New Daleks

chesterfield

The new Daleks considered the old Daleks impure and inferior and exterminated them last time we saw them together?
ianj
The Dominator
The Dominator

Sounds like rapid backtracking to me, after the appalling reception the "teletubbie" Volvo-daleks recieved. Good, get rid of the new ones altogether.
The Nimon

Better still bring back the 60s Daleks
The Judge Judy of Planet Mondax
Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner

THE DALEK SUPREME wrote:Steven Moffat says we haven't seen the last of the old Daleks

“The fact is, we’re not going to lose the old Daleks. We’re keeping them. They’re coming back. We’ll just use them all at once, and have different ranks. All I’ve done is give the Daleks an officer class.”

This sheds some new light on an earlier quote by Moffat who said when they return

“There will be lots of different kinds.”

http://doctorwhotv.co.uk/moffat-old-dal ... k-9953.htm
HOORAY!
The best chance for achieving peace and prosperity, for the maximum number of people worldwide, is to pursue the cause of liberty.

If you find this to be a worthwhile message, spread it throughout the land.
paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

But the thing that both new Who Daleks AND Cybermen have in common is that they have both been designed to look impressive. That's the first and most important thing, that they have visual presence. With the Daleks RTD is like us. He wants them to be the same, but heavy duty, metallic and look as if they mean business. The rivets were just that bit over the top, but the motivation was right. The idea is to make them look metal and substantial.

Cybermen, same but different. Again, first stop :impressive, and dramatic. Yes they look more like robots. But it's the first time the ENTIRE body has been attended to. Designed. No wetsuits sprayed silver here. Clunky means a backward step technologically speaking within the fiction, which is probably why RTD set it more in the present AND on an alternative Earth, thereby sidestepping ANY argument. Plus stick in a comment from the Doc about there being Cybermen in our universe and he's covered all bases. They are a backward step besause they were made in the 21st century. But they do look all metal.

RTD knows his Who mythology. The Daleks have remained basically the same, the Cybermen have always changed every so often. He thus gets away with more with the latter. And there's been nothing to say the Cybermen can't change, and meet their this-universe cousins. Maybe they already have. Where did they get the technology to build that juggernaught class Cyberking??!!
Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner

ianj wrote:Sounds like rapid backtracking to me, after the appalling reception the "teletubbie" Volvo-daleks recieved. Good, get rid of the new ones altogether.
RTD would never have signed off on those new Daleks.
The best chance for achieving peace and prosperity, for the maximum number of people worldwide, is to pursue the cause of liberty.

markhuk
Styles Moderator
Styles Moderator

Mike Nuttall wrote:
ianj wrote:Sounds like rapid backtracking to me, after the appalling reception the "teletubbie" Volvo-daleks recieved. Good, get rid of the new ones altogether.
rubbish
he signed off the ridiculous red supreme which was much more of a shape change than the new ones

and while were on his dodgy design decisions theres the dreadful round console and the hopeless Cybermen in their flared trousers

and at least Victory had Daleks acting like Daleks unlike practically every RTD Dalek story
Mike Nuttall
Site Owner
Site Owner

markhuk wrote:
Mike Nuttall wrote:
rubbish
Hopefully we can aspire to a higher standard of debate than this :lol:

markhuk
Styles Moderator
Styles Moderator

Mike Nuttall wrote:
markhuk wrote:
Mike Nuttall wrote:
rubbish
I see no problem with the reply - it is a bizarre statement to say RTD would not have signed off on the new shape Daleks given his own questionable judgment on some of the creations spawned in his time in charge
THE DALEK SUPREME

markhuk wrote:
Mike Nuttall wrote:
markhuk wrote:
Mike Nuttall wrote:
rubbish
I see no problem with the reply - it is a bizarre statement to say RTD would not have signed off on the new shape Daleks given his own questionable judgment on some of the creations spawned in his time in charge
Rubbish! :lol: :lol: :lol:
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Mike Nuttall wrote:
markhuk wrote:
Mike Nuttall wrote:
rubbish
Well, markhuk DID give his reasons, too, Mike!

FWIW I think the Human Dalek was one of the worst design decisions in "Dr Who" ever (especially given the improved technology nowadays). Presumably RTD signed off on that. He's also on record as saying he wants to make DW more like Pop Idol or whatever (I can't recall exactly what he said, but some of it has shown appallingly bad "design" for the entire programme....I'll dig up something if anyone disputes this.)
markhuk
Styles Moderator
Styles Moderator

and lets not forget the Cyber King
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

markhuk wrote:and lets not forget the Cyber King
God yes! And the Tritovores...
Kajaboy

LizR wrote:FWIW I think the Human Dalek was one of the worst design decisions in "Dr Who" ever....
I do remember thinking, that looks like something you would buy in a shop in SOHO. :shock:
My next door neighbour mixed up her KY jelly with the superglue. I asked her how she managed that but her lips are sealed.
markhuk
Styles Moderator
Styles Moderator

Scrub that lets ALL try to forget the Cyber King
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

And the Adipose.
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

And the Absorbaloff...
markhuk
Styles Moderator
Styles Moderator

LizR wrote:And the Adipose.
Oh god yes - now that was a bloody awful idea
Kamelion

RTD may know his Doctor Who mythology but he is utterly inept at expanding it to incorporate any new monsters or villains that have such longevity. Only one I can think of is the Angels - hardly satisfactory in 5 years output
"..and who knows when it will end..."
paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

markhuk wrote:
Scrub that lets ALL try to forget the Cyber King
Like the Cyber-King. A great sequence. Finally, a convincing giant robot. Would look great in any monster movie, just pure giant monster excitement. Kids everywhere will have loved it, including big ones like me. Also has a terrific bit of scoring by Mr Gold.

Return to “SERIES 5”

• Information