New Daleks

The Nimon

markhuk wrote:
The Nimon wrote:
Kajaboy wrote:
The Nimon wrote:They're not too bad, I'd rather wait until we get to see them in some decent action before judging them
Well if the operators can't move them from the inside I'm thinking there will be very little action. :?

They'll have to get those little legs moving a bit quicker then :lol:

Pity the late great John Scott Martin is about to show these new ones how to do it
Just put bigger guys in - problem solved

small daleks - small operators

bigger Daleks - bigger operators

Now that's what i want to see omn Doctor who confidential next year, Obese Dalek operators, We'd be doing a public service as they'd surley lose weight. "What's that weasing groaning sound? is it the Tardis or the blokes inside the Daleks" :lol:
The Judge Judy of Planet Mondax
Kajaboy

markhuk wrote:
The Nimon wrote:
Kajaboy wrote:
The Nimon wrote:They're not too bad, I'd rather wait until we get to see them in some decent action before judging them
Well if the operators can't move them from the inside I'm thinking there will be very little action. :?

They'll have to get those little legs moving a bit quicker then :lol:

Pity the late great John Scott Martin is about to show these new ones how to do it
Just put bigger guys in - problem solved

small daleks - small operators

bigger Daleks - bigger operators
It's not just the extra room inside but the weight of the them too. I'm sure they can be modified to make them easier to use.
My next door neighbour mixed up her KY jelly with the superglue. I asked her how she managed that but her lips are sealed.
abominable snowman

The new Daleks are rubbish an absolute credibility disaster for the show. I like Ray Cusick but I can't take him seriously after I saw his Dalek redesigns which were just silly.
ianj
The Dominator
The Dominator

Ray Cusick didnt design the new ones; Mark Gatiss and the production team headed by Moffatt decided to change them.
abominable snowman

ianj wrote:Ray Cusick didnt design the new ones; Mark Gatiss and the production team headed by Moffatt decided to change them.
Sorry ianj I meant that Ray Cusick had criticised the RTD Daleks because they had rivets and he thought they looked like tanks but the new designs he came up with were ten times worse and didn't even look like Daleks.
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

abominable snowman wrote:
ianj wrote:Ray Cusick didnt design the new ones; Mark Gatiss and the production team headed by Moffatt decided to change them.
Sorry ianj I meant that Ray Cusick had criticised the RTD Daleks because they had rivets and he thought they looked like tanks but the new designs he came up with were ten times worse and didn't even look like Daleks.
Which new designs did RC come up with?
Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner

LizR wrote:
abominable snowman wrote:
Which new designs did RC come up with?
Was it Ray Cusick?
The best chance for achieving peace and prosperity, for the maximum number of people worldwide, is to pursue the cause of liberty.

If you find this to be a worthwhile message, spread it throughout the land.
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Surely Ray Cusick didn't come up with the new day-glo Daleks??? :o
paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

The new Daleks aren't from Cusick. They're Ed Thomas's designs I'd have thought. What a parting gift! But I have felt, since seeing the piece on The Chase dvd, that Ed may have taken Ray's rivet comments to heart. But surely taking the rivets off didn't have to mean redesigning them, especially to look big, fat and clumsy? He obviously didn't read the bit from the earlier quote about being SLEEK.

A friend was at an event recently where Mark Gatiss claimed "don't blame me for the new Daleks, they weren't my idea". Maybe the progenitor was only supposed to create a massive new army, and Moffat saw a chance to change them. What a shame they spent the money on a few truly awful props, instead of a bit of cgi to create thousands.

I can forgive RTD very easily for eschewing the fictional technological backwards step logically speaking, in favour of something visually impressive. His Daleks do look like tanks, metallic and heavy duty. Doesn't RTD have a background in design? This could explain him not rubber stamping rubbish while Moff can't see the problem.

The Cybermen likewise, while less fluidly mobile they look for once actually made of metal. Of course the excuse there was also probably that the new ones were the product of early 21st technology albeit on an alternate Earth. Again though, that last point does at least show a desire on RTD's part to address the issue. A throwaway line true, but addressed just the same.

Mind you, RTD did give us the red Supreme, which simply sported naff looking apendages spoiling the proper look. Otherwise, though red, it still looked metallic and in that respect more credible than the new 'blimps'. Once again though that too smacked of BBC interference regarding Christmas toys.
Dave Ross

paulhickling wrote:The new Daleks aren't from Cusick. They're Ed Thomas's designs I'd have thought. What a parting gift! But I have felt, since seeing the piece on The Chase dvd, that Ed may have taken Ray's rivet comments to heart. But surely taking the rivets off didn't have to mean redesigning them, especially to look big, fat and clumsy? He obviously didn't read the bit from the earlier quote about being SLEEK.

A friend was at an event recently where Mark Gatiss claimed "don't blame me for the new Daleks, they weren't my idea". Maybe the progenitor was only supposed to create a massive new army, and Moffat saw a chance to change them. What a shame they spent the money on a few truly awful props, instead of a bit of cgi to create thousands.

I can forgive RTD very easily for eschewing the fictional technological backwards step logically speaking, in favour of something visually impressive. His Daleks do look like tanks, metallic and heavy duty. Doesn't RTD have a background in design? This could explain him not rubber stamping rubbish while Moff can't see the problem.

The Cybermen likewise, while less fluidly mobile they look for once actually made of metal. Of course the excuse there was also probably that the new ones were the product of early 21st technology albeit on an alternate Earth. Again though, that last point does at least show a desire on RTD's part to address the issue. A throwaway line true, but addressed just the same.

Mind you, RTD did give us the red Supreme, which simply sported naff looking apendages spoiling the proper look. Otherwise, though red, it still looked metallic and in that respect more credible than the new 'blimps'. Once again though that too smacked of BBC interference regarding Christmas toys.
The new Daleks would have been designed by Ed Thomas and as you say, what a parting gift!

I can see what RTD was trying to do with his original Dalek re-design, he wanted to make them sleeker and sturdier than the classic series ones, and he suceeded in that in my opinion. I never had a problem with the rivets and the tank-look as the Dalek machine was intended to be a travel/war machine right from the start so it's not a radical move away from what Ray Cusick originally envisaged. The new Daleks are a radical departure and not in a good way. I agree that RTD had a better eye for design than Moffat seems to have, personally I think RTD wouldn't have approved the new design in the first place for obvious reasons. Interesting that even Mark Gatiss acknowledges how unhappy most fans are with them, as a fan he's probably not particularly happy with them himself, and as a writer he's probably irritated that his story was eclipsed by the row about them. I blame the BBC, it's obvious they wanted new Daleks to sell more toys and artistically it backfired. It's bad news for Moffat as well because his first year in charge will be remembered more for the design mistakes than the stories.
Today, the Kaled race is ended, consumed in a fire of war, but, from it's ashes will rise a new race. The supreme creature. The ultimate conqueror of the universe - the Dalek!
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

paulhickling wrote:The Cybermen likewise, while less fluidly mobile they look for once actually made of metal. Of course the excuse there was also probably that the new ones were the product of early 21st technology albeit on an alternate Earth. Again though, that last point does at least show a desire on RTD's part to address the issue. A throwaway line true, but addressed just the same.
I always preferred the ones who looked as though they were made of something flexible, with added machinery - e.g. the ones in "Tomb" - to me they look more like cyborgs, as surely was the intention, rather than just robots.
chesterfield

LizR wrote:
paulhickling wrote:The Cybermen likewise, while less fluidly mobile they look for once actually made of metal. Of course the excuse there was also probably that the new ones were the product of early 21st technology albeit on an alternate Earth. Again though, that last point does at least show a desire on RTD's part to address the issue. A throwaway line true, but addressed just the same.
I always preferred the ones who looked as though they were made of something flexible, with added machinery - e.g. the ones in "Tomb" - to me they look more like cyborgs, as surely was the intention, rather than just robots.
The old Cybermen looked as though they were a fusion of organic and cyborg which was explained in the first script and the body horror aspect of them was neglected over the decades. At least RTD made an effort to bring that aspect of them out again even if I thought it was a mistake to reinvent the Cybermen in an alternative universe with a different backstory. I'd like to see the 'our universe' Cybermen back rather than the flaired-trousered c-chested ones we've had over the last few years.
Dave Ross

chesterfield wrote:
LizR wrote:
The old Cybermen looked as though they were a fusion of organic and cyborg which was explained in the first script and the body horror aspect of them was neglected over the decades. At least RTD made an effort to bring that aspect of them out again even if I thought it was a mistake to reinvent the Cybermen in an alternative universe with a different backstory. I'd like to see the 'our universe' Cybermen back rather than the flaired-trousered c-chested ones we've had over the last few years.
The RTD Daleks were an improvement whereas the RTD Cybermen were not. I didn't like the flared trouser look or the "C" on the chest and the stomping around thing was ridiculous. Bring back the Cybermen from this universe!
Today, the Kaled race is ended, consumed in a fire of war, but, from it's ashes will rise a new race. The supreme creature. The ultimate conqueror of the universe - the Dalek!
The Nimon

Bring back David Banks "Excellent" :Cyberman:
The Judge Judy of Planet Mondax
xylok b

Like i've said before they've got to make them more scarier dare i say more horrific so they can be on par with the weeping angels.
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

xylok b wrote:Like i've said before they've got to make them more scarier dare i say more horrific so they can be on par with the weeping angels.
Exactly. If they can do it for the Angels, arguably at least as restricted as the Daleks, why not?
zvictor1

I too also hate the new Cybermen and i prefur the Cybermen from The Moonbase and I also like the voices they had in The Moonbase. The voices they have now are similar to ones in The Invasion.
aggedor

I'm in the minority of fans who prefer the 80's voices to the 60's ones. The Cyberman voices in ROTC/TAOS were practically inaudible! "Maximum deletion" :roll:
THE DALEK SUPREME

Steven Moffat says we haven't seen the last of the old Daleks

“The fact is, we’re not going to lose the old Daleks. We’re keeping them. They’re coming back. We’ll just use them all at once, and have different ranks. All I’ve done is give the Daleks an officer class.”

This sheds some new light on an earlier quote by Moffat who said when they return

“There will be lots of different kinds.”

http://doctorwhotv.co.uk/moffat-old-dal ... k-9953.htm
chesterfield

THE DALEK SUPREME wrote:Steven Moffat says we haven't seen the last of the old Daleks

“The fact is, we’re not going to lose the old Daleks. We’re keeping them. They’re coming back. We’ll just use them all at once, and have different ranks. All I’ve done is give the Daleks an officer class.”

This sheds some new light on an earlier quote by Moffat who said when they return

“There will be lots of different kinds.”

http://doctorwhotv.co.uk/moffat-old-dal ... k-9953.htm
:Dalek: Get rid of the silly new ones and bring the old ones back full-time! :Dalek:

Return to “SERIES 5”

• Information