8%
3%
2%
2%
2%
2%

Total votes: 261
Kajaboy

tony ingram wrote:I know, I know, and I agree-sorry, I was just getting snappy. You watch something you think was superb, you trawl through a few forums and come across endless negative comments from people who seem to have missed the whole point, it slighty deflates you and spoils your own enjoyment, know what I mean? I was probably guilty of much the same thing while Davies was in charge (in fact, I know I was) but it still rankles. Ignore me.
I have become a master at ignoring negative comments about my fave stories. Just imagine how I used to feel after my first visits to DW forums only to find endless pages defecating all over season 24 and Mel. :shock:
My next door neighbour mixed up her KY jelly with the superglue. I asked her how she managed that but her lips are sealed.
ghost

I didn't expect to see such bad feeling towards this. I really enjoyed it. I thought it was intelligent, stylish and charming.

8/10
I would ramble all through time and space just to get a butchers at your face - Robyn Hitchcock.
Zenith

tony ingram wrote:
chap with wings wrote:But it WAS a cheat, the whole future version of 11 coming back to sort things out is just lazy writing, trying way too hard to be clever and confusing for the general audience. :? :? :?
Worst series of Who since 24, with only The Lodger and to a lesser degree Amy's Choice standing out, Moffat may be a good writer but he is a lousy showrunner, he needs better directors, a better script editor and a better cast. :notfunny:
It wasn't 'a cheat' since it was clearly signposted throughout the series from the beginning-the clues were there for the audience to work out. That isn't lazy writing, that's clever writing-and if the 'general audience' are too thick to follow it, screw 'em. I am getting sick to death of the incessant negativity of huge chunks of online fandom, and seriously considering giving up on it altogether. If you don't like it, don't watch it-just stop whinging.

Yeah, I'm all for open criticism and certainly this series was far too weak in places given the amount of lead time they had but I still get a massive thrill out of watching Doctor Who on BBC1 in the same way I was religiously watching it as a kid 25 years ago. We are incredibly fortunate to have a series that is so well made and regarded, I wish the more vocal critics on the net would just step back, take a couple of deep breaths and put it all into perspective.... it's 2010 and we have a popular series. That's remarkable to me.

It's okay to be critical of a story that hasn't cut the mustard but out of the entire five years so far I can honestly say very few stories have completely failed for me. The series needs supported for its sum total result, not its occasional fluffs.
greystone

Kajaboy wrote:
tony ingram wrote: If you don't like it, don't watch it-just stop whinging.
If Boy George releases a cr@p record I still buy it becasue I am a fan. I know he will make better and the good outweighs the bad 10-1. It's the same with Doctor Who. I will keep watching in the hope that something better is coming..........and bad Doctor Who is still better than anything on ITV.
Does Boy George still release records :o

Sorry, just couldn't resist it. :roll07:
Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner

Kajaboy wrote:
tony ingram wrote: If you don't like it, don't watch it-just stop whinging.
If Boy George releases a cr@p record I still buy it becasue I am a fan. I know he will make better and the good outweighs the bad 10-1. It's the same with Doctor Who. I will keep watching in the hope that something better is coming..........and bad Doctor Who is still better than anything on ITV.
There's a lot of 80's Who I don't like much but it didn't stop me loving the series or being a fan. It's that special fan-love that entitles us to criticise, like a parent scolding a beloved child for not behaving as we'd like it to :geek:
The best chance for achieving peace and prosperity, for the maximum number of people worldwide, is to pursue the cause of liberty.

If you find this to be a worthwhile message, spread it throughout the land.
abominable snowman

Yes we are allowed to tell Doctor Who off for being naughty.

One day I will watch The Big Bang again and smack Doctor Who's bottom for being very naughtly :lol:
toxicspurge

Well, I gave it a 6 out of 10 and that was being quite charitable I think.

There were some really sweet moments, but the plot was basically nonsense.

1. How come Auton-Rory could open the Pandorica with the sonic screwdriver, but afterwards, it's the most impregnable thing in the universe?

2. I'm not great at temporal mechanics, but I don't think the Doctor should have been able to use River's crappy time travel device to zip into a time loop and withdraw her.

3. If the Doctor has hooked River's time device up to the Pandorica, it should have just vanished and reappeared in the exploding Tardis. It wouldn't travel through space.

4. The rest is just waving a magic wand. In the rebooted Universe, did Amy experience any of the adventures she previously had with the Doctor? Seems to me you don't get to reboot the whole universe AND remember everything that happened in the previous one.

I could go on, but it's all magic wand nonsense.
bingo99

It reminded me of Back To The Future II
"Scriptwriters are confident they'll make a huge impact. Everyone remembers the Daleks and the Cyberman, but not a lot else if they're honest. The Tritovore will change that. They will last long in the memory" - New Who PR, 2009
Grugger

Without the charm :lol:

I don't think comedy is Moffat's strong point whereas Gareth Roberts can pull off some gags.
tony ingram

Grugger wrote:Without the charm :lol:

I don't think comedy is Moffat's strong point whereas Gareth Roberts can pull off some gags.
Moffat wrote Coupling, Joking Apart and Chalk, and you don't think comedy's his strong suit? He's been principally a comedy writer until now! :?
greystone

tony ingram wrote:

Moffat wrote Coupling, Joking Apart and Chalk, and you don't think comedy's his strong suit? He's been principally a comedy writer until now! :?
Yeah, but are they funny? I've never seen them but I know plenty of comedy writers who couldn't raise a titter in a room filled with laughing gas :lol:
Grugger

tony ingram wrote:

I haven't seen the others but I thought Coupling wasn't very funny and that's before I knew who Steven Moffat was.
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

bingo99 wrote:It reminded me of Back To The Future II
I hate to say this, but it reminded me of quite a lot of RTD's stuff, but without the same ability to tug your heartstrings, if ever so briefly.

If you believe in the Doctor, clap your hands...

Sigh.
Zenith

LizR wrote:
I hate to say this, but it reminded me of quite a lot of RTD's stuff, but without the same ability to tug your heartstrings, if ever so briefly.

Sigh.
That philsophy happens a little too much in the series I agree, a lot of the time it does not work, sometimes though... (!)

It's not the fact Amy simply 'wished' the Doctor back that's the major point of the finale, I loved the last ten minutes unreservedly as it is both pure hero worship and better still wish fullfillment. Amy's lifelong imaginary friend and private support mechanism is probobly something a great many kids (Big or young) can empathise with, the scene is very reminiscent of one of the best 8thDoctor BBC books - The Deadstone Memorial, where at the finale the Doctor is lost forever and it is up to the heroine of the story to 'bring' him back, through the power of her belief in him.... it's a wonderful sequence in a wonderful book.
There is nothing wrong with this sort of wish fullfillment and it forms a major part of growing up, When i watched the original series as a kid I had the same feelings, The Doctor was my favorite hero and i'd imagine what if the Tardis landed in my street... fair enough, criticise the plot of the story but don't criticise the very specific reasoning behind scenes such as Amy's willing her hero into existence - it's what great fantasy is all about.

Wish fullfillment. :10thDoctor:
chap with wings

LizR wrote:

Sigh.
It reminded me of a soul less cover version of RTD played by an inferior tribute act.
"It can become a kind of franchise where it's not a real character at all, but just an amalgam of elements that people think are Doctor Who: a scarf, a bow tie... I wanted to be the actual Doctor Who." - Peter Capaldi

Follow me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/BlogFinish

My Big Finish Review Archive is here - http://blogfinishplanetmondas.blogspot.co.uk/
tony ingram

greystone wrote:
tony ingram wrote:

Yeah, but are they funny? I've never seen them but I know plenty of comedy writers who couldn't raise a titter in a room filled with laughing gas :lol:
Yes, they are. If you've never seen Coupling or Joking Apart, trust me, you're missing out! I don't normally like that kind of comedy, but Coupling in particular is one of the best written comedies I've seen in years.
tony ingram

chap with wings wrote:
LizR wrote:

Sigh.
It reminded me of a soul less cover version of RTD played by an inferior tribute act.
What 'ability to tug your heartstrings'? Davies' worked never tugged my heartstrings, though it did stretch my patience. The Welsh windbag is finally, mercifully gone-for God's sake, can't we just forget him? There was nothing inferior about this episode or this series-quite the opposite, in fact.
Nobbend

La Moffatt also wrote the execrable 'Chalk' (1997) and Curse of Fatal Death. So examples of not-comedy and pure genius there
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

tony ingram wrote:
chap with wings wrote:
LizR wrote:I hate to say this, but it reminded me of quite a lot of RTD's stuff, but without the same ability to tug your heartstrings, if ever so briefly.

Sigh.
What 'ability to tug your heartstrings'? Davies' worked never tugged my heartstrings, though it did stretch my patience. The Welsh windbag is finally, mercifully gone-for God's sake, can't we just forget him? There was nothing inferior about this episode or this series-quite the opposite, in fact.
Well, maybe it was just me, but I often found that the tears were jerked (often reluctantly) by RTD. That was one thing he could do, together with writing soap opera characters. Admittedly I hated myself for being manipulated, hated him for doing it, and hated the fact that his stories fell apart in your hands if you thought about them for a microsecond, but IMHO he could do it. Moffat usually leaves me dry eyed but having been more entertained, and with my brain cells feeling that they've had some nourishment. (Except when the explanation turns out to involve Mme du Pompadour's brain, at least...)

Moff and RTD are almost literally poles apart - SM's so full of science fiction cleverness that he hasn't stopped to get the human angle right. There was lots of dying and coming back to life in TPO/TBB, too much in fact - I got tired of all the plot twists - in my opinion, Moffat needs to fully round out his characters, but also to put more effort into developing coherent stories. A plot twist should leave you thinking something like "Wow! I didn't see that coming, but now everything makes sense!" rather than "What? What?? WTF just happened???"

I keep changing my mind about this one, which is probably a good sign. Hated the magic wand resolution, hated the way the Doctor kept breaking the rules for no clearly explained reason (unless I missed why it's now OK to pop back and forth in time constantly), hated the begging Dalek (does Moff have something against the Daleks, as RTD seemed to?), hated wondering whether the universe was destroyed/rebooted/now a dream/whatever . . . hated the ultimate prison being opened by a blast of the sonic . . . but I have to admit that I did like the feeling that Moffat is taking risks, and trying to stretch the format. If he can get his act together - perhaps do less of the writing himself, for one thing - things might improve. I thought this series started off very well but went downhill somewhat, and ended with a magic wand resolution - quite similar to RTD's first series, in fact. Will SM follow RTD's footsteps and sink into complacently churning out the same rubbish for the next few years, or up his game and produce something really spectacular next time? (I don't mean in CGI or universe-shattering terms, but story-wise, of course).

Time will tell.
tony ingram

See, I don't care that much about the 'human angle'. I watch Doctor Who because I like science fiction, so I'd rather find myself slapping my forehead and exclaiming 'oh, I get it now!' over a clever time travel related plot twist than sit there yawning and glancing at the clock as yet another boring kitchen sink moment unfolds. Yes, character moments are nice-but they should compliment the plot, not substitute for it. I think Moffat understands that more than Davies did. My instinctive reaction to Davies transparently trying to manipulate the audience's emotions with an overdone wuv scene and yet another rising score from Murray 'Cheesemeister' Gold was usually to swear at the screen...

Return to “SERIES 5”

• Information