Will Chibnall's Third Season be Worse?

LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

Servorobot wrote:Come on Liz is Jacinda going to let anyone in from the UK at this juncture?
If they're prepared to go into quarantine for the required period I don't see why not (especially if they're likely to help the local economy... I'm sure Chibnall and Jodie will be scarfing whitebait fritters and Speight's).
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

LizR wrote:
Servorobot wrote:Come on Liz is Jacinda going to let anyone in from the UK at this juncture?
If they're prepared to go into quarantine for the required period I don't see why not (especially if they're likely to help the local economy... I'm sure Chibnall and Jodie will be scarfing whitebait fritters and Speight's).
Wise men follow the stars, so no hope for Chibs then. :lol:

And Jodie seems more of a crisp Central Otago Pinot Gris kind of gal to me.
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

Of course if they did bunk off to NZ to finish filming we may see the return of the much missed on set photos.

I can just see Jodie and Mandip sneaking off to the local Countdown to buy perky nanas and getting caught by the paparazzi.

Almost as exciting as a Chibnall finale.

Maybe we should have a thread outlining possible filming locations in NZ and stuff for them to do when they’re there.

I think Chibs should attend a Bledisloe Cup match at Carisbrook dressed in Aussie clobber.
DouglasWulf

Cygnus Prime wrote:The only entertainment value now imo is watching this very public car crash continue in slow motion. You know the car could just stop and the passengers and driver get out, but they insist on driving on, even as the car disintegrates around them. :?

If it is true (and this point can obviously be debated) concerning the current series that the ratings are down, merchandise sales are down, and that the fans overall don't like the 13th Doctor or Chibnall, what might then be done to save the show?

Instead of going to a 14th Doctor, I think this would be the perfect time to wind the timeline of the show backward to the 8th Doctor.

Paul McGann as the Doctor would be welcomed, I believe, by a majority of the fans.

He's an excellent actor, and could bring ratings back to the series, assuming the stories were at least decent. Since this is Doctor Who, there is no need for the show always to move forward in time in a linear way. Also, the 8th Doctor deserves more screen time, and fans would be interested to see more of the events leading up to McGann's regeneration into the War Doctor.

Jodie as the Doctor could just be put on hold. What happens when McGann leaves the show? Well, that could be figured out later. In the meantime, I think bringing McGann back could bring a lot of viewers back to the show. He's already established as one of the incarnations, so it wouldn't have much controversy connected with it if (in fact) the 13th Doctor and Chibnall were planning to leave.
“We can't expect that recovery of lost footage would follow a particular timetable.”
— Douglas Wulf, Missing Episodes Forum, May 8, 2011

“Douglas is spot on.” — Paul Vanezis, Missing Episodes Forum, May 9, 2011
LizR
Irony Maiden
Irony Maiden

They could do it as a flashback. "What did you do in the Time War?"
johnshoo

A McGann mid-quel series sounds good on paper, but the quality of the writing would need to be there to support it, otherwise there's no point.

That said, it's difficult to say what Chibnall will do for his third series. A common train of thought is that Series 12 was Chibnall's response to fans saying they found Series 11 too boring, so if Series 13 is similarly a response to criticism, then I think it could either be really toned down (due to backlash over the Timeless Child) or rely even more heavily on surprise twists like the Ruth Doctor or old character cameos like Captain Jack (since both of those seemed well-received).
shuzbot

Chibnall has said he doesn't listen to criticism, which is probably true or he would have just given up and handed over to somebody better or had Jodie regenerate into McGann
DouglasWulf

shuzbot wrote:Chibnall has said he doesn't listen to criticism, which is probably true or he would have just given up and handed over to somebody better or had Jodie regenerate into McGann

Just to be clear, I wouldn't recommend having Jodie regenerate into McGann such that McGann would somehow be the Fourteenth Doctor also.

Rather, I think it would just be good for the series to have adventures with the Eighth Doctor that are set prior to 'Night of the Doctor' (which has already been established in the series canon).

'Night of the Doctor' was something of a prequel mini-episode. More such prequel episodes could be done. In fact, the first episode could just be an expanded version of 'Night of the Doctor'. Start with 'Night of the Doctor' and then, as he is regenerating, more of his incarnation's life could flash before his eyes. McGann has has years and years to get comfortable playing the Doctor with all the Big Finish stories he has done.

If Jodie were quitting the series, her Doctor could just go on hiatus, or she could regenerate with the outcome of her regeneration not shown, as in the Troughton-Pertwee change, for example.

The Eighth Doctor is already established and known to fans. The Seventh-to-Eighth and Eighth-to-War regenerations have already been done. McGann could simply start having adventures which, we might hope, would be well written. There can be no guarantees about the writing, but we can hope.
“We can't expect that recovery of lost footage would follow a particular timetable.”
— Douglas Wulf, Missing Episodes Forum, May 8, 2011

“Douglas is spot on.” — Paul Vanezis, Missing Episodes Forum, May 9, 2011
shuzbot

DouglasWulf wrote:
shuzbot wrote:Chibnall has said he doesn't listen to criticism, which is probably true or he would have just given up and handed over to somebody better or had Jodie regenerate into McGann

Just to be clear, I wouldn't recommend having Jodie regenerate into McGann such that McGann would somehow be the Fourteenth Doctor also.

Rather, I think it would just be good for the series to have adventures with the Eighth Doctor that are set prior to 'Night of the Doctor' (which has already been established in the series canon).

*snip*
Yes, I do realise. I was referring to one of many fan theories about how to get Who on track. It's just that one stuck in my mind cos of Tom's appearance in the Day of the Doctor.
johnshoo

He says that. Doesn't necessarily mean it's true. I mean, it does seem like he made efforts to make Series 12 more "exciting" after Series 11 was criticized for being dull.

Return to “The Whittaker Era”

• Information