8%
3%
2%
2%
2%
2%

Total votes: 261
chap with wings

The funny thing is, if the author was RTD and not Moffat, there would be flaming torches and Pitchforks after that fiasco.
"It can become a kind of franchise where it's not a real character at all, but just an amalgam of elements that people think are Doctor Who: a scarf, a bow tie... I wanted to be the actual Doctor Who." - Peter Capaldi

Follow me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/BlogFinish

My Big Finish Review Archive is here - http://blogfinishplanetmondas.blogspot.co.uk/
NoSoul

I'm still trying to process this one, but I'm ultimately happy with the resolution, because it was more organic to the entire storyline this season, and didn't feel like a complete cheat like "Last of the Time Lords" was at the end. Plus, the main threat causing all of this is still there, and the warning from River Song about everything changing suggests lots of potential ways to go in the next Series. I'm probably hovering between an 8 and a 9 here. No absolute 10s this year from me, but most of the Moff's stories got pretty damn close.
"Hi, I'm Troy McClure. You may remember me from such spin-offs as Son of Sanford and Son, and AfterMannix."
chap with wings

But it WAS a cheat, the whole future version of 11 coming back to sort things out is just lazy writing, trying way too hard to be clever and confusing for the general audience. :? :? :?
Worst series of Who since 24, with only The Lodger and to a lesser degree Amy's Choice standing out, Moffat may be a good writer but he is a lousy showrunner, he needs better directors, a better script editor and a better cast. :notfunny:
"It can become a kind of franchise where it's not a real character at all, but just an amalgam of elements that people think are Doctor Who: a scarf, a bow tie... I wanted to be the actual Doctor Who." - Peter Capaldi

Follow me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/BlogFinish

My Big Finish Review Archive is here - http://blogfinishplanetmondas.blogspot.co.uk/
greystone

Moffet needs to be careful he doesn't alienate casual viewers too much with convoluted plots. In the way Nathan-Turner did with continuity. It was really clever, no doubt about that, but themed seasons are not my favourite thing.
greystone

chap with wings wrote:But it WAS a cheat, the whole future version of 11 coming back to sort things out is just lazy writing, trying way too hard to be clever and confusing for the general audience. :? :? :?
Worst series of Who since 24, with only The Lodger and to a lesser degree Amy's Choice standing out, Moffat may be a good writer but he is a lousy showrunner, he needs better directors, a better script editor and a better cast. :notfunny:
Rubbish, how you of all people can say that is beyond me.
NoSoul

chap with wings wrote:But it WAS a cheat, the whole future version of 11 coming back to sort things out is just lazy writing, trying way too hard to be clever and confusing for the general audience. :? :? :?
God forbid The Moff should actually use the time travel part of a time travel show to do something a bit more clever than the average story. Sorry, it's not a cheat the way it went down, and it fits into the overriding theme and arc of the the 5th series where time was being changed and used in inventive ways. I don't think it was perfect, but it wasn't a 3 either.
Worst series of Who since 24, with only The Lodger and to a lesser degree Amy's Choice standing out
Not even close to being Season 24 bad. And The Lodger was one of the high points of the season? Really? REALLY????
"Hi, I'm Troy McClure. You may remember me from such spin-offs as Son of Sanford and Son, and AfterMannix."
image45
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

markhuk wrote:First season finale I could watch without feeling faintly embarrassed about after watching it.

Can you expand on why this was so???????? :behindsofa:
O-Ren Ishii: You didn't think it was gonna be that easy, did you?
The Bride: You know, for a second there, yeah, I kinda did.
O-Ren Ishii: Silly rabbit.
image45
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

chap with wings wrote:The funny thing is, if the author was RTD and not Moffat, there would be flaming torches and Pitchforks after that fiasco.
Yes too right, glad you have worked it out now :lol:

:flamer: :flamer: :flamer:
O-Ren Ishii: You didn't think it was gonna be that easy, did you?
The Bride: You know, for a second there, yeah, I kinda did.
O-Ren Ishii: Silly rabbit.
Kajaboy

Season 24 is lovely. :evil:

That aside, this was a huge cheat that makes your brain hurt the moment you start to think about it. The Doctor went back in time to tell Rory to open the box (take the money) but could only do that after Rory had opened the box. :roll:

I followed the plot but this was hores manure of the highest order. Anyone that ever dared to slag off RTD's finales while saying how great Moffat would be should lower their head in shame.

:hurts:
My next door neighbour mixed up her KY jelly with the superglue. I asked her how she managed that but her lips are sealed.
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Dobey Kweeg wrote:maybe they could ahve done more on screen to make that point though
It's a good explanation, but did they do anything on screen to make that point?
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

chap with wings wrote:The funny thing is, if the author was RTD and not Moffat, there would be flaming torches and Pitchforks after that fiasco.
Well, there have been plenty of deleterious comments about Moffat's finale, but at least I get the feeling that he was trying damn hard to produce something good, a feeling I haven't had with RTD since "The Christmas In vasion" (except for a few standouts like "Smith and Jones").

I can certainly find a few faults with TPO/TBB, not least of which is - how did that resolve the problem of the Doctor's jacket??? :shock:
DSJR

Once again, totally bonkers, but again, time stood still for me as a viewer and I gave it 9/10.

I've really warmed to Matt Smith too, which has surprised me. I still think he's too young, but his interpretation of the Doctor is very good indeed I think.

I just think that everything is too fast paced and breathless, although there were some calmer spots in last night's episode. Mind you, having watched a "Professionals" episode earlier in the day and seen how turgid the pace was and how wooden the acting seemed to be, I'm not sure a return to the 70's would be a good thing........ :D
The Nimon

greystone wrote:
Were we watching the same episode LOL. If it was between the RTD Doctor floating about in mid-air in a blue light for no reason at all and then 20 minutes of useless slush at the end and Moffs well thought out story that all came togther in a really smart way i know I'd go with Moff. The Doctors time shifts were brilliant and meant that you had to follow the plot, something missing from quite a few RTD scripts. This has been the best season of who in a long time and there was no stupid towing earths back with the Tardis at the end.

The cast is just perfect. Matt Smith is the Doctor, I haven't missed DT one bit this year even though he was good. Karen Gillan is perfect as Amy and Arthur darville is great, Ive got no complaints about the scripts or the directors

:VoidStuff:
The Judge Judy of Planet Mondax
Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner

Overnights of 5.1 million.

Hot weather. England footie showing on Sunday. A very disappointing figure, I hope it rises with the finals.
The best chance for achieving peace and prosperity, for the maximum number of people worldwide, is to pursue the cause of liberty.

If you find this to be a worthwhile message, spread it throughout the land.
aggedor

Mike Nuttall wrote:Overnights of 5.1 million.

Hot weather. England footie showing on Sunday. A very disappointing figure, I hope it rises with the finals.
It'll go up to around 7 million which is very good considering the early start time and the hot weather. Doctor Who was the highest rated show of the day on the BBC, beating Casualty by over a million. The football on ITV was the highest rated show of the day and it only got 5.7 million.
tony ingram

It wasn't 'a cheat' since it was clearly signposted throughout the series from the beginning-the clues were there for the audience to work out. That isn't lazy writing, that's clever writing-and if the 'general audience' are too thick to follow it, screw 'em. I am getting sick to death of the incessant negativity of huge chunks of online fandom, and seriously considering giving up on it altogether. If you don't like it, don't watch it-just stop whinging.
Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner

Having re-watched it in the serene calmness of my own front room, minus my question-asking family equiped with their many rustling crisp packets and toffee papers (it's worse than the cinema), I can finally review and rate it.

The story was complicated, arguably over-complicated, but that was inevitable given the intricacy of the series arc. The threads were drawn together very cleverly but I'm concerned that the non-fan viewers might have been left a bit stumped at the end of it.

Matt Smith was brillaint yet again. He continues to be the best thing about this series by a mile.

7/10.
The best chance for achieving peace and prosperity, for the maximum number of people worldwide, is to pursue the cause of liberty.

If you find this to be a worthwhile message, spread it throughout the land.
markhuk

image45 wrote:
markhuk wrote:First season finale I could watch without feeling faintly embarrassed about after watching it.

Can you expand on why this was so???????? :behindsofa:
Yes I can - and I'm happy to

Bad Wolf/Parting of the ways - the whole bad wolf thing made no sense it was just ridiculous - the TARDIS has a warning system its called the Cloister Bell and also its telepathic - why not just give the Doctor a warning and how come Rose could last so long with the energy of the vortex in her when the Doctor couldnt and she had more control of it - made me wince cause the Doctor had been reduced from the star of the show that bears his name to a guest star in the RoseTyler show

Doomsday - way to sugary I thought i was going to contract diabetes and the Tardis had been through the void - why wasnt it pulled through? Even that wasnt too awful - although it really annoyed me that there was quite literally a big reset switch but the main problem was the ending with Rose - it just went on and on - if it had just finished with them at the wall it would have been bearable but they just kept laying schmaltz on schmaltz - horrible

Last of the Time Lords - just awful - from the poor direction to the strong feeling of boy were pleased with ourselves that ran through it, to the frankly ridiculous scene of the Doctor becoming practically a god cause people were thinking of him to the (yet again) literal reset switch - just a terrible terrible end to the season.

Stolen Earth/Journeys End - well I may be in a minority here but I thought the whole thing made very little sense and as an over riding arc to the season it was quite weak - Davies just didnt seem to understand the Daleks in my opinion although I did think the German speaking Daleks was a moment of genius

The End of Time - sorry cant be bothered to go in depth on this one - thought it was sh*t - the way the Master was brought back - the way he could fly and shoot blasts of energy - the way the Time Lords returned none of it made sense very very poor

Which brings us round to the Pandorica Opens / The Big Bang - well I thought it was a little telegraphed to be honest, yes I thought the final episode was a little light on action but other than that I had no problem with it - yes there was a reset switch but at least this time the whole season had worked towards it - it didnt feel like it had just been made up at the last second cause the writer couldnt think of a way out of the predicament he found himself in.
It was a bit sugary I will agree with that but once again we all knew it was coming and it was really well handled and this time there are answers still to be given- who controlled the Tardis, what is Rivers' secret? Its nice to end the season with a lead into the next season.

So to answer chaps assertion that its no different to RTDs reset button - I'd refute that, Moffats has built towards this ending the whole season in a way that RTDs never did - by the time we got to the end there was nowhere else he could go - it followed the logic that he had already laid down in earlier episodes and was therefore a perfectly consistant ending and to me the first since the series returned - hence the lack of embarrassment.
Kajaboy

tony ingram wrote: If you don't like it, don't watch it-just stop whinging.
If Boy George releases a cr@p record I still buy it becasue I am a fan. I know he will make better and the good outweighs the bad 10-1. It's the same with Doctor Who. I will keep watching in the hope that something better is coming..........and bad Doctor Who is still better than anything on ITV.
My next door neighbour mixed up her KY jelly with the superglue. I asked her how she managed that but her lips are sealed.
tony ingram

Kajaboy wrote:
tony ingram wrote: If you don't like it, don't watch it-just stop whinging.
If Boy George releases a cr@p record I still buy it becasue I am a fan. I know he will make better and the good outweighs the bad 10-1. It's the same with Doctor Who. I will keep watching in the hope that something better is coming..........and bad Doctor Who is still better than anything on ITV.
I know, I know, and I agree-sorry, I was just getting snappy. You watch something you think was superb, you trawl through a few forums and come across endless negative comments from people who seem to have missed the whole point, it slighty deflates you and spoils your own enjoyment, know what I mean? I was probably guilty of much the same thing while Davies was in charge (in fact, I know I was) but it still rankles. Ignore me.

Return to “SERIES 5”

• Information