New Daleks

zvictor1

Hi all I don't know if this has already being mentioned, what do people think of the new tall and fat new Daleks? I really hate them I prefur the old gold ones better. I really hate the look of the new ones.
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

zvictor1 wrote:Hi all I don't know if this has already being mentioned, what do people think of the new tall and fat new Daleks? I really hate them I prefur the old gold ones better. I really hate the look of the new ones.
You are not alone...
Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner

LizR wrote:
zvictor1 wrote:Hi all I don't know if this has already being mentioned, what do people think of the new tall and fat new Daleks? I really hate them I prefur the old gold ones better. I really hate the look of the new ones.
You are not alone...
I am here with you...
The best chance for achieving peace and prosperity, for the maximum number of people worldwide, is to pursue the cause of liberty.

If you find this to be a worthwhile message, spread it throughout the land.
steamhead

To me, they're like the BMW Mini, they've taken the basic idea, and bloated it up.

I have to say I was a little mixed on the idea until I saw one in the flesh (so to speak), and the sheer scale of them does make the older ones look a little inferior. But I think the older ones looked more substantial and less cartoon like.

One thing I do like though is the return to the use of colours, I always loved the old Dalek movies for that ;-)
chesterfield

I hate them too. The RTD versions are excellant so I'd rather they hadn't been changed at all but if they had to be surely they could have come up with something better than they did. They resemble cheap plastic toys and that's why they were changed: to sell more toys.
chesterfield

steamhead wrote:To me, they're like the BMW Mini, they've taken the basic idea, and bloated it up.

I have to say I was a little mixed on the idea until I saw one in the flesh (so to speak), and the sheer scale of them does make the older ones look a little inferior. But I think the older ones looked more substantial and less cartoon like.

One thing I do like though is the return to the use of colours, I always loved the old Dalek movies for that ;-)
I love the movie Daleks. It's not the colours of the new ones I dislike it's the design and the fact is there was nothing wrong with the old ones at least they were in proportion.
ianj
The Dominator
The Dominator

VOLVO-Daleks. F************** dreadful, really sh*te. ONLY done to snidely sell the licensing for toys.
markhuk

I like them.
A perfect way for them to move on from the mad religious movement that RTD had turned them into, you couldnt leave them as they were - because he had set them up as universe threatening creatures in every story - and in every story they were "utterly" wiped out - only for this to be proven wrong every time they reappear.
Victory has taken them back to the original concept - empire builders - not each story having them threatening to conquer the universe.

Appearance wise - yeah theyre ok - I have no problem with the appearance of them - whilst I like the gold Daleks the rivet look all round them made them look a bit primative - hardly in keeping with the ultimate killing machine description.
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

As Raymond P. Cusick and I have mentioned elsewhere :D the Daleks should look like they're made using some mysterious alien tech, i.e. they should NOT have rivets and look like they were put together in someone's shed. So RTD got that wrong, in our humble opinion. But the new design makes them too large, when part of their alienness was that they were quite small (compared to a person -- when the new Daleks visit their old cities, how will they get through the doors?!)

Basically, RTD got the shape right but the "texture" wrong (and of course made them behave rather unlike the Daleks of old, but that's another story...) while Moffat has reversed that - wrong shape, right alien looking material.
Kajaboy

The poor guys inside are having trouble moving them around too. They have too much space and can't get a knee grip on anything.
My next door neighbour mixed up her KY jelly with the superglue. I asked her how she managed that but her lips are sealed.
ianj
The Dominator
The Dominator

Ray is disgusted with the new ones.
markhuk

ianj wrote:Ray is disgusted with the new ones.
How do you know this?
The Nimon

They're not too bad, I'd rather wait until we get to see them in some decent action before judging them
The Judge Judy of Planet Mondax
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

markhuk wrote:
How do you know this?
Not directly relevant, but here are his comments on the "blingy gold" Daleks...

"I have mixed feelings about the new Doctor Who. Like so much TV it is all very fast and furious – made for people with low attention spans. I wish it were a bit more of a properly paced drama. The Daleks aren’t that changed apart from being made gold. My original intention was for them to be sleek and made to appear as if they had been contracted of a thin but strong alien material. By adding lots of rivets and making the Dalek ‘tank like’ I think the designer has moved away from that and made them a bit clumsy and as if they are out of the 1930s."
markhuk

LizR wrote: "I have mixed feelings about the new Doctor Who. Like so much TV it is all very fast and furious – made for people with low attention spans. I wish it were a bit more of a properly paced drama. The Daleks aren’t that changed apart from being made gold. My original intention was for them to be sleek and made to appear as if they had been contracted of a thin but strong alien material. By adding lots of rivets and making the Dalek ‘tank like’ I think the designer has moved away from that and made them a bit clumsy and as if they are out of the 1930s."
They do have a bit of a steampunk thing going on - but I have to say I do quite like them
The Nimon

LizR wrote:
markhuk wrote:
How do you know this?
Not directly relevant, but here are his comments on the "blingy gold" Daleks...

"I have mixed feelings about the new Doctor Who. Like so much TV it is all very fast and furious – made for people with low attention spans. I wish it were a bit more of a properly paced drama. The Daleks aren’t that changed apart from being made gold. My original intention was for them to be sleek and made to appear as if they had been contracted of a thin but strong alien material. By adding lots of rivets and making the Dalek ‘tank like’ I think the designer has moved away from that and made them a bit clumsy and as if they are out of the 1930s."

Yes Ive heard he'd said that about eh RTD ones, he should be happyer with the newer ones as they don't have the rivets showing
Kajaboy

The Nimon wrote:They're not too bad, I'd rather wait until we get to see them in some decent action before judging them
Well if the operators can't move them from the inside I'm thinking there will be very little action. :?
My next door neighbour mixed up her KY jelly with the superglue. I asked her how she managed that but her lips are sealed.
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

RTD Daleks with a Moffat finish would be good (i.e. original shape, but a bit sharper angles, with a smooth exterior)
The Nimon

Kajaboy wrote:
The Nimon wrote:They're not too bad, I'd rather wait until we get to see them in some decent action before judging them
Well if the operators can't move them from the inside I'm thinking there will be very little action. :?

They'll have to get those little legs moving a bit quicker then :lol:

Pity the late great John Scott Martin is about to show these new ones how to do it
markhuk

The Nimon wrote:
Kajaboy wrote:

They'll have to get those little legs moving a bit quicker then :lol:

Pity the late great John Scott Martin is about to show these new ones how to do it
Just put bigger guys in - problem solved

small daleks - small operators

bigger Daleks - bigger operators

Return to “SERIES 5”

• Information