Doctor Who Season 5 Poll

What is your favourite story of season 5?

The Eleventh Hour
9%
The Beast Below
2%
Victory of the Daleks
3%
The Time of Angels/Flesh & Stone
26%
Vampires of Venice
3%
Amy's Choice
12%
The Hungry Earth/Cold Blood
5%
Vincent and the Doctor
23%
The Lodger
9%
The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang
8%

Total votes: 246
chap with wings

Let everyone know your favourite story of Seaons 5.
"It can become a kind of franchise where it's not a real character at all, but just an amalgam of elements that people think are Doctor Who: a scarf, a bow tie... I wanted to be the actual Doctor Who." - Peter Capaldi

Follow me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/BlogFinish

My Big Finish Review Archive is here - http://blogfinishplanetmondas.blogspot.co.uk/
chap with wings

The Lodger by a country mile, Smith actually felt like the Doctor, it had real people in a real setting, genuine emotion and humour and did what Who does best, amde the familiar scary and made it all about the people.
"It can become a kind of franchise where it's not a real character at all, but just an amalgam of elements that people think are Doctor Who: a scarf, a bow tie... I wanted to be the actual Doctor Who." - Peter Capaldi

My Big Finish Review Archive is here - http://blogfinishplanetmondas.blogspot.co.uk/
tony ingram

I've enjoyed virtually all of it immensely, but much as I loved the overall story arc and am now delightedly seeing how it all fits together, he almost standalone 'Vincent & the Doctor' has to be the best, for me. Quirky, unexpected, surprisingly deep and a joy from start to finish.
Kajaboy

The Lodger. I think it may have been one of the only 10's I gave all season.
My next door neighbour mixed up her KY jelly with the superglue. I asked her how she managed that but her lips are sealed.
Zenith

Time of Angels two parter was the highlight. It had a lot of mystery, tension & was allround well made. I think the series as a whole felt cobbled together and the lack of any new monsters and unfamiliar challenges was very notable, I think maybe that's the budget cuts biting but I have always felt Doctor Who should always be forward looking and not reliant on past glories if it wants to maintain its popularity and energy.
Next series I'd like new writers and a mandate for bold new threats and characters, What I do like a lot about the season is the fact it ended with a very succesful character arc with Amy and Rory, their story really did tie up in a satisfying way and they did the unexpected in actually succesfully marrying them off!!! That's the sort of dynamic unexpected plotting I like to see and I am honestly looking forward to seeing the trio again, they have a believable and strong friendship we haven't seen in the show for a long time now....

:10thDoctor:
THE DALEK SUPREME

Vincent and the Doctor has got to be the highlight of this series for me, closely followed by Vampires of Venice and Amy's Choice.
CADILLAC

tony ingram wrote:I've enjoyed virtually all of it immensely, but much as I loved the overall story arc and am now delightedly seeing how it all fits together, he almost standalone 'Vincent & the Doctor' has to be the best, for me. Quirky, unexpected, surprisingly deep and a joy from start to finish.

Worked out exactly what I wanted to say then found Tony had read my Brain and posted it word for word.....
Grugger

Vincent and the Doctor, then The Lodger, Vampires of Venice and Amy's choice.
The Nimon

I've gone for Amys Choice. A very diffrent and enjoyable story
The Judge Judy of Planet Mondax
aggedor

Vampires of Venice just because I like the historicals.
chap with wings

I will keep this poll open until the end of July, then announce the results!!!

markhuk

The 11th Hour

A great story, fantastic introduction for Matt and set the look and feel for the whole season.
A great season but for me this one was just slightly ahead of the rest.
xylok b

Vincent and the doctor was the best standalone episode of the series in myo it had no monsters but th characters were extremely well realised, followed by the Pandorica Opens just because of it's scale, the new daleks were rally good in this, a nice reapperance from the autons and loads of old enemies, and most notably one of the best cybermen scenes ever !! :Cyberman:
THE DALEK SUPREME

Moffat virtually re-invented the Cybermen in that one scene. It was the most memorable scene of the whole series IMHO.
Shaving Foamasi

The Lodger for me - can't believe I agree with Ed...

Although unlike Ed, I enjoyed all of the series except for the Dalek story. Still undecided about the finale but Matt Smith is the best Doctor we've had since the show came back in 2005... 8-)
You mean you believed the Doctor would never regenerate into a woman?
image45
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

Its still 'The Time of Angels/Flesh & Stone' for me, I even watched it again thsi morning when I Wide Awake Club at 6am. Thats what early starts are all about like ;)
O-Ren Ishii: You didn't think it was gonna be that easy, did you?
The Bride: You know, for a second there, yeah, I kinda did.
O-Ren Ishii: Silly rabbit.
Dave Ross

Vincent and the Doctor.
Today, the Kaled race is ended, consumed in a fire of war, but, from it's ashes will rise a new race. The supreme creature. The ultimate conqueror of the universe - the Dalek!
dastari

For me 'Vincent and the Doctor' stands out as my favourite in a largely excellent season. Least favourite for me was 'Amy's Choice' and this is mostly because I felt that the Rory storyline misfired.

The opportunity for a 'will they/won't they?' unrequited relationship between Rory and Amy was missed in my view. This could have been touching and fun without changing much of what we eventually saw. Instead we now have a married couple in the TARDIS with the Doctor as gooseberry. Can't see that working for long - maybe I'll be proved gloriously wrong.

Despite being seriously unsure about his casting, Matt Smith is excellent and can only improve. I hope he manages three or four seasons and that the River Song arc/mystery is given time to deepen and grow. Amy is fun and very sexy (and don't underestimate the importance of this element to the show - Barry Letts understood it in a perfectly non grubby way), and Rory is a lovable character growing into the role of the hero nicely. The new TARDIS looks great although its impracticability as a television set is obvious and quite laughable.

My biggest gripe with this season is the slightly cheaper feel it has had. Some of the CGI has been of SJA standards, and the set dressing in general (The Beast Below) appeared less lavish or careful. Your flagship programme is no place to cut corners, but then we live in a time where people are generally trying to convince themselves/be convinced that you can cut things by 20% without impacting upon the quality of the outcome. I'd be interested to know what the difference in budget was this year.

So for 2011 my wishlist would be:
* more River Song, perhaps as full, sole companion for a few stories;
* a new monster (Zygons would do!);
* a cyberman story (how good was that one scene in The Pandorica Opens?);
* a rest for the Daleks;
* Ian McKellan or Judi Dench to appear;
* a world war one historical;
* the Brigadier;
* Moffat to approach RTD to pen a story for the 2012 season;
* Moffat to start to plan something wonderful for 2013 (perhaps his swansong?).

All in all 2010 was a really good year for Dr Who. The ratings could easily have collapsed in the face of dislike of MS, hot weather, unnecessary hiatus and new tone. Instead it has consolidated nicely and is well placed for ever more success and at least two more seasons. A bit more money on the screen and really careful tone meetings for next year and I think the future looks really rosey!
Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner

dastari wrote:
My biggest gripe with this season is the slightly cheaper feel it has had. Some of the CGI has been of SJA standards, and the set dressing in general (The Beast Below) appeared less lavish or careful. Your flagship programme is no place to cut corners, but then we live in a time where people are generally trying to convince themselves/be convinced that you can cut things by 20% without impacting upon the quality of the outcome. I'd be interested to know what the difference in budget was this year.
I heard the budget was cut by 10%.

Having seen the last series I'd say that looks about right.

I was quite surprised that at the same time the BBC could find £1,000,000 for a 3D cinema trailer for the series. I think that money could have been better spent elsewhere, in more words at The Mill or with Neil Gorton.
The best chance for achieving peace and prosperity, for the maximum number of people worldwide, is to pursue the cause of liberty.

If you find this to be a worthwhile message, spread it throughout the land.
bingo99

Mike Nuttall wrote:I was quite surprised that at the same time the BBC could find £1,000,000 for a 3D cinema trailer for the series. I think that money could have been better spent elsewhere, in more words at The Mill or with Neil Gorton.
Or perhaps some nice looking Daleks? :D
"Scriptwriters are confident they'll make a huge impact. Everyone remembers the Daleks and the Cyberman, but not a lot else if they're honest. The Tritovore will change that. They will last long in the memory" - New Who PR, 2009

Return to “SERIES 5”

• Information