The 13th Doctor's Rig-Out...

Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

thecypher wrote:
-JMW- wrote:
thecypher wrote:It's a foreshadowing of what Series 11 will be in terms of quality.. :lol:
Let's hope so. Out with the old, in with the new.
I dunno what's worse, an old cowpat or a fresh one.. :floorroll:
Nah, it’s not polished.
-JMW-

Servorobot wrote:Nah, it’s not polished.
You can't polish a turd....but you can throw glitter on it! :D

grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

JMW
Former Team Member

I've made a poll on the topic as suggested by Cygnus Prime.
The Doctor died with Capaldi. The Chibnall era is non-canon.

There are no Doctors before William Hartnell.

Without respect, we reject.

#NotmyDoctor
shuzbot

Bloody hell...
Bowtiesarecool
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

Ian Levine's thoughts on the new outfit.
Ian Levine‏ @IanLevine

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me this is a REALLY bad joke.
Are the BBC trying to intentionally ruin and take the piss out of Doctor Who.
It's so stupid it can only be sabotage.
Ian Levine‏ @IanLevine

An open public letter to Chris Chibnall.
Are you seriously trying to sabotage the show you loved ??
Your 1987 self would disown you after your idiotic choices.
I JUST HOPE YOU GET TO READ THIS
Ian Levine‏ @IanLevine

I never in my life thought anybody in the world could ever surpass JNT for sheer bad taste.
The Doctor died with Capaldi. The Chibnall era is non-canon.

There are no Doctors before William Hartnell.

Without respect, we reject.

#NotmyDoctor
matthewgeom1876

My wife, who is not in the slightest bit interested in Dr Who, suggested that it looks like someone who is trying to dress 'normally', but getting it a bit wrong.
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Apparently, some geezer called Patrick Goddard tweeted up this concept art for her rig-out, then deleted it. Looks slightly better as a drawing than the real thing, but not by much.

https://twitter.com/PaddyGod1/status/928639410048061440
Dr Scott

Bowtiesarecool wrote:Ian Levine's thoughts on the new outfit.
Ian Levine‏ @IanLevine

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me this is a REALLY bad joke.
Are the BBC trying to intentionally ruin and take the piss out of Doctor Who.
It's so stupid it can only be sabotage.
Ian Levine‏ @IanLevine

An open public letter to Chris Chibnall.
Are you seriously trying to sabotage the show you loved ??
Your 1987 self would disown you after your idiotic choices.
I JUST HOPE YOU GET TO READ THIS
Ian Levine‏ @IanLevine

I never in my life thought anybody in the world could ever surpass JNT for sheer bad taste.
:floorroll:

He really gets worked up doesn't he!

As far as Dr Who rants go, Ian's take it to another level and are pretty hard to top for sheer entertainment value alone.

#GoldJerryGold

Dr Scott
robbo13

Hes only voicing the opinions of many. The ones that aren't allowed an opinion without being classed as sexist biggots.
The only biggots are those that can't accept that some people just don't like the gender bending, it doesn't make them sexist.
shuzbot

Doctor Who costume designer explains how to dress a Time Lord
Ray Holman, the man behind Jodie Whittaker’s new outfit, reveals how he dressed previous re-incarnations of The Doctor
http://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2017- ... time-lord/
-JMW-

robbo13 wrote:Hes only voicing the opinions of many. The ones that aren't allowed an opinion without being classed as sexist biggots.
The only biggots are those that can't accept that some people just don't like the gender bending, it doesn't make them sexist.
It depends on the nature and intent of the comments.

"I don't want a female taking the lead in my favourite show because only a man can bring...blah blah blah" - possibly sexist and ignorant (and over-entitled)

"I'm accustomed to the character being male, and am unsure about this change" - probably not sexist

"The character has always been...blah blah blah" - probably not sexist (but intractable and incompatible with the nature of the show).

But this thread is supposed to be about the costume specifically is it not?
The costume (apart from the bra) doesn't appear particularly gender biased, so I can't see why it would evoke a sexist remark or a challenge to such a remark.

grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

JMW
Irony Maiden

I was hoping for that black hoodie thing we saw when they first revealed her as the new Doctor. That get-up is just ... meh. Well, I wouldn't be seen dead in it.
-JMW-

LizR wrote:I was hoping for that black hoodie thing we saw when they first revealed her as the new Doctor. That get-up is just ... meh. Well, I wouldn't be seen dead in it.
Maybe that's the point...getting away from the "anyone could wear it" styles of the previous new Who incumbents, and back to the eccentric tastes of all classic era Doctors from Hartnell to McCoy, without emulating any of them particularly.

JMW

LizR wrote:... I wouldn't be seen dead in it.
if I was dead I wouldn't care and at least people would know I had no choice and was dressed by someone on work experience at the morgue.
My next door neighbour mixed up her KY jelly with the superglue. I asked her how she managed that but her lips are sealed.
-JMW-

I guess a horizontal band of stripes is the fashion...

JMW
Irony Maiden

Kajaboy wrote:
LizR wrote:... I wouldn't be seen dead in it.
if I was dead I wouldn't care and at least people would know I had no choice and was dressed by someone on work experience at the morgue.
Fair enough, indeed I had a similar thought when I made the post but I couldn't think of a better way to put it at the time. (Maybe I should have said "I wouldn't be seen alive in it".)
-JMW- wrote:Maybe that's the point...getting away from the "anyone could wear it" styles of the previous new Who incumbents, and back to the eccentric tastes of all classic era Doctors from Hartnell to McCoy, without emulating any of them particularly.
Yes that could well be so, I wasn't concerning myself with the motives of the showrunner (or costume department), only the appearance of the result, which in my opinion "meh" is a fairly generous assessment of. I mean, whatever I may have thought of Missy, there was nothing wrong with her outfit, which seemed quite eccentric but in a tasteful way. This one seems more like it's been cobbled together with a nod to, as mentioned, the eccentricities of the classic Doctors, but without itself achieving something elegant or even interesting. It looks more as though having bitten the bullet and gone for a gender switch, they've now tried to de-emphasise that fact as much as possible with what looks almost like traditional masculine attire.
The above is only my humble opinion, of course. Feel free to stomp on it, I already have social anxiety disorder so I don't suppose you'll make it any worse.
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

-JMW- wrote:I guess a horizontal band of stripes is the fashion...
So much for getting away from "anyone could wear it".
-JMW-

LizR wrote:
-JMW- wrote:I guess a horizontal band of stripes is the fashion...
So much for getting away from "anyone could wear it".
Yeah, I thought that too. Then again we don't know if this lovely lady is wearing those dungaree trousers. Certainly no braces - but she does have a poppy in place of a stick of celery ;)

JMW

LizR wrote:This one seems more like it's been cobbled together with a nod to, as mentioned, the eccentricities of the classic Doctors, but without itself achieving something elegant or even interesting.
Yeah, no elegance there...definitely interesting though - a ton of media coverage, hundreds of thousands of tweet interactions and it's got you and I discussing it :)
It looks more as though having bitten the bullet and gone for a gender switch, they've now tried to de-emphasise that fact as much as possible with what looks almost like traditional masculine attire.
It's possible that the coat in that photograph is not seen to be sufficiently figure hugging because they want to emphasise the other garments which may also be more figure hugging if it weren't for the coat. In action maybe it looks closer to the design drawing?

Not many men (or women?) would wear that combination of items and colours....not many men could wear dungaree trousers cut above the ankle. Anyhoo - I like it...but I wouldn't wear it.

Thank you for your views though - you are likely to have a better insight into female clothing than I.

JMW

-JMW- wrote:
"I don't want a female taking the lead in my favourite show because only a man can bring...blah blah blah" - possibly sexist and ignorant (and over-entitled)
Bit off-topic but I had to address this. Doctor Who is a serial anthology. In serial anthologies, the characters are relatively constant and the viewer's interest is gained through the PLOT; you didn't watch DW to see what would happen between the Doctor and Sarah Jane, you watched DW to see what adventures they would get into.

The Doctor is a male character that plays against type. Instead of a two-fisted John Wayne/Clint Eastwood/(insert action hero here), the Doctor is a MALE character that solves problems in a typically FEMALE manner. HE talks his way out of trouble, in general. The character simply doesn't work as a female; to be consistent, we would have to have a FEMALE character solving problems in a MALE manner; i.e. Sarah Connor/Wonder Woman/(insert female action hero here). And there's still the point that female leads playing against type has been done to death already.

Back to the topic in hand, this is a fail for a number of reasons. The Doctor's dress sense is supposed to be vaguely Victorian/Edwardian, this is NOT something the Doctor as we have known him would possibly select. This, instead, is vaguely modern.

Return to “The Whittaker Era”

• Information