Doctor Who Season 5 Poll

What is your favourite story of season 5?

The Eleventh Hour
9%
The Beast Below
2%
Victory of the Daleks
3%
The Time of Angels/Flesh & Stone
26%
Vampires of Venice
3%
Amy's Choice
12%
The Hungry Earth/Cold Blood
5%
Vincent and the Doctor
23%
The Lodger
9%
The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang
8%

Total votes: 246
Shaving Foamasi

chap with wings wrote:
Shaving Foamasi wrote: Bearing in mind that the Doctor just got the Vashta Nerada to let him get everyone out of the library just by them finding out who/what he is (the same trick he pulled in The Eleventh Hour) and has used the timey wimey thing in Blink & Time Crash, it's no real surprise that the finale ended up as it did.
See, I have been saying this about Moffat for ages, here is the Moffat shopping list:

1: A strong female character
2: a young girl
3: Bits out of sequence (read "Timey Wimey")
4: A monster who isnt really a monster
5: a repeating catchphrase
6: a godlike Doctor
7: Everybody Lives.

So do these apply to The Pandorica Opens/Big Bang?
1: Check - River Song
2: Check - young Amy
3: Check - all the messing about with the Vortex manipulator
4: Check - Rory the Auton
5: Check - Dalek saying MERCY
6: Check - The "Hello Stonehenge" sequence
7: Check - the ending, actually an uber everybody lives, because Amy's parents come back to life as does The Doctor
Ed you are not wrong, although you missed out taking something mundane and making it scary - Moff does that all the time too - but RTD did his own shopping list of features as well. The interchangeable "mothers-in-law", the same season structure 4 times in a row, the same finale rewritten 5 times, culminating in The End of Time, the Lonely Angel/God Doctor - in fact you could easily say that The Moff's Godlike Doctor is inherited directly from RTD.

It just comes down to whether you purposely let these things get in the way of you enjoying the episode in front of you. The only one that grates for me is the "everyone lives" motif. Just let someone die for Chrissakes! :twisted:
You mean you believed the Doctor would never regenerate into a woman?
chap with wings

I think you can trace the godlike Doctor back even further to season 25 and the Cartmel Masterplan, that deleted scene where he tells Davros he is more than just another timelord give me chills every time.
"It can become a kind of franchise where it's not a real character at all, but just an amalgam of elements that people think are Doctor Who: a scarf, a bow tie... I wanted to be the actual Doctor Who." - Peter Capaldi

Follow me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/BlogFinish

My Big Finish Review Archive is here - http://blogfinishplanetmondas.blogspot.co.uk/
Shaving Foamasi

chap with wings wrote:I think you can trace the godlike Doctor back even further to season 25 and the Cartmel Masterplan, that deleted scene where he tells Davros he is more than just another timelord give me chills every time.
Or the "Who are you, Professor?" line followed by the enigmatic smile from Silver Nemesis? You may wel be right Ed!
chap with wings

Shaving Foamasi wrote:
Mike Nuttall wrote:Everybody lives, and he really does mean everybody.

I love it when people defend Amy's coming on to the Doctor, even right under Rory's nose. I'm sure they'd love it if their partners chased after someone else in front of them :roll:
Ah but there you are, that's the crux of it. You are imprinting your view of the world on everyone else. Not everyone sees the world exactly the same way as you do. Rory is obviously very comfortable with his relationship with Amy as well as his understanding of the Doctor and his relationship with Amy.

Just because you don't feel comfortable about the thought of your loved one flirting with someone else, it doesn't mean that given a certain situation, as in the case here, other people would not have an issue. For example, it is funny how Rose is painted as being the creature of virtue in Doctor Who, but she was far more blatant in actually wanting to dump Mickey for the Doctor (remember the end of Rose when she left him on the pavement to run off with the Doctor or Boom Town or School Reunion when she was jealous about him joining the TARDIS crew) yet because RTD announced from the start that the Doctor & Rose's relationship was some kind of love story, it was OK. Amy has a full on flirt with the Doctor and she's unlikeable - apparently...
Diiference is, Rose and Mickey werent about to get married. :lol:
"It can become a kind of franchise where it's not a real character at all, but just an amalgam of elements that people think are Doctor Who: a scarf, a bow tie... I wanted to be the actual Doctor Who." - Peter Capaldi

My Big Finish Review Archive is here - http://blogfinishplanetmondas.blogspot.co.uk/
Shaving Foamasi

If it wasn't for RTD introducing the ridiculous concept of a Time Lord who lies about his age (900 really?) being interested in a 19 year old chavvy shop girl or even that daft US film having him snog an American doctor then all this would be academic , as we'd all just say "ah yeah, but we know the Doctor doesn't do this kind of thing" :shock:
xylok b

I'm afraid i must disagree the Pandorica Opens was classic who and i mean classic, River Song was excellent and LIKEABLE, we had a menagerie of monsters, great acting, Vincent Van Gogh and an awesome cliffhanger, the Big Bang in my opinion was a massive anti-climax and River was increasingly annoying in it.
Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner

I enjoyed TPO, but it soon went downhill with TBB.

Before the titles rolled my beloved said "I'm confused already, is it all like this?" :?
The best chance for achieving peace and prosperity, for the maximum number of people worldwide, is to pursue the cause of liberty.

If you find this to be a worthwhile message, spread it throughout the land.
chap with wings

If anyone hasnt voted, the poll will be closing in one weeks time.

image45
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

chap with wings wrote:If anyone hasnt voted, the poll will be closing in one weeks time.
Your making me wish I could have another go Ed, just to help my top story along to the winners line!!!
O-Ren Ishii: You didn't think it was gonna be that easy, did you?
The Bride: You know, for a second there, yeah, I kinda did.
O-Ren Ishii: Silly rabbit.
Dave Ross

It was always going to be a fight between the Angels two-parter and the Van Gogh episode. I didn't think Victory of the Daleks was going to win
:Dalek:
Today, the Kaled race is ended, consumed in a fire of war, but, from it's ashes will rise a new race. The supreme creature. The ultimate conqueror of the universe - the Dalek!
paulw

Victory is pretty good until the Dr goes up to the Dalek ship then it gets silly with the Teletubbie Daleks.
image45
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

Not long to go then till we see the winner, most fun indeed what will it be!!!!!!!!!!

:K9 spin:
xylok b

Surley Vincent and the doctor had more character depth than the weeping angels story :Blink:
Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner

xylok b wrote:Surley Vincent and the doctor had more character depth than the weeping angels story :Blink:
I agree. The Angels two-parter was pretty good but it's nowehere near as good as Vincent and the Doctor.
The best chance for achieving peace and prosperity, for the maximum number of people worldwide, is to pursue the cause of liberty.

markhuk
Styles Moderator
Styles Moderator

Mike Nuttall wrote:I enjoyed TPO, but it soon went downhill with TBB.

Before the titles rolled my beloved said "I'm confused already, is it all like this?" :?
I thought the Big Bang was superb, the first season finale since the shows return that didnt have a moment that made me cringe, an episode that actually followed the logic that had been set out since the beginning of the season and gave us the only resolution that made any kind of sense.

Yes everybody lived but thats a good thing surely ?

Personally I like it when the hero sves the day.
Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner

I'm always interested in what my beloved has to say about the new episodes, being a casual viewers and not a fan. TBB got a very lukewarm reception. It was 'far too confusing' and 'wasn't very exciting'. I disagree up to a point but it has to be said I loved all RTD's finales (apart from the last twenty minutes or so of Journey's End) and this felt much more low-key.

LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

markhuk wrote:Yes everybody lived but thats a good thing surely ?
it reduces the threat, so you don't feel that it was quite so big to start with.
markhuk wrote:Personally I like it when the hero sves the day.
That's completely different. Even the Doctor rarely saves everyone - well except when Moffat's writing the script.

Terry Nation had the right idea here.
image45
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

LizR wrote:
markhuk wrote:Yes everybody lived but thats a good thing surely ?
it reduces the threat, so you don't feel that it was quite so big to start with.
markhuk wrote:Personally I like it when the hero sves the day.
That's completely different. Even the Doctor rarely saves everyone - well except when Moffat's writing the script.

So who/what did you vote for then???????

:Cyberman:
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

image45 wrote:
LizR wrote:That's completely different. Even the Doctor rarely saves everyone - well except when Moffat's writing the script.

If you mean in this poll, I voted for "The Eleventh Hour".
image45
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

LizR wrote:
image45 wrote:
LizR wrote:That's completely different. Even the Doctor rarely saves everyone - well except when Moffat's writing the script.

If you mean in this poll, I voted for "The Eleventh Hour".
Yes in this poll, I never had you down as an 'Eleventh Hour' vote. Opening stories are often left of favourite lists.

I can see why Jon Pertwee's opener is still held so high with classic series fans!

Return to “SERIES 5”

• Information