge-of-your seat cliffhanger to equal The Stolen Earth.

I can’t believe we have to wait a week to see what happens next!
That was the scene I disliked the most, it was just a nonesense. There stands the Doctor alone and unarmed challenging all those ships to take the Pandorica off him, and none of them think to blast him off the face of the Earth from orbit? A solution that would have suited them just as well as the episode end. I don't call that good writing, it's just Moffet continuing his 'I've seen armies run from this man' crap. And it crosses the line into the twilght zone as far as I'm concerned.

This would never have happened in the classic days. And as I've said before, what sort of army runs from one man. It's just rubbish.

There was a lot to enjoy in the episode yes, but why spoil it with this sort of tat?

This is just the sad legacy of RTD which I always feared Moffet would continue.
Yes it's a new Who concept but maybe the spaceships didn't open fire because it could have destroyed the entrance to the underhenge or even the Pandorica itself. I'm not sold on the whole "armies run from this man" idea either but you can't fault Matt Smith's acting in that scene, he was outstanding.
Absolutely, Matt Smith is the shining star of the series.
greystone

Zarius wrote:

It's time to ACCEPT IT.
It proves who right?
greystone

tony ingram wrote:
Zarius wrote:

It's time to ACCEPT IT.
No. Opinion, opinion, opinion-that's all. And what has disliking Davies' era have to do with being homophobic, exactly? Personally, I dislike it because about 75% of it was crap, in my opinion.
My thoughts exactly.
southanesq

Mike Nuttall wrote:Yes it's a new Who concept but maybe the spaceships didn't open fire because it could have destroyed the entrance to the underhenge or even the Pandorica itself. I'm not sold on the whole "armies run from this man" idea either but you can't fault Matt Smith's acting in that scene, he was outstanding.
I see this as an extension of Cartmel's / New Adventures "Time's Champion" concept. The Doctor's reputation has transcended that of mere traveler into that of someone who is genuinely feared by his enemies - "The oncoming storm" to quote the man himself.

They could have blown the Doctor off the face of Stonehenge, but in the back of their collective minds is the thought that his threat / gambit is real - best stick to the plan and see how it turns out.

That's my take, at least.

Oh, and as for the episode - 10/10!

Absolute thrilling stuff!
southanesq

greystone wrote:
tony ingram wrote:
Zarius wrote:

It's time to ACCEPT IT.
My thoughts exactly.
Ditto... But when it was good, it was very good.
Nobbend

So far they're using the same trails for Pandorica
Solon

New clip out now. It's on the news page and here http://www.planetkembel.com/forum/viewt ... &start=580
paulhickling
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

Mike Nuttall wrote:The Cybermen in The Next Doctor fell out of the void, it's possible that others did too and continued converting other species into Cybermen, developed technology and built spaceships.
Two races of Cybermen in this universe.... there's got to be another series finale in that idea! :Cyberman:
Anyone noticed on that the new Adventure Game, Blood of the Cybermen, features a modern style Cyber-head insignia (bit like the ones used in Tomb), on the Cybermen's chests replacing the Cybus 'C', plus Cybermats??!! Could this be a clue to what to expect in future Cybermen stories?

Return to “SERIES 5”

• Information