A SHOW IN CRISIS?: What Should the BBC Do Now?

General Doctor Who discussion hosted by Planet Mondas Forum.

What do you think would be the wisest course of action for the BBC to now take?

TOTAL REBOOT: Year Zero Reset/Hartnell Take 2!
10%
SUBTLE RETCON: (Stay in Same Universe/continuity, But Correct the Stupid Bits)
31%
MULTIVERSE RELAUNCH: (Switch to a Different Universe Where the Stupid Bits Never Existed)
20%
END IT NOW - FOREVER!: Total permanent cancellation! Forever! No revivals ever again.
29%
WHAT CRISIS?: Let It Be!
10%

Total votes: 49
iank

Indeed. The TV Movie was a US co-production made 7 years after the death (murder) of canonical Doctor Who.
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Doctor Who Executive Producer Matt Strevens Defends The Show After Fan Criticism:

https://boundingintocomics.com/2020/03/ ... criticism/

Doctor Who Executive Producer Matt Strevens recently defended Series 12 following fan criticism of the show.

Outspoken Doctor Who critic Gary Buechler of Nerdrotic declared that “Doctor Who died last Sunday and it doesn’t please me to tell you that.”

Buechler is not the only one to criticize Doctor Who, The Tardis Zone compiled a number of negative fan reviews following the conclusion of Series 12’s The Timeless Children episode.

Following this criticism Doctor Who Executive Producer Matt Strevens spoke with SMH.com to defend the show.

He stated, “I think it sort of cleaves to the basic principle we have and I’ve had on the show, but I think we all have, is you have a vision for what you want to do while you’re on the show, whether you’re the Doctor, whether you’re a producer, whether you’re a writer, and you see that vision out.”

He added, “And the conversation around what fans want and what audiences want, all that kind of stuff, you just have to trust yourself as a program.” He continued, “You can’t really be buffeted by those winds because people will change their minds.”

According to SMH in order to make his point, “Strevens points to a scene late in the season where companion Graham is confessing his fear to the Doctor and she responds by saying only that she is socially awkward.”

Strevens then explains, “Some people go, I just wanted her to say it’s going to be all right, and you go, yes, you do want that, but you don’t necessarily need that.” He adds, “It’s a moment for the Doctor to show she’s not human.”

He concluded, “We know the story and stories we’re telling [and] we will tell that to the best of our ability. You can’t get too sidetracked by the other stuff because the truth of any series of anything is that some people will like it and some people won’t like it. And that’s the only universal truth you can take.”

Strevens comments may sound familiar. It’s the same line the BBC complaints department issued.

They responded to the backlash with the following statement:

“Doctor Who is a beloved long-running series and we understand that some people will feel attached to a particular idea they have of the Doctor, or that they enjoy certain aspects of the programme more than others. Opinions are strong and this is indicative of the imaginative hold that Doctor Who has – that so many people engage with it on so many different levels.”

The statement continued:

“We wholeheartedly support the creative freedom of the writers and we feel that creating an origin story is a staple of science fiction writing. What was written does not alter the flow of stories from William Hartnell’s brilliant Doctor onwards – it just adds new layers and possibilities to this ongoing saga.”

It concludes:

“We have also received many positive reactions to the episode’s cliff-hanger. There are still a lot of questions to be answered, and we hope that you will come back to join us and see what happens, but we appreciate that it’s impossible to please all of our viewers all of the time and your feedback has been raised with the programme’s Executive Producer.”

These responses seem to ring hollow as all evidence points to the show driving viewers away and those that stayed having negative reactions.

The show has a 16% Audience Score on Rotten Tomatoes.

The finale, The Timeless Children, also posted Doctor Who’s lowest viewership in 170 episodes in the United Kingdom. It was viewed by 4.6 million people according to Doctor Who News. The last time viewership was that low was back in November 1989 with The Curse of Fenric: Part Four. Its viewership was 4.2 million.

Not to be outdone by the United Kingdom, The show posted it’s lowest ratings of the entire season for the finale on BBC America. TV Series Finale reports only 374,000 people tuned in, a more than 52% drop from the season premiere which had 790,000 viewers. Season 11’s lowest episode was 706,000 viewers. And Season 10’s lowest was 494,000.

What do you make of Doctor Who Executive Producer Matt Strevens’ defense of Season 12?
paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Saving face innit? The professionals in their official capacity have to show a united front, whatever might happen behind the scenes. Same with RTD's address to fandom about getting on board with the female Doctor or be left behind. That's not a nice message, and it looks as if the viewing public are in the same mind as long term fans (as opposed to those who joined with the new series).

I do sometimes wonder what RTD thinks of what the Beeb, Moff and Chibbs have done since he left. It's interesting to note that he left before the responsibility of the 50th and this female Doctor lark. Both nightmares he probably wanted to avoid. Now that in itself is reasonable after being in charge of the show and two spin-offs, and all the work he mentions during this time.

But I do occasionally wonder what he thinks of the differences between his ways, and the others. And what he himself would have done differently. There must be some stuff he thinks were mistakes that he wouldn't have made, but sadly we'll never know because of both professional etiquette and the fact they're his mates. But a little honesty in this area would be interesting to hear.
Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

paulhickling wrote:Saving face innit? The professionals in their official capacity have to show a united front, whatever might happen behind the scenes. Same with RTD's address to fandom about getting on board with the female Doctor or be left behind. That's not a nice message, and it looks as if the viewing public are in the same mind as long term fans (as opposed to those who joined with the new series).

I do sometimes wonder what RTD thinks of what the Beeb, Moff and Chibbs have done since he left. It's interesting to note that he left before the responsibility of the 50th and this female Doctor lark. Both nightmares he probably wanted to avoid. Now that in itself is reasonable after being in charge of the show and two spin-offs, and all the work he mentions during this time.

But I do occasionally wonder what he thinks of the differences between his ways, and the others. And what he himself would have done differently. There must be some stuff he thinks were mistakes that he wouldn't have made, but sadly we'll never know because of both professional etiquette and the fact they're his mates. But a little honesty in this area would be interesting to hear.

I do remember a quote of his, from about 2006, where he confidently said something roughly like "Doctor Who is good for another 40 years now!"

I do think he was wise enough not to feel he needed to answer unasked questions about the Doctor's origins etc (that no writer can ever do justice to satisfactorily anyway imo).

If only he had known what was to come. :death:
paulhickling
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Well, most of what he did in his New Who was added on, so being the caretaker for his tenure etc. There are no rules about Rasillon and there is time travel so any number of reasons could be made up for why he was suddenly around. Likewise the Cyber origin. He set it in another universe so side stepped the whole business of them being from Mondas.

Such things are moments of consideration, and not remaking the show from the beginning in his image, just his bit of it. Which is fair enough. I'm not saying I loved everything he did. But he does seem to now be the one of the three who has more respect for the past and adding his stuff at the end. The others want to do what he said he DIDN'T want to do, and that's reinvent the wheel.

I haven't forgotten his comments about canon of course so I don't trust everything he did and does....
Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Good point. I guess it is all too easy to look back at his tenure with rose-tinted glasses; especially in light of what the other two have done.

But yeah, out of the three, while none of them were perfect, I would say he was indeed the least offensive during his watch. :)
StarQuake
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

I pretty much hated what RTD did to Who, so it's all the same to me. He's a much better writer than Chibbers, but his tastes and mine are too far apart.
"Brace yourself for disappointment." - ericthehalfabee
DSJR

It is possible to revisit RTD's seasons with fresh eyes and find more to enjoy. I can't do that with anything really subsequent to that though and now I'm not sure I'll ever want to, sadly.
iank

Their desperation is becoming palpable, but given the absolute refusal to admit to the failure of either their ideology or the current program makers and lead (bet JNT and Colin wish BBC management had been this devoted in the mid 80s...) nothing will change, and they will keep searching for another bottom underneath the barrel they're all in.
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
johnshoo

DSJR wrote:It is possible to revisit RTD's seasons with fresh eyes and find more to enjoy. I can't do that with anything really subsequent to that though and now I'm not sure I'll ever want to, sadly.
RTD's tenure was maybe the most uneven in the show's history. One week you could have a fantastic example of what modern Who could be, like "Impossible Planet"/"Satan Pit", then the next two weeks you could get "Love & Monsters" and "Fear Her" and feel embarrassed that you even watch the show.
Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

I can't imagine that the high ups at the BBC really want to make a single episode more with Chibnall and Whittaker.

I am suspecting that they will delay any series 13 and 14 to the point where it's time to recast and find a new showrunner. Or cancel/reboot the show?

They already ran the "Doctor Who can't be made to the standard required under social distancing" malarkey. Perhaps it will just be a case of finding other excuses not to go into production? :?
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

The BBC should make a show full of canons.

Something focusing on the Charge of the Light Brigade would do.

Canons to the left of them, canons to the right of them in that story.

More canons than you can shake a stick at.

Of course in line with BBC policy the 600 will be ethnically diverse and consist of women, the Welsh and midgets.

Not historically accurate, but with shitloads of canons.
shuzbot

How can you have continuity when there's supposed no canon? Funny how some people think you can have one without the other, I mean continuity with what exactly? Either the whatever the BBC does or licences is canon or none of it is and if none of it is then there can be no hope of continuity. :monkey:

Return to “GENERAL DOCTOR WHO DISCUSSION”

• Information