The GAME OF THRONES Franchise

Things that go bump in the night and all that.
chap with wings

It really is, epic and character driven. I support House Targaryen.
"It can become a kind of franchise where it's not a real character at all, but just an amalgam of elements that people think are Doctor Who: a scarf, a bow tie... I wanted to be the actual Doctor Who." - Peter Capaldi

Follow me on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/BlogFinish

My Big Finish Review Archive is here - http://blogfinishplanetmondas.blogspot.co.uk/
friendsofderek

I was a Stark supporter till I started reading the books ( got to do something till Season 4 comes out). The books make you think they really are victims of their own flaws. Rob is principled when doing so costs him half his army. And unprincipled ( goes against the arranged wedding) which costs him his head. His mum squanders the advantage of having the kingslayer for no gain ( and ultimately that causes her and her son's doom).

Ned's sense of honor causes him to try and do the right thing when it has already been proven that won't work ( the previous hand).

You feel the show really wants you to cheer on the Mother of Dragons and Jon Snow but the actors really seem keen on making that hard for you to do :) At least Tryell is a guy you can cheer on with ease :D

I do wonder what season 4's WTF moment is going to be. They really up the stakes each year.
"There's been a spillage."
friendsofderek

It takes a strange path to get where it is going but I'd never see it as bottling it or jumping the shark.

S2 is pretty interesting

Your biggest headache is keeping track of the characters, there are so many and they "rotate" so frequently :)

Winter is coming...
friendsofderek

While i love Battlestar Galactica they clearly had a rough idea of where they wanted to go and did a lot of winging it.

Game of Thrones should benefit from the author having a plan and several of the books already being out there. Mind you have has a couple still to write but i'd guess he's told the show his rough plans.
Allons-y

Robert Watkins wrote:This is a fantastic series, how come no-one told me about this before?
To be fair Rob, it has been talked about before on this very forum, so one could argue you have been told about it before.
chap with wings wrote:It really is, epic and character driven. I support House Targaryen.
On ya Chap! That's who I'm rooting for, Daenerys is really becoming powerful!
friendsofderek wrote:While i love Battlestar Galactica they clearly had a rough idea of where they wanted to go and did a lot of winging it.

Game of Thrones should benefit from the author having a plan and several of the books already being out there. Mind you have has a couple still to write but i'd guess he's told the show his rough plans.
He has told them, however particularly with their current regime of adapting each book across two series, I don't see the programme catching up with the books until at least 2018.
AMERICA IS AN ANVIL.

:4thDoctor: There's no point in being grown up, if you can't be childish sometimes!
friendsofderek

Allons-y wrote:
friendsofderek wrote:While i love Battlestar Galactica they clearly had a rough idea of where they wanted to go and did a lot of winging it.

He has told them, however particularly with their current regime of adapting each book across two series, I don't see the programme catching up with the books until at least 2018.
I've not read book 4 but i've heard it's a bit weird as it doesnt' follow from book 3 and runs in parallel with book 5 ( which does follow 3 but links to book 4). I know that sounds garbled but i've been told the fans of the book would also describe things that way ( not many happy people when book 4 came out).

that seems to give them a bit of a gift to split 3 over 2 series. Otherwise i think S1 and S2 matched the books?

I like Snow and Stormborn but they have really taken a while to build up and they keep looking promising then they pull the rug from under themselves.

Oddly the longer it goes on the more I'm rooting for the Lanisters. ( not the Joffery or his mum obviously...) But I do also like the younger girl Stark ( whats her name again, so many names in this darn show)

Big fan of the hound.
Allons-y

friendsofderek wrote:
Allons-y wrote:

I've not read book 4 but i've heard it's a bit weird as it doesnt' follow from book 3 and runs in parallel with book 5 ( which does follow 3 but links to book 4). I know that sounds garbled but i've been told the fans of the book would also describe things that way ( not many happy people when book 4 came out).

that seems to give them a bit of a gift to split 3 over 2 series. Otherwise i think S1 and S2 matched the books?

I like Snow and Stormborn but they have really taken a while to build up and they keep looking promising then they pull the rug from under themselves.

Oddly the longer it goes on the more I'm rooting for the Lanisters. ( not the Joffery or his mum obviously...) But I do also like the younger girl Stark ( whats her name again, so many names in this darn show)

Big fan of the hound.
Well I do like Tyrion!
AMERICA IS AN ANVIL.

:4thDoctor: There's no point in being grown up, if you can't be childish sometimes!
friendsofderek

Even the kingslayer has grown on me. sure he' brutal but you know he has some sort of code.
shuzbot

I watched the very first episode when it came out and just never went back. I don't intend to either! :monkey:
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

I keep reading the title as Game of Thongs :lol: . Can't say I ever seen the series, from what I can gather it's all sword and sorcery type sh*t with lot's of rumpy pumpy and people snuffing it all the time. For some reason it never appealed to me.
shuzbot

shuzbot

Game of Thrones street name in Australia causes upset
An Australian street name taken from the hit TV series Game of Thrones has been rejected after a resident complained that it was named after an incestuous couple.

The road in Charlemont Rise, a suburb of Geelong, Victoria, was named after Cersei Lannister and her brother Jaime, who are in a relationship.

It has now been renamed Precinct Road.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-41035706

FFS, they are not real people...
shuzbot

George R.R. Martin confirms the number of Game of Thrones prequel shows in development
We’ve known for a while now that HBO is developing a number of Game of Thrones prequel shows to air sometime after the flagship show is over. The network has retained several writers to work on the projects: Max Borenstein (Godzilla, Kong: Skull Island), Jane Goldman (Kingsman: The Golden Circle, X-Men: First Class), Brian Helgeland (L.A. Confidential, Mystic River) and Carly Wray (Mad Men, The bast*rd Executioner). Details are still scarce, but Goldman has said that the series she’s working on will be “recognizable as a past event” to fans.
https://winteriscoming.net/2017/08/24/g ... velopment/
Servorobot
Head of Security
Head of Security

shuzbot wrote:Game of Thrones street name in Australia causes upset
An Australian street name taken from the hit TV series Game of Thrones has been rejected after a resident complained that it was named after an incestuous couple.

The road in Charlemont Rise, a suburb of Geelong, Victoria, was named after Cersei Lannister and her brother Jaime, who are in a relationship.

It has now been renamed Precinct Road.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-41035706

FFS, they are not real people...
They're a bit weird in Geelong!
iank

Perhaps it was a bit too close to home. :P
(Doctor Who) has been hijacked and redefined as a lucrative modern franchise. They've literally taken a square peg and painfully made it fit a round hole by taking enormous liberties with much of its fundamental essence. There's no turning back now.

- ozymandias, The Leisure Hive 2010
shuzbot

:floorroll:
shuzbot

Could Game of Thrones's Dragons Really Fly? We Asked Some Experts
http://mentalfloss.com/article/503967/c ... me-experts
shuzbot

6 special features from the Game of Thrones season 7 Blu-ray/DVD you NEED to see (including an animated prequel)

http://www.gamesradar.com/6-special-fea ... d-prequel/
The Ginger Cat
Site Manager
Site Manager

Still ain't seen a second of this series. Anyway...

Naomi Watts to star in Game of Thrones prequel series
Cygnus Prime
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

A Season 8 featurette and trailer have been released.......

The first one a twenty-minute featurette which goes into the details of the second episode ‘A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms’ that aired last night including its key use of that song.
Plus a trailer for next week’s third episode, the much talked about82-minute ‘Battle of Winterfell’ episode. Click here for the videos......

(MAJOR SPOILERS)

[b]Episode 2 Featurette........[/b] [youtube2]dcqrNXKv628[/youtube2]
[b]Season 8:Episode 3 Trailer.........[/b] [youtube2]TdkS4Xazz7Q[/youtube2]

Return to “Fantasy, Horror and Supernatural”

• Information