Doctor Who Season 5 Poll

What is your favourite story of season 5?

The Eleventh Hour
9%
The Beast Below
2%
Victory of the Daleks
3%
The Time of Angels/Flesh & Stone
26%
Vampires of Venice
3%
Amy's Choice
12%
The Hungry Earth/Cold Blood
5%
Vincent and the Doctor
23%
The Lodger
9%
The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang
8%

Total votes: 246
Zenith

Very good comments in the thread - Wouldn't we be better with some brand new monsters though? If the budget is so tight it is a worry that it will force them to keep recycling the same old bunch we've been seeing and that inevitably impacts the freshness of the show as a whole.
I think more new characters like River Song or Jack Harkness are a good way to go, human types who are both intelligent and a good match for the Doctor. I like the way these two can just plausibly turn up when the plot/need arises and maybe we need someone like that who is an outright villain? The BBC books had Sabbath and I think i'd like to see that sort of new creation rather than trying to make the rather tired old Master work. :roll:
dastari

Thanks for the info Mike - I agree that 10% looks about right. Nothing massive, just a little threadbare at times, and with the advances being made in the US all the time these things don't help.

Zenith - maybe this is the direction River Song will go next season? She might just turn out to be a whole lot more complex than we knew.

Bingo - you're right about the Daleks. I promised to give them time (I gave the theme tune time and quite like it now), but in the final analysis they are just sh*t.
abominable snowman

Zenith wrote:Very good comments in the thread - Wouldn't we be better with some brand new monsters though? If the budget is so tight it is a worry that it will force them to keep recycling the same old bunch we've been seeing and that inevitably impacts the freshness of the show as a whole.
I think more new characters like River Song or Jack Harkness are a good way to go, human types who are both intelligent and a good match for the Doctor. I like the way these two can just plausibly turn up when the plot/need arises and maybe we need someone like that who is an outright villain? The BBC books had Sabbath and I think i'd like to see that sort of new creation rather than trying to make the rather tired old Master work. :roll:
There weren't any really memorable monsters this year, nothing to give the all time biggies a run for their money.

The Silurians were disappointing, the Daleks were ridiculous, and even the alliance of monsters at the end of TPO looked like whatever they had left at the back of the prop cupboard. Weevils, Roboforms and Bob the Blowfish :|
Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner

dastari wrote:Thanks for the info Mike - I agree that 10% looks about right. Nothing massive, just a little threadbare at times, and with the advances being made in the US all the time these things don't help.

Zenith - maybe this is the direction River Song will go next season? She might just turn out to be a whole lot more complex than we knew.

Bingo - you're right about the Daleks. I promised to give them time (I gave the theme tune time and quite like it now), but in the final analysis they are just sh*t.
If you reduce the budget of anything by 10% quantity or quality has to be reduced. I think they cut back on the number of effects this year to try and do fewer better, or as best they could. In the past The Mill has done the programme makers some massive favours, sometimes working for free in their own time to make sure the effects were as impressive as possible. Effects aren't important but it's nice to get them right, and nice not to have the fairy liquid bottle spaceships and wobbly sets that the classic series was infamous for. This series the CG work was done by TM and somewhere else, possibly in-house? If this is the case I think it was a mistake, The Mill has been good to Doctor Who and the BBC shouldn't forget it.

One rumour I heard was that the 2010 Christmas special is being paid for out of the 2011 budget because Adam Smith overspent so horrendously, whether that's true or not I don't know, just something that I heard. Let's see if Smith is hired to direct for the next series?

I watched Army of Ghosts and Doomsday today and it looks much more expensive than this year's finale, in comparison this one was much smaller scale.

Whoever signed off on the Dalek design should have had their knuckles rapped, they're a disgrace.
The best chance for achieving peace and prosperity, for the maximum number of people worldwide, is to pursue the cause of liberty.

If you find this to be a worthwhile message, spread it throughout the land.
Nobbend

The cleverness of The Big Bang lead me to vote for episodes 12 and 13 as my favourite
Shaving Foamasi

bingo99 wrote:
Mike Nuttall wrote:I was quite surprised that at the same time the BBC could find £1,000,000 for a 3D cinema trailer for the series. I think that money could have been better spent elsewhere, in more words at The Mill or with Neil Gorton.
Or perhaps some nice looking Daleks? :D
The question is, do those Daleks even exist anymore now? Or is that one of the prices to be paid for Amy bringing back the Doctor?
You mean you believed the Doctor would never regenerate into a woman?
Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner

We can only hope so :lol:
The best chance for achieving peace and prosperity, for the maximum number of people worldwide, is to pursue the cause of liberty.

markhuk

I really like the new daleks
apart from the zipper on the back
Arcturus

Nobbend wrote:The cleverness of The Big Bang lead me to vote for episodes 12 and 13 as my favourite
I thought it was clever but too complicated for the casual viewers.
bingo99

Would anyone here be majorly upset if the season ended with Vincent And The Doctor? I would have preferred it. And I thought The Big Bang was one of the better finales, but I'm just so bored of the overblown, too much budget spent on them, willy-waving finales. Give me a great story over a big story any day.
"Scriptwriters are confident they'll make a huge impact. Everyone remembers the Daleks and the Cyberman, but not a lot else if they're honest. The Tritovore will change that. They will last long in the memory" - New Who PR, 2009
ianj
The Dominator
The Dominator

Yes, I agree...oh, for the days when the series would just end on a normal episode--though after the announcement that "Doctor Who will return in the Autumn" over a photo-caption on air it would seem an intolerable wait! ianj
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Arcturus wrote:I thought it was clever but too complicated for the casual viewers.
it wasn't just that, though. Or rather it wasn't that at all, because having appeared overbearingly clever at the start, the story eventually resolved itself using a massive 4 reset switches (by my count) - thereby equalling all of RTD's season finales on the "getting out of a corner by hand-waving" front in one mighty bound.

In other words, although we now have a Doctor who may arguably be the best of all time, a couple of passable companions* and the increasingly interesting River Song, and some great character moments (rather than the previous OTT you-will-emote-when-I-tell-you-to approach), we also had a plot that was, unfortunately, a galactic sized heap of bollocks.

I wondered why I felt quite happy with the finale in some ways, while simultaneously wanting to throw the TV out the window in others....

*Amy attempts to snog the Doctor twice on her wedding day, once before and once after she's married - is Moffat trying to make her as unlikeable as possible, or what?
WHOis007?

Liz, are you one of the Androzani.com reviewers?

Your comments seem quite like theirs.
"Beat you, cock."

Oh Tom. You and your double entendres.
Nobbend

LizR wrote: we also had a plot that was, unfortunately, a galactic sized heap of bollocks.
Whereas in the old days all Dr.Who plots were eminently sensible.

Don't get me started in the feasiblilty of time travel, brain transplant surgery or teleportation.
Nobbend

markhuk wrote:I really like the new daleks
apart from the zipper on the back
I note with interest that in the episodes the new Daleks (including the fossilised one in Big Bang) are only filmed from the front
abominable snowman

LizR wrote:
the story eventually resolved itself using a massive 4 reset switches (by my count) - thereby equalling all of RTD's season finales on the "getting out of a corner by hand-waving" front in one mighty bound.

Amy attempts to snog the Doctor twice on her wedding day, once before and once after she's married - is Moffat trying to make her as unlikeable as possible, or what?
RTD took four years to achieve what Moffat did in one episode.

The wanting to kiss the Doctor on her wedding day thing made me dislike Amy even more.
Shaving Foamasi

LizR wrote:
Arcturus wrote:I thought it was clever but too complicated for the casual viewers.
it wasn't just that, though. Or rather it wasn't that at all, because having appeared overbearingly clever at the start, the story eventually resolved itself using a massive 4 reset switches (by my count) - thereby equalling all of RTD's season finales on the "getting out of a corner by hand-waving" front in one mighty bound.

In other words, although we now have a Doctor who may arguably be the best of all time, a couple of passable companions* and the increasingly interesting River Song, and some great character moments (rather than the previous OTT you-will-emote-when-I-tell-you-to approach), we also had a plot that was, unfortunately, a galactic sized heap of bollocks.

I wondered why I felt quite happy with the finale in some ways, while simultaneously wanting to throw the TV out the window in others....

*Amy attempts to snog the Doctor twice on her wedding day, once before and once after she's married - is Moffat trying to make her as unlikeable as possible, or what?
Bearing in mind that the Doctor just got the Vashta Nerada to let him get everyone out of the library just by them finding out who/what he is (the same trick he pulled in The Eleventh Hour) and has used the timey wimey thing in Blink & Time Crash, it's no real surprise that the finale ended up as it did.

I don't see what all the fuss is about Amy attempting to kiss the Doctor twice on her wedding day (well once actually - the other time is just her saying that he's leaving without them having a snog in the shrubbery). She has flirted with the Doctor from Day One. To a degree I think it has developed from her infatutation with him at the start of the series to being more of a wind up on her part as she knows he's not going to react. Also, I think there was a real contrast between her behaviour with the Doctor and Rory. With the Doctor, it's much lighter in tone compared to being much more serious with Rory as highlighted by her snogging Rory once she remembers who he is and telling him that she'll never leave him or forget him again (even though he's already warned her that he'll kill her). There is a genuine difference in tone between those scenes - it is clear that Amy loves Rory - Rory knows Amy's relationship with the Doctor and doesn't feel threatened by it. Why then should the viewers - or are those complaining displaying their own insecurities...?
chap with wings

Shaving Foamasi wrote: Bearing in mind that the Doctor just got the Vashta Nerada to let him get everyone out of the library just by them finding out who/what he is (the same trick he pulled in The Eleventh Hour) and has used the timey wimey thing in Blink & Time Crash, it's no real surprise that the finale ended up as it did.
See, I have been saying this about Moffat for ages, here is the Moffat shopping list:

1: A strong female character
2: a young girl
3: Bits out of sequence (read "Timey Wimey")
4: A monster who isnt really a monster
5: a repeating catchphrase
6: a godlike Doctor
7: Everybody Lives.

So do these apply to The Pandorica Opens/Big Bang?
1: Check - River Song
2: Check - young Amy
3: Check - all the messing about with the Vortex manipulator
4: Check - Rory the Auton
5: Check - Dalek saying MERCY
6: Check - The "Hello Stonehenge" sequence
7: Check - the ending, actually an uber everybody lives, because Amy's parents come back to life as does The Doctor
"It can become a kind of franchise where it's not a real character at all, but just an amalgam of elements that people think are Doctor Who: a scarf, a bow tie... I wanted to be the actual Doctor Who." - Peter Capaldi

Follow me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/BlogFinish

My Big Finish Review Archive is here - http://blogfinishplanetmondas.blogspot.co.uk/
Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner

Everybody lives, and he really does mean everybody.

I love it when people defend Amy's coming on to the Doctor, even right under Rory's nose. I'm sure they'd love it if their partners chased after someone else in front of them :roll:

Shaving Foamasi

Mike Nuttall wrote:Everybody lives, and he really does mean everybody.

I love it when people defend Amy's coming on to the Doctor, even right under Rory's nose. I'm sure they'd love it if their partners chased after someone else in front of them :roll:
Ah but there you are, that's the crux of it. You are imprinting your view of the world on everyone else. Not everyone sees the world exactly the same way as you do. Rory is obviously very comfortable with his relationship with Amy as well as his understanding of the Doctor and his relationship with Amy.

Just because you don't feel comfortable about the thought of your loved one flirting with someone else, it doesn't mean that given a certain situation, as in the case here, other people would not have an issue. For example, it is funny how Rose is painted as being the creature of virtue in Doctor Who, but she was far more blatant in actually wanting to dump Mickey for the Doctor (remember the end of Rose when she left him on the pavement to run off with the Doctor or Boom Town or School Reunion when she was jealous about him joining the TARDIS crew) yet because RTD announced from the start that the Doctor & Rose's relationship was some kind of love story, it was OK. Amy has a full on flirt with the Doctor and she's unlikeable - apparently...

Return to “SERIES 5”

• Information