Things You LIKE About This Era?

Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

A safe space for people who want to express their appreciation for (either aspects of - or for the entirety of) this divisive era.

Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

I must admit, I was initially impressed by Segun Akinola's incidental music and it made a refreshing change of pace from Murray Gold's, which sometimes veered from crashing and pounding, running down corridor's music to twee, sub-Harry Potter, tension destroying chocolate box music.

Having said that - and negativity creeping back in to what is supposed to be a positive post - I feel that Akinola's music became more and more same-y as the season progressed. Like a musician was just improvising away in a chilled out manner and lobbing the results onto any scene, with little thought of how it might enhance the drama. Also thought the music sounded a bit "depressed" at times. The wrong side of dreary here and there.

But musically a new approach was somewhat overdue. I feel that Akinola needs to up his game after his potentially promising start now though...

viewforum.php?f=83

____________________________________________________________________________________________

I like the idea that the interior of the Tardis doors match the shape of the interior size and shape of a police box (but again, dammit, my positiveness falls apart when it comes to the actual console room).

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Bradley Walsh is, I feel, a good presence as Graham.

I liked the concept of a desperate Dalek rebuilding itself from whatever materials it could find, although maybe one solo Dalek was not epic enough for a special.

Some of the cinematography has, imo, been fairly beautiful here and there.

I also loved the concept and appearance of the alien race who had reached a point in their evolution where they spent all their time just keeping people/beings who were about to die company.

So there is, perhaps, some wheat to be found amongst all of the controversies and chaff? :)

paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Just two. You covered the first yourself CP with the quality of some of the direction. For me it's the shots of the Tardis landing, and placing in those shots. Beautiful. And then SHE steps out and I'm reminded that it's not my series anymore.

And Bradley Walsh. Like the guy and wish he was in a better version of the series. Everything else depresses me.
iank

I like that it's finally removed any pretence of New Who being canon to the original program and given me license to finally stop wasting my energy and time on it.
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
Bowtiesarecool
Former Team Member
Former Team Member

I like not watching it. 8-)

That part is fun. :)
The Doctor died with Capaldi. The Chibnall era is non-canon.

There are no Doctors before William Hartnell.

Without respect, we reject.

#NotmyDoctor
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

The one with the frog was OK, despite several bouts of silliness and the Doctor remaining the least clever person in the room (who spotted the mirror? Who worked out what the antizone was for? Who made wild illogical leaps based on childhood stories? Right, right and - sadly - right.)

But despite the soil eating and (weird and almost impossible) bear trapping and (distinctly weird) treatment of the blind girl by her father and illogical killer moths and the string that was cut, then wasn't, and the clunky explanations at the drop of a sonic (that no one picked up, weirdly, after fighting over it) - this was at least good enough to stand out amongst NewWho as, well, fairly good.

Faint praise, I know.
pmname

Theme and titles look excellent to me. I think the logo's the best since Tom's diamond(unless you count 8th/3rd).
The music's a refreshing change and can be wonderful at times, although why they have to stick with one composer for the entire series baffles.
Filming is nice.
The stories are a little carefree, the silly ones working better than earnest morality bores.

But;
Main cast are lousy, so much so that people single out Walsh for praise.
Tardis is a confusing, cluttered mess.
Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Bowtiesarecool wrote:I like not watching it. 8-)

That part is fun. :)

:lol:
darnall42

Bradley walsh was fairly entertaining but apart from that ,nothing ...horribly miscast doctor ,bland writing ,dull music- i sadly could go on and on about chibnalls who :)
Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

The dangerously unhinged, Joker-like edge of the new Master.....

.... and also liked the fairly cinematic and menacing music during his return......

See also......

Who is the Best New Who Master?:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7515

Rubbernecking

I like how it at least cuts to the chase. There's no scenes of them stuck in the TARDIS doing repairs or arguing to pad out the episode length.
Everything on TV or Film is actors in costumes talking to each other. It's all about are you able to lose yourself in them that you overlook that. Most times I can.
If I was after high art, this show would be the last place I'd look!
cloudy day

The music, the Master, Bradley Walsh. And now that you mention it, the cinematography as well.
We hope that our early successes make up for the embarrassing mess we’ve become. Like Facebook. Or America.
Eleanor Shellstrop
Zarius
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Jodie's a lot of fun, Ryan occasionally says dumb but highly amusing lines, Bradley is a treasure and I really like his chemistry with Jodie even if their interaction is often minimal, it's fuel for my fanfics 8-)

Still finding it difficult to find any worth in Yasmin.

Really enjoyed "Woman Who Fell To Earth", "Rosa" "Kerblam" and "Witchfinders" for one reason or another, "Kerblam" reminded me a lot of Sylv's era.

Like Sascha Dahwan's Master and enjoyed Spyfall very much largely for his interactions with The Doctor.
Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Have to say it....

Those new Cybermen. Loved the look of 'em.

Best looking New Who ones of all imo.

The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

I get a lot of the housework done and save a lot of money these days. I like that...
Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Must admit I liked the time-lapsed shot of Gallifrey's main structure being built.....

1:45 onwards in video.

What a waste of the talents of whoever constructed this shot to then see it bunged into such a ridiculous episode. :(

johnshoo

Cygnus Prime wrote:That lovely TARDIS interior.....

http://cdn02.cdn.justjared.com/wp-conte ... led-04.jpg

Yes, it's amazing they can build such good looking classic series-inspired TARDIS interiors. Baffling that they would then go back to that monstrosity that they're using for Jodie's TARDIS.
Caligari71

That sometime in the not too distant future it will come to an end.
ant-mac

Things You LIKE About This Era?
Um...

I'll have to get back to you about that.

PS - Love the TARDIS console room artwork.

A reminder of better times. :cry:
ant-mac

Return to “The Whittaker Era”

• Information