New Daleks

markhuk

paulhickling wrote:Well, nothing to argue with there except the quality, for me, in those RTD era Moff stories.

But bringing this thread neatly back to it's core subject those new 'Daleks' are bloody awful. I too have seen far better re-imaginings around the web, many of which keep many elements that prevent them looking un-Dalek like. That's the biggest crime here. First off the rivets were a problem, coming from Cusick himself. So why not just take the damn things off? But as for giving them such big backends, making them look fat, bulky and downright ugly is unforgivable. The rivets were artistic licence to help make fibre glass props look metallic and heavy duty. It worked. They look great. The rivets were no more a problem than dirtied non-atmosphere going spaceships with the same odd sense of logic. We know it's wrong, but it looks right.

Now they look like inaccurate toys from a bygone era when toys weren't meant to be accurate models, so they just made a reasonable stab for something likey to be played with in the sand and soil. Don't make them sleek, or smart/cool looking. Make them look as stupid as possible, like something out of a really dumb kids show.

Don't know which is worse. The new Daleks or man sized vultures.
Whilst this is one of the better critiques of the new Daleks I couldnt disagree with it more - as with all things its down to personal choice -mself I like them and really cant understand why theres such a fuss about them the backs different - definately a distortion of the basic shape but other than that I dont see too much of a difference, they look like Daleks - and lets be honest even with the differences they look like Daleks, they sound like Daleks and even from the small time weve seen them on screen they act more like Daleks than RTDs did - if they carry on in this vein I'll be very happy.

The Man sized muppet vultures are worse - but then again it really is a kids programme
paulhickling
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

Of course it is down to personal choice, but I think it's telling that most seem to hate the new design. It would be one thing for DWM to have a lot of complaints, but the Radio Times? That sort of tells me it's more than a handfull of die-hards that this ugly design upsets., and you said it yourself, they've DISTORTED that classic iconic design, without improving it. Change the Cybermen fine, it's part of their tradition. I hated RTD's red supreme for the same reason, but at least as with the various emperors, and the special weapons one, at there was only one.

My problem with SJA generally is that it's TOO kiddified for my tastes. I don't quite understand why they do it when the same kids watch Doctor Who which isn't like that, so why the need? I tend to take notice when they do these cross-overs which are partly done, surely, to grab a few more adult viewers, so what do they do? Stick leftovers from Rod Hull in there! Shame, 'cause I'm really looking forward to the rest of it.
markhuk

paulhickling wrote:Of course it is down to personal choice, but I think it's telling that most seem to hate the new design. It would be one thing for DWM to have a lot of complaints, but the Radio Times? That sort of tells me it's more than a handfull of die-hards that this ugly design upsets., and you said it yourself, they've DISTORTED that classic iconic design, without improving it. Change the Cybermen fine, it's part of their tradition. I hated RTD's red supreme for the same reason, but at least as with the various emperors, and the special weapons one, at there was only one.

I did say altered - but didnt say hadnt been improved on, and Ive seen plenty of letters/postings from people who do like the new design.
Now the Dalek Supreme - loathed that , same with the new Cybermen

My problem with SJA generally is that it's TOO kiddified for my tastes. I don't quite understand why they do it when the same kids watch Doctor Who which isn't like that, so why the need? I tend to take notice when they do these cross-overs which are partly done, surely, to grab a few more adult viewers, so what do they do? Stick leftovers from Rod Hull in there! Shame, 'cause I'm really looking forward to the rest of it.
Agreed - I think theyve gone a little bit too far in the kiddification of it - fairly sure thats not a real word
image45
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

markhuk wrote: Whilst this is one of the better critiques of the new Daleks I couldnt disagree with it more - as with all things its down to personal choice -mself I like them and really cant understand why theres such a fuss about them the backs different - definately a distortion of the basic shape but other than that I dont see too much of a difference, they look like Daleks - and lets be honest even with the differences they look like Daleks, they sound like Daleks and even from the small time weve seen them on screen they act more like Daleks than RTDs did - if they carry on in this vein I'll be very happy.

The Man sized muppet vultures are worse - but then again it really is a kids programme
I think it’s due to the fact that they are Doctor Who’s first real monster from a Doctor Vs enemy concept and their final appearance is linked to three factors, Nations script in how he described them, then how Raymond Cusick thought this would look on a visual graphic drawn level and then finally how they were made by Shawcroft models. The first Daleks, all four of them, were a huge success as we now know and take for granted. At the time when the Daleks was first broadcast they were at once unexpected, menacing and convincingly realised for the time. This design concept has remained relatively unchanged since this time so I assume many are finding the new versions just too much removed from the originals to accept sadly, like I am finding.
O-Ren Ishii: You didn't think it was gonna be that easy, did you?
The Bride: You know, for a second there, yeah, I kinda did.
O-Ren Ishii: Silly rabbit.
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

markhuk wrote:as with all things its down to personal choice -mself I like them and really cant understand why theres such a fuss about them the backs different - definately a distortion of the basic shape but other than that I dont see too much of a difference, they look like Daleks - and lets be honest even with the differences they look like Daleks, they sound like Daleks and even from the small time weve seen them on screen they act more like Daleks than RTDs did - if they carry on in this vein I'll be very happy.
Yes, that last comment is particularly true. But it isn't just the back that's wrong, the midsection is also way larger than it used to be. Obviously you can't not realise they're Daleks! ("Hmm, they look like squashed mechanoids....or are they large, colourful Chumblies...no, wait, I know - they're supposed to be Daleks! Silly me!") I would have personally preferred Daleks that retained the "classic" shape, but with the new livery (is that the right word?) Kind of like the Cushing movie ones but with a more hi-tech look, I guess.

So, no new Dalek icon yet?! :Dalek:
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

However, funny shaped Daleks are hardly new -- we've had the special weapons one and the emperor (in various incarnations)...........so perhaps those ones were just the new leader caste? Maybe there are some more normal shaped ones waiting to appear? (If Moffat has any sense.....!)
paulhickling
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

Moff's already said that the old ones are staying, and that the new ones now are the 'officer' class, and when they come around again, there'll be lots of different ones. Backtracking, or was it always the case? We might never know. "It's just a prop" was one quote, which I find difficult even hearing RTD say. At least his (yes horrible) red Supreme was a one-off like those others mentioned earlier.

For me, and yes I am stuck in my ways with this one, a Supreme should be black! If they want to emulate the sixties movies don't they realise the red one in both was more of a lieutenant?!
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

paulhickling wrote:Moff's already said that the old ones are staying
ianj
The Dominator
The Dominator

I want to know why those Henry's are always smiling......
chesterfield

ianj wrote:I want to know why those Henry's are always smiling......
I think I can see where you're going with this one :lol:
xylok b

I actually don't mind the new Daleks, but i don't know how they're going to bring back the RTD Daleks alongside the new progenitor boys !
Can we possibly maybe have a progenitor dalek smily please ?
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

chesterfield wrote:
ianj wrote:I want to know why those Henry's are always smiling......
I think I can see where you're going with this one :lol:
"I'm just a sucker for your love!"

(No, it's a song from "The Monster Club" :? )

Return to “SERIES 5”

• Information