8%
3%
2%
2%
2%
2%

Total votes: 261
greystone

Arcturus wrote:I hope nobody has the bare-faced cheek to moan about RTD's season finales about this one. It was boring, I was actually nodding off during it. Too much running around, crossing timelines etc, and no meat on the bones. The cliffhanger was a massive cop out and the rest of the episode got sillier and sillier until my brain switched off.

Very poor Mr Moffat.

4/10.
Was over complex yes, but even if they had stood still for the whole episode it would have outshone anything Davis ever did. I guess you must have missed the (sod the plot) twenty minute tear jerker scene RTD included in all his scripts. :lol:
Dobey Kweeg

Zenith wrote: The Big Bang was basically taking the shows Time Travel premise and pushing it to breaking point, I think the Doctors gallivanting through time here was ill advised as it raises obvious questions about why he doesn't pull stuff like this on a regular basis, I think they just about got away with it here but it does set a precedent and it does reinforce the point that any show such as this needs rules, The Doctor shouldn't be using these constant magic wand type to leap through problems.
Well, I took it that he has licence to do these things now that the whole universe is screwed and he just exists in this thin sliver of anomaly that is left - could have been explained a bit more clearly on screen, but so far, on one viewing, my mind allowed it the wriggle space to survive.
markhuk

First season finale I could watch without feeling faintly embarrassed about after watching it.
Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner

It's almost impossible for me to rate or score this episode because I didn't follow half of it.

I'll have to watch it again.

Surely I'm not the only one left baffled by that? :?
The best chance for achieving peace and prosperity, for the maximum number of people worldwide, is to pursue the cause of liberty.

If you find this to be a worthwhile message, spread it throughout the land.
The Nimon

10 / 10, Pure excellence, 100 times better and more thought through than what RTD could come up. Roll on next year this is seriously now in my list of all time fave Who stories. And yay, Rory is a compaion. :Tardis:
The Judge Judy of Planet Mondax
Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner

greystone wrote:
Arcturus wrote:I hope nobody has the bare-faced cheek to moan about RTD's season finales about this one. It was boring, I was actually nodding off during it. Too much running around, crossing timelines etc, and no meat on the bones. The cliffhanger was a massive cop out and the rest of the episode got sillier and sillier until my brain switched off.

Very poor Mr Moffat.

4/10.
Was over complex yes, but even if they had stood still for the whole episode it would have outshone anything Davis ever did. I guess you must have missed the (sod the plot) twenty minute tear jerker scene RTD included in all his scripts. :lol:

Give me an RTD series finale over that any time.
The best chance for achieving peace and prosperity, for the maximum number of people worldwide, is to pursue the cause of liberty.

paradox

I loved it! 10/10.
Ian Levine: "Sorry Travis, it's not just me. You clearly haven't been reading the thousands of posts on Planet Mondas forum lately, uncensored by bullies, unlike Gallifrey Base."
Dobey Kweeg

Mike Nuttall wrote:
greystone wrote:

Very poor Mr Moffat.

4/10.

Give me an RTD series finale over that any time.

Was it really that complicated? The most complicated bits of it for me are the RTD hand waved bits such as the way that history kinda trundled on in a very similar fashion for Earth without stars and the exact reason why the act of remembering someone might recreate them in the universe.

Most all the timey-wimey stuff was either very simple to follow and pretty satisfactory in explaining itself if you kept watching.
Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner

Not to me.

Five other people watching it with me were similarly stumped, and kept asking me what was going on. I couldn't explain because I needed someone to explain it to me... :lol:

Where were the monsters again?

Who was the voice saying "silence will fall"?

If the Doctor can simply pop in from another timeline that's every cliffhanger sorted out. In fact if he can do that why didn't the Tenth Doctor just pop back and he wouldn't have had to regenerate at all.

Dobey Kweeg

Mike Nuttall wrote:Not to me.

Five other people watching it with me were similarly stumped, and kept asking me what was going on. I couldn't explain because I needed someone to explain it to me... :lol:

If the Doctor can simply pop in from another timeline that's every cliffhanger sorted out. In fact if he can do that why didn't the Tenth Doctor just pop back and he wouldn't have had to regenerate at all.
Becasue here, we are in a special "universe is already buggered" situation - he cant amke anyhing worse than it is at this point, becasue theres no real time line to screw with - its all been deleted and rewritten as they speak, so his meddlingat this point isnt going to be as disastrous as the alternative! its a one off scenario - maybe they could ahve done more on screen to make that point though
Nobbend

10/10. Great fun. It all made sense to me. There are questions that remained unanswered and the Doctor acknowledged that. See you at Christmas
CADILLAC

Loved it a great madcap story,in saying that I was expecting a serious epic story after part one.....

People that know me and knowing I'm a big fan will love the death of the fez as I have an inclination to wear Turkish hats at parties..... :Drunk: :Drunk: :Drunk:
The Nimon

Well as the Doctor said, and what Moff said at the end of Confidental, we have that to come next year :P
Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner

Dobey Kweeg wrote:
maybe they could ahve done more on screen to make that point though
I think so.

I just found it really over-complicated and confusing, and so did my family. If a die-hard fan like me is struggling I wonder how the wider casual/non-fan audience coped with it.

Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner

The Nimon wrote:

Well as the Doctor said, and what Moff said at the end of Confidental, we have that to come next year :P
I haven't watched it yet mate. Maybe all will become clear when I do... :idea:

The Nimon

Mike Nuttall wrote:
The Nimon wrote:

I haven't watched it yet mate. Maybe all will become clear when I do... :idea:

Well the answer to the voice won't but more of the story might. To tell the truth i'm glad he's held that back as it'll give us something to talk about for the next year. Best thing i like about Moff is that you never know where his stroies are going, more of them i say :roll07:
Zenith

Mike Nuttall wrote: If the Doctor can simply pop in from another timeline that's every cliffhanger sorted out. In fact if he can do that why didn't the Tenth Doctor just pop back and he wouldn't have had to regenerate at all.
Yeah, I know where you're coming from. It's been the problem since day 1 and the resolution of Parting of the ways as all the problems are just waved away with a lazy magic wand such as the Tardis' cosmic energy.
But while The Big Bang used the same easy get-out clause I thought it quite good in a way as it was set up early in the series that The Doctor was travelling along his own timeline leaving traces if you watch carefully, and Amy's story was beautifully tied up.
I may or may not warm to Karne Gillens acting ability next time out but at least now she is a fully rounded character and has a past. Kudo's to Moffatt for that alone!
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

I'm still thinking about this one. It seemed to me that everything was finally sorted out by the power of positive thinking, in a similar manner to "Last of the Time Lords" and Tinkerbell, but I may have missed something. A few questions pop up, however, such as what made the TARDIS explode, what does it mean for an explosion to occur at all moments in time anyway, how come all the stars blew up (and why did we see it happen, anyway, given the distances involved?), how Prisoner Zero predicted all this, and probably a few others if I put my mind to it. Also I don't like seeing Daleks plead for mercy, that is supposed to be a word they don't understand. However, although I felt that the emotional tone was flattened beneath the sheer weight of trying to follow what was happening - to the extent that Amy or the Doctor being killed didn't register even one heartstring being tugged, because with everything being so entangled with timey wimey stuff, it was just a case of wait 5 minutes and everything will have changed yet again. It seemed a bit like "The Curse of Fatal Death" writ large, and I'm starting to feel that, unfortunately, Moffat may be a bit of a one-trick pony....

...however, I guess the real question is, how will he carry on? After series 1 I expected RTD to up his game, but instead he did the opposite. Maybe Moffat, contrariwise, will improve with time. Getting in a load of decent writers would help...
image45
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

Only a 7 for the series finaly sadly, if we were voting just for the fun factor and the Doctor jumping through time then yes I could give it a 10 but I feel we needed a lot more and even with all the links to the beginning of the series been used to recreate a form of back story it still did not seem to fill all the gaps for me or even conclude the series in a clever way like I was hoping to get from Steven Moffat, than just remember me and then I can comeback!

I did like the chance to see Caitlin Blackwood once again as the young Amy Pond from the first episode. This works well since Karen Gillen, is her cousin in real life so that link of truth exists I find. Fancy meeting on set for the time too, :lol: .

I am not sure what else to say about the episode except I would have liked Alex Kingston to have played River Song more like she did in The Time of Angels!
Let’s see what Christmas brings

Oh I see Ian Collier who played Omega in the Arc of Infinity is credited as Omega (uncredited) for The Big Bang even after his death on 1 October 2008, anyone know why this is/was? Could he be the voice we heard, Silence will fall!!!

Robert
O-Ren Ishii: You didn't think it was gonna be that easy, did you?
The Bride: You know, for a second there, yeah, I kinda did.
O-Ren Ishii: Silly rabbit.
fellis_who

xylok b wrote:OMG what a shock, not in a good way, what the hell happened to that gripping story we saw last week,this is the worst story of the whole season, that was crap, leaving more questions unanswerd, and it was supposed to tie everything together !!! 3/10 :notfunny:
yearh it does leave you woundering if there was a better cut/edit that linked to last weeks episode 8-)

Return to “SERIES 5”

• Information