"IF IT AIN'T ON THE PAGE!": Is It Jodie or Is It the Scripts?

What is the Main Failing of This Era?

JODIE'S PERFORMANCE: It's simply bad. (Don't blame the side-issue of good/bad writing! She'd make a hash of the greatest scripts!)
4%
THE SCRIPTS/STORIES: They suck! (I pity poor, well cast Jodie, stuck with this lame material.)
19%
BOTH: (Incurably bad Jodie and incurably bad scripts. Equally terrible - and well-matched!)
65%
NEITHER: This era works and both scripts/stories and actress are doing okay/fine.
13%

Total votes: 48
johnshoo

I suspect Jodie would come across better if her character were written to be more likeable.

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/doctor-who ... -93373.htm
Strevens goes on to address the controversial Graham/Thirteen cancer scene: “Some people go, I just wanted her to say it’s going to be all right, and you go, yes, you do want that, but you don’t necessarily need that. It’s a moment for the Doctor to show she’s not human.”
But apparently the Doctor has never shown basic compassion to a companion before and the audience are wrong for expecting that. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Not sure I agree with the following comment, as I still think she can't act very well at all - certainly not above soap opera level - but more than a few people seem to think that Jodie is more the Doctor here than she ever has been on the Chibnall era shows......

Sample comment....
Personally I put all the blame on Chibnall. This little video actually made me think, "*THAT* is the Doctor, not someone playing the Doctor". That tells me that it's not her acting that's the problem, it's that her scripts stink. Hopefully they kick Chibnall next season and get someone who can get the most out of Jodie.

See also......

How should Planet Mondas fight the Coronavirus?:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=7623

NEVER MIND MISCAST: Can Jodie Whittaker Even Act?:

viewtopic.php?f=98&t=7640

Heccypoo

Cygnus Prime wrote:Not sure I agree with the following comment, as I still think she can't act very well at all - certainly not above soap opera level - but more than a few people seem to think that Jodie is more the Doctor here than she ever has been on the Chibnall era shows......

Sample comment....
Personally I put all the blame on Chibnall. This little video actually made me think, "*THAT* is the Doctor, not someone playing the Doctor". That tells me that it's not her acting that's the problem, it's that her scripts stink. Hopefully they kick Chibnall next season and get someone who can get the most out of Jodie.

See also......

How should Planet Mondas fight the Coronavirus?:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=7623

NEVER MIND MISCAST: Can Jodie Whittaker Even Act?:

viewtopic.php?f=98&t=7640

Nope!!!

But kudos for trying to do something to reassure the kiddo's
Now that we all know about the rude bits, aren't they rude? And as we get older, they get ruder and ruder. :oops:
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

StarQuake wrote:Hey, The Krotons is really good fun.
Yeah, the Doctor was really in the soup. :)
Kamakiri63

Both. Chibnall and Co don't appear to be able to write a decent story between them but Whittaker is at best, a mediocre actress who is simply out of her league. She exhibits none of the qualities or characteristics I associate with the Doctor.
Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

The first scene she was handed in which to grab the viewers and prove herself.

But were Chibnall's inadequate scribblings working against her?

Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

The scripts are generally not very good (particularly in her first season) but really it’s Chibnall’s overall running of the programme that’s the main problem.
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Servorobot wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:13 pm
The scripts are generally not very good (particularly in her first season) but really it’s Chibnall’s overall running of the programme that’s the main problem.
E.g. his decision to cast Jodie.

(Maybe this should have been another poll option. I guess the "both" option more or less covers it.)
date542

It`s both I`m afraid---Matt Smith and Capaldi both had poor scripts in the past but were just about able to paper over the cracks with their performance...Jodie unfortunately has had a consistent run of execrable material plus the fact she has little understanding or feel for the character she is playing--didn`t do any research at all before starting...

I reckon most viewers were initially on board and were curious to see what she was going to do--viewing figures confirm this--she should have played it like this and kept the mystery...

instead we got this...

Return to “The Whittaker Era”

• Information