8%
3%
2%
2%
2%
2%

Total votes: 261
chap with wings

Rate the series finale, thoughts and opinions as always are welcome.
"It can become a kind of franchise where it's not a real character at all, but just an amalgam of elements that people think are Doctor Who: a scarf, a bow tie... I wanted to be the actual Doctor Who." - Peter Capaldi

Follow me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/BlogFinish

My Big Finish Review Archive is here - http://blogfinishplanetmondas.blogspot.co.uk/
NoSoul

chap with wings wrote:Rate the series finale, thoughts and opinions as always are welcome.
What if I don't want to? :lol:
"Hi, I'm Troy McClure. You may remember me from such spin-offs as Son of Sanford and Son, and AfterMannix."
chap with wings

NoSoul wrote:
chap with wings wrote:Rate the series finale, thoughts and opinions as always are welcome.
Well that's ok as well. :D
"It can become a kind of franchise where it's not a real character at all, but just an amalgam of elements that people think are Doctor Who: a scarf, a bow tie... I wanted to be the actual Doctor Who." - Peter Capaldi

My Big Finish Review Archive is here - http://blogfinishplanetmondas.blogspot.co.uk/
NoSoul

chap with wings wrote:
NoSoul wrote:
Well that's ok as well. :D
What if I change my mind and want to rate it now?
"Hi, I'm Troy McClure. You may remember me from such spin-offs as Son of Sanford and Son, and AfterMannix."
NoSoul

And is the thing even airing on time, or did one of the thousands of athletic competitions being played this weekend delay it?
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

I will rate it as soon as I can work out what happened.
chap with wings

That was rubbish, confusing, boring, flat.
Oh and can I say RESET SWITCH!

3/10 but only for the gorgeous River Song.

xylok b

OMG what a shock, not in a good way, what the hell happened to that gripping story we saw last week,this is the worst story of the whole season, that was crap, leaving more questions unanswerd, and it was supposed to tie everything together !!! 3/10 :notfunny:
WHOis007?

Reset switch: my least favorite words in all of new WHO.

Damn disappointing.
:4thDoctor:
"Beat you, cock."

Oh Tom. You and your double entendres.
abominable snowman

I think I'll have to watch that again before even trying to score or rate it!
ianj
The Dominator
The Dominator

6 from me, its getting too far up its own arse now; good fun for the kids, but full of plot holes and style over substance. And as for the quaking dalek sqeeeling "merceeeeeeeee".............well, i just wish they were the baddies of old. Reset/reboot, well you could see it coming for miles.ianj
Kublai Khan

Far too complicated - and where were the monsters again? I'm rather disappointed with Steven Moffat.
Solon

6/10.

A very frustrating episode.

Steven Moffat proving how clever he is but leaving the non-fans (and some of the die-hard fans) baffled. I got completely lost in all the zapping around through time storyline.

Disappointing.
Grugger

WHOis007? wrote:Reset switch: my least favorite words in all of new WHO.

Damn disappointing.
:4thDoctor:
I'm very disappointed with Steven Moffat. That was even worse than Journey's End :blowup:
Zenith

It WAS complicated, and it was a little light on explanation in certain places, but overall I thought it was great!

I'm not sure if the average viewer would follow it fully and the loose end of what caused the Tardis to explode and who exactly orchestrated it all might be seen as deffering the plot too much but it's all redeemed by the last ten minutes.
Character work is what has been the driving force of Doctor Who since it came back and here we get some superb characterisation and acting - Everyone really went for it. 8-)
I guess the 'get-out' was way too easy, this season still adheres to the Russell Davies formula and the repetition of themes and plot contrivances is a good part of what has been wrong with it so far, it all feels very familiar and predictable now and next season they simply must reinvent the formula. It needs better structure to the stories and a new tone, the old series reinvented itself every four years on average and look how long it lasted... :director:

The Big Bang was basically taking the shows Time Travel premise and pushing it to breaking point, I think the Doctors gallivanting through time here was ill advised as it raises obvious questions about why he doesn't pull stuff like this on a regular basis, I think they just about got away with it here but it does set a precedent and it does reinforce the point that any show such as this needs rules, The Doctor shouldn't be using these constant magic wand type to leap through problems.

But as I said the real treat this episode is some terrific character work, Amy Pond gets a life(!), Rory shows his courage and decency and is a terrific addition to the show, River Song is Best Friend, and The Doctor evokes Troughton in a wonderfully playful and mischievious way. :)
I loved the last ten minutes unreservedly and I do think the fact they kept thhe reasons behind the force that caused events a mystery is a good move, it means not everything is wrapped up too neatly and there's a further and more important mystery to be investigated... soon.

The Big Bang gets Top marks from me.
Arcturus

I hope nobody has the bare-faced cheek to moan about RTD's season finales about this one. It was boring, I was actually nodding off during it. Too much running around, crossing timelines etc, and no meat on the bones. The cliffhanger was a massive cop out and the rest of the episode got sillier and sillier until my brain switched off.

Very poor Mr Moffat.

4/10. :giljotiini:
Drathro

Great stuff. Loved the fez!

10/10 :D
Dobey Kweeg

Arcturus wrote:I hope nobody has the bare-faced cheek to moan about RTD's season finales about this one. It was boring, I was actually nodding off during it. Too much running around, crossing timelines etc, and no meat on the bones. The cliffhanger was a massive cop out and the rest of the episode got sillier and sillier until my brain switched off.

Very poor Mr Moffat.

4/10.

Well, i do get he feeling this whole series has been taking the russell cliches and dusting them with a dose of smarts to see if they could withstand the pressure. So while i have issues with another reset switch, at least this was clearly a reset switch situation where the reset was not a single lever of breath of pixie dust, but teh whole meat of the timey-wimey journey. Since the universe is screwed, the Doctor can for once afford to do all the things he can't normally in order to fix things. It'll take another viewing to see how successful this was (my biggest gripe being the idea that the Earth would develop anything like along the same lines if there were no stars - isnt all science in a huge debt to those who first studied the stars and discovered they told us a lot more about the nature of things than those pesky priests?).

However, to say it was an RTD style reset switch makes me feel you werent paying attention, or had made your mind up to dislike it. It was a reset switch (grrrr), but very little like an RTD one.

And cant help but love Matt Smith
aggedor

My girlfriend spent most of the episode tutting and saying "how convenient". Unfortunately I have to agree with her.

This should have been event telly but it turned into a routine run-a-round romp through time which became increasingly silly and dull. The resolution to the cliffhanger was just terrible, a complete cop out by The Moff. It didn't feel like a series finale to me, more like a mid-season episode, and there were no monsters - again!

Sorry not my cup of tea.

6/10.

Return to “SERIES 5”

• Information